close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Differences in Gen3 Glock 19's

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by wrecks24, Jul 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. wrecks24

wrecks24

What exactly did glock change between older and newer glock 19's to cause this ejection issue, just he extractor or ejector? or did they change demensions of the gun or slide itself in any way? just trying to wrap my head around why the sudden issues with the same gen pistol. I bought my gen3 because I had heard of gen 4 issues and low and behold, I still got issues with my gen 3.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  2. 3/4Flap

3/4Flap

I think for the most part you are going to get only the sound of crickets as a response.

Nobody knows for sure what else was or was not changed and Glock ain't talkin'.

Would be fun to take an early Gen 3 and late Gen 3 slides and mike all dimensions for comparison.

3. wrecks24

wrecks24

Thanks for your response, I wish Glock would address these issues, I think they are gonna lose alot of business due to this. I am already debating trading my almost new 19 in for something else. I switched to glock for reliablity, but it seems that I may have to look else where.

4. Two Guns

Two Guns VIP MEMBER

What issues are you having with your new 19?

5. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

I would suggest you find a G 19 in good condition produced prior to December 2006,my 1999 produced G 19 just shoots,shoots and shoots any ammunition I feed it. back when the P in perfection stood for something SJ 40

6. G19Buckeye

G19Buckeye

I bought a pristine used Gen3 G19 and from the serial number it appears to have been manufactured in 2000. I have put just over 1,000 rounds through it and haven't had a single issue. From the sounds of it, I am glad I have an older G19.

7. brickboy240

brickboy240

You would do well to read the threads here as well as go to M4carbine.net's manufacturers board under Apex Tactical and read up.

According to the guys at Apex Tactical (...and they have done the most extensive testing) the newer MIM made extractors are the most likely culprit. They are slightly out of spec and can wear prematurely and cause the problems.

Glock will tell you to change ammo or send it to them for a different ejector but that is a 50-50 shot on curing the gun. In Apex's beta-testing, their machined extractors are working pretty well. Several well known people are running these test units and having good results.

Unlike Glock...that changes the make up of a part and just puts it out there for everyone to suffer with....Apex is actually testing and testing heavily BEFORE putting their replacement on the market. Refreshing, huh?

If you ask me...THIS will be the fix. Either wait for the Apex part or trade the thing for a 2nd gen G19 or another platform like the M&P, HK or Walther PPQ.