close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Differential Equations

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by eingeist, Jan 14, 2010.

1. eingeist

eingeist

I'm gonna love this class!!

A bit of work I suppose.

Any tips or advice?

2. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

STUDY!

Seriously, if you passed calc 2, Diffy-Q should be no problem.

3. IA Glocker

IA Glocker

I've found that it really depends on the quality of the instructor. I know that you could say that about any class, but it does seem to make a difference in that class.

I had an instructor with a speech impediment. IT WAS A NIGHTMARE!!

4. eingeist

eingeist

The thing thatmade me most nervous is he kinda got quiet when he found out a couple of us were taking it with calc 3 and he prefered calc 3 to already be behind us. Much of the first class was "review" over calculus that I haven't done yet. :rofl:

he did say, though that after the first two weeks I won't feel so overwhelmed.
    I have to juggle calc 3, diffy q, physics, and a foreign languge while working 30+ hours a week.

Eh. No pain no gain. It's week one and I'm dead tired sitting at work. ZzZz

5. eingeist

eingeist

I will say, that I love the subject matter. I think DE will be my favorite class.

But the again, my foreign language class I have to meet with a tutor for an hour a week. I was pretty pissed until I saw her. :hearts:

6. Ronaldo

Ronaldo Ancient Member Millennium Member

DE needs to have a good foundation in both differential and integral calculus, as well as trig and basic algebra. This is where it all comes together. It took me three tries to make it through and thank G_d I didn't need to use it in my work.

Sounds like you have a hefty class load especially working 30 hours. Might want to consider dropping the language because memorization takes a lot of brain space...

Ronaldo

7. RHVEtte

RHVEtte

So long as your prof doesn't speak in monotone, you should do okay. I really should have recorded my prof's lectures. I could've sold them and nearly put Valium out of business.

8. Palmguy

Palmguy Boom.

Professor makes a difference on this one more so than others, in my opinion. I think I took it at the same time as Calc III...

Are you going to UNF, eingeist?

9. garyjandfamily

garyjandfamily

I agree. I had a professor who was a whiz-kid genius who couldn't understand why none of it was "intuitively obvious" to us, especially us Engineering Types. I took my C and ran out of there. I didn't learn much. Now, if I ever need to solve a differential equation (that's not an obvious one), I call my brother. His response is always the same, "That's a fun one!!!"

10. MDLibertarian

MDLibertarian NRA Life Member

Beuller. Bueller. :tongueout:

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Study. Lots of study. Do lots of homeworks so that it's ingrained into your head.

Find a study partner that looks either Indian or Oriental.

12. eyesnorth

eyesnorth

Multi-variable wasn't bad. Try diff eq w/ eng dynamics, calc based physics II, an elective, 6 kids and 40 hours+ at work. Not the worst course load for either of us, others have done worse.

My point...no real point...I just wanted to whine a little. Last semester kicked my butt. Thanks for listening.

What kind of freak thinks diff eq will be his favorite class? You've got issues dude.:supergrin:

13. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Back in the late nineteen hundreds, in a world where ...

ok. :) when I was in school, you needed Calc III to do Diff. Eq.

Amazingly enough, a few years BEFORE that, I did integration (CalcII/III) right out of high school, then differentiation (CalcI) the semesters following.

'Drew

14. MetalSlugIV

MetalSlugIV

Good luck. I am majoring in computer science and I had to take two calculus courses along with Matrix Algebra. I'm glad I don't have to take any more math. I have enough for my math minor and I am happy with that.

You could always draw some Pokemon on a quiz...

[​IMG]

15. Fracball

Fracball Authorized User

Work lots of problems. Then do more. If you have trouble understanding the theory, just accept it and move on.

16. bob_fuller

bob_fuller

17. Texas357

Texas357 Señor Member CLM

copy the problem statement. start each problem on a fresh page. follow the example problems. do your homework, even if it isn't being graded. you kept all your old calculus books, for reference, right? take good thorough notes in class, even on the stuff you'll remember. put dates on the notes, and put them into a binder.

Most of the "problems" people have are translating a problem statement into math. Once you have turned it into equations, (and figured out WHAT QUESTION IS BEING ASKED,) you have done the hard part.

Keep your work in order, and be thorough. There are no secrets or magic tricks; the examples in the book (and the words between them) contain all you need to know.

I tutor high school and college math, physics, chemistry, etc. People are amazed that I can help them through any problem they come up with. My secret process?
    1) find the index.
    2) find where the text book talks about the type of problem in question
    3) follow the example problem

the reason I say it is a secret process is that everyone seemed amazed and bewildered by it, and paid me big bucks to demonstrate it for them.

18. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

If you are in an engineering program pay attention. You will see this again in your senior year.

19. Texas357

Texas357 Señor Member CLM

and on your Fundamentals of Engineering exam..... and again a half-decade or more later, when you go for your P.E. license.

20. devildog2067

devildog2067

I guess I'm in the minority. I hated diffy q and it kicked my ***. I'd rather take quals again than do dif eq again.