close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Different issues with new Gen3 17

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by robotoid, Jul 23, 2012.

1. robotoid

robotoid

I finally got a chance to run my standard 200 round break in on my new Gen3 17 yesterday and had a few issues, but not the usual ones. The gun easily and problem free digested and ejected 200 rounds of junk ammo (WWB, Tula, Federal Champion, and Remington UMC). I only took two empties to the face. Now, the issues are....sights and mag release. I had to move the rear sight all the way to the right edge of the dovetail to compensate for the gun shooting left. Now, before you say it was me gripping wrong or bad trigger control, I had two other people, both highly trained shooters, fire a mag through the gun and it was consistent shooting left for all three of us. The gun has stock Glock sights (white outline U and white dot), but not plastic, I upgraded to metal ones (Glock brand rear, Ameriglo brand front). The second issue is the mags do not want to drop free when empty. I have 12 mags and they all did this. They are brand new and the Gen4 compatible most recent version.

2. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

...it's still trigger control

3. wespen125

wespen125

Put it on a bench rest and get back with us. I had the same problem with my 17 and contemplated drifting my sights. I first put it on a bench rest and low and behold, bulls eye every time. Just sayin!

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Glock has never advertised their magazines to be drop free, but most do drop free when empty. You will never, ever win a long distance magazine ejection contest with a Glock.:wavey:

Shooters, even experienced shooters, new to Glocks have a tendency to shoot low/left. Try shooting left handed.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  5. MonsterB

MonsterB

Glocks shooting left is the number one complaint from people who are not used to them. Im not sure how highly trained your buddies are, but I have seen more than my share of "experts" who couldnt shoot thier way out of a paper bag. Trying the bench rest is your next best alternative. Or have someone who you know is good with a Glock shoot it. Back before I knew how to shoot a Glock, I was low left constantly, to the point I almost gave up on the damn things. Now, I am better with a Glock than anything, but it took years.

6. Doughnutman_923

Doughnutman_923

:rofl:

7. Doughnutman_923

Doughnutman_923

I feel lucky because my first gun, ever, was a Glock. Guess I'm at an advantage and never really had a problem with that.

So then I guess my point is useless and a complete waste of space, time, and internet.

Yeah, probably.

8. 1eyedjack

1eyedjack Old Pirate

This. Only way to be sure...

9. robotoid

robotoid

I put in my extended mag release today and my "-" connector to lighten up the trigger pull (was running standard connector with NY1 spring). I'll have another range day with it somewhere where I can benchrest or sandbag it. I'm not new to Glocks by any means, I've been shooting them regularly since around 1990 when I got my first model 19, and I've never had one behave like this. I think I may need to look into another sight set up too. My eyes are really going the last few years and I can't seem to focus on the front sight so well anymore. I'm thinking of ditching the white U rear sight for a solid black with a wider notch.

10. 1eyedjack

1eyedjack Old Pirate

I feel your pain on the eyes. I put a set of Trijicon HD sights on my G17 Gen4 - Great sight picture in bright daylight and Trijicon's night sight picture is well known. They work very well for my aging eyes.

Hope you get it sorted out...

11. kaech

kaech

^ well theres your problem get that junk NY1 spring outta there and your groups should tightin up:whistling:

12. robotoid

robotoid

I've been running NY1 springs since the 90's too. The only Glock parts failure I've ever personally witnessed on the range was a broken trigger spring with the coil spring type (unless you count the guy who dropped his with the slide locked back, but can't blame that on parts).

13. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

It's the internet so we have no idea how good you are.

You are not new to Glocks, and had two others try it, so it is probably the gun and hopefully moving the sights fixed it. A bench test is a way to confirm.

But the important thing is that it hits where you want it to :)