different HK triggers?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Adamz04, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Adamz04

Adamz04

Okay this is a pretty basic question here. I'm a glock guy but have recently had the itch for an HK. Most of the pistols I've owned have had a glock like striker fire mechanism so I'm not to versed on sa/da, but that's beside the point. In my online reading about HK pistols I've noticed they have a sa/da trigger and a dao trigger option. I know how these different triggers work so I do not need an explanation on that. What I'm looking for is which one do you prefer or recommend? The gun will be used to punch paper and that is it. I'm really looking at the p30 in 40sw. Although I've handled the p2000sk I believe that is what the model was, and I think that one could replace my g33 for carry. For now though I think the p30 is what I'm looking at.

Don't know much about HK pistols so anything you could add about them would be great too. Thanks.

My local shop has a p30 for about 930$. Is that a good price?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  2. JBP55

JBP55

Visit HKPRO Forum.

3. WarEagle32

WarEagle32

The P30 is a great gun. I have always been a Glock man. I recently bought an H&K 45C. Before I bought it I thought I would eventually get a LEM, but I am going to leave it SA/DA. I like the trigger in SA just fine, and I keep it cocked and locked. I read where Ken Hackathorn and Larry Vickers said that it was as accurate as a custom 1911. I was skeptical, but they were right. It is a tackdriver and the standard trigger is just fine with me!

4. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

I have H&K with both LEM and DA/SA triggers. Can't go wrong with either one. The Light LEM variant is what's on my P30, and it took some time to get used to it, because there is a very light takeup, followed by a nice 4.5-5lb break. Once you get the hang of that, it's really fun to shoot.

The DA/SA variants are also very good. The P30 will have the decocker on the rear end of the slide next to the hammer. It is also a great trigger in SA, but I've shot better DA triggers...

I got mine from Top Gun Supply, and they have been great for customer service and for parts. Your price is a little high, so check this out:

http://www.topgunsupply.com/h-k-p30-.40s-w-da-sa-fixed-sights-v3.html

5. Adamz04

Adamz04

So is the LEM trigger the DAO trigger? Is there a regular LEM and light LEM trigger? I like to leave my guns stock so I'm not looking for aftermarket kits.

Does the LEM trigger have an exposed hammer?

6. drewcog

drewcog

Yes the LEM is the DAO, and its hammer is exposed (well, it lies flat as it does not have a spur, but it is external).

I have my .45 HK's in DA/SA as I tend to use them more at the ranch and prefer that setup. For CCW, I would personally recommend the LEM.

Compared to other DAO's (for instance Sig's DAK), HK's LEM is vastly different. The LEM has a long light uptake, and then a heavier break point. The LEM can be adjusted more ways than I probably know including Match-hybrid, Light, TGS (Todd Green), and the regular or "Heavy" LEM, by simply swapping out springs.

My current LEM's are the TGS variety and have a 2-3lb uptake, and then break around 6lb. The reset is short, you don't have to let all the slack out to get the trigger to reset. Overall, a great trigger IMHO with a lot of room for customizing to your needs.

7. bunk22

bunk22

I didn't do my homework and bought a slightly, slightly used HK P30 v3. The fit, finish and ergo's were just incredible. For me, the DA/SA trigger was not, could not get used to it, at all. I have not shot any version of the LEM but I think I would prefer it so if you get the chance to try them, might be a good thing. Good luck.

8. barth

barth

I have a Glock G27 with '-' + NY1.
    And a P30 40 V1 Light LEM.
    Added a FS USP Tactical Match HS and nickle plated flat sear spring.
    Regular Light LEM is ~4.5 lbs trigger.
    With the Match mods it's more like ~3.9 Lbs.

IMHO Glock folks wanting to go HK should consider Light LEM.

TopGunSupply P30 40 Light LEM @ $859.95
    http://www.topgunsupply.com/h-k-p30-.40sw-light-lem-fixed-sights-v1.html

9. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

bunk,

I spoke with an armorer in the service dept. with H&K, and they can convert your DA/SA to LEM (or Light LEM...) and you'll still be covered with a factory warranty.

The HK Forum guys have some excellent documentation on how to do it yourself, including the part numbers you'll need for the conversion. However, you will void the warranty if you do it yourself...

I actually prefer the Light LEM configuration, and will be converting (sending in) one of my .45 models to have that work done.

10. willieH

willieH

The P30 V3 has become one of my favorite guns with a SA/DA trigger, decocker sans manual safety lever. The P30 is designed as a service pistol and you will be sadly disappointed if you expect a light competition trigger. The double action is smooth but firm and once in single action the trigger is precise with medium resets. Shooting the P30 9mm is a pleasure and the trigger works much better than one might anticipate from dry firing. The real test of a gun is the elements working together allowing accurate shot placement and I'm happy to say this gun has it.

The grip is outstanding and you can almost customize the ergonomics. I'd recommend you check the ammo availability/price for 9mm and .40 before buying, especially if your going to shoot targets. In my locale, bulk 9mm is readily available at reasonable prices. Fifteen rounds in the mags goes quick. I got mine this January and if you look around you might get a better deal. Just so you know, there are better shooting guns costing less; the true benefit of the P30 is reliability and renown durability.

[​IMG]

There are several good P30 reviews on YT, this is one I enjoy. He gives a good idea of what to expect.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEc0QX_zDMo"]HK P30 9mm Review - YouTube[/ame]

11. JBP55

JBP55

Try before you buy. Quite a few have purchased an HK LEM and got rid of the pistol because they could not get used to the trigger.

12. glowrod

glowrod Fightin' Fire

I know you're looking for P30 info, but I run a V1 on my USPc and the trigger is ou la la. It is the best configuration I've come across. I just couldn't get the comfy feel of the LEM set up.

13. Adamz04

Adamz04

The vibe I'm getting from you guys is that most love their HKs and most like their triggers a little different. I do not have the funds to buy and try then sell for a slight loss and try again. It definitly sounds like I need to try these out before I buy one. It would be discouraging to spend 900$ and not like the trigger.

Barth says if your used to a glock trigger that the light LEM may be best. Would most agree with that? The single action on the p30 I dry fired felt pretty good.

14. grumpy1

grumpy1

I am a big SIG lover and decided to get an HK last November. I could not decide between the P30LS and the HK45 so I bought both brand new DA/SA.

I have come to really like them a lot and shoot them both really well. It took a couple extra range sessions to get used to the P30LS and within 300 rounds the trigger smoothed up nicely especially in DA. The SA is really nice and crisp in both with a little travel but no grittiness like the CZs or M&Ps I have tried. I like the triggers on both my HK45 and P30LS just as they are now.

As always it is best for anyone to first try a HK P30 before buying to see if it works for them before investing that much in a pistol. Seems like a fair amount of shooters don't end up liking them for whatever reason from comments I have read.

I also own a Walther PPQ and wow what a pistol for anyone looking for a new striker fired poly pistol to try. It just blew me away firing the first magazine through it.

15. grumpy1

grumpy1

I don't necessarily agree with that. I shoot both hammer fired and striker fired pistols and just love my DA/SA HKs. One needs to try out and make a decision for themselves. With the HK P30 the factory will not change it to DA/SA if you buy one that has LEM and you don't like it last I heard. Sadly around here you don't see LEM HKs for rent to try out.

Good luck!

16. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

The thing I dislike about my P2000 is the long reset. Can I change it to a TGS? How short is the TGS reset? As short as a GLOCK?

17. hoghunter82

hoghunter82 FL Glocker #182

I got a USP9fs and I sent it away to HK and had the Match/LEM Hybrid installed. I wanted to keep the safety lever as I like a spot to rest my forward thumb. I'm not sure there is even a Version for the configuration I got. The turn around was 24 hrs from HK. My experience with HK CS has been awesome. The great thing about the HKs I've owned is that you can literally set the trigger configuration up darn near any way you want- at least in the USP.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

18. drewcog

drewcog

This is the chart I use for springs and various LEM trigger configurations:

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-refer...g-reference-chart-different-lem-variants.html

It took me a while to understand, and is really just a hodgepodge of numbers until you have the actual springs in front of you, and have worked on a few triggers. You can search hkparts.net by these parts numbers to find the various springs.

For instance, my recently acquired P2000SK came factory LEM (V2) and to convert to V-TGS I simply had to replace the Firing Pin Block Spring (FRBS) with the light version. The Trigger Reset Spring (TRS) and Hammer Spring (HS) remained the same. Which springs have to be swapped depends on the pistol and the desired configuration. The V-TGS is somewhere in between heavy and light LEM.

My understanding is the various configurations principally affect the trigger weight, and not length. This may not hold true for the match triggers, but I have never messed around with those. I think they are more adjustable for length.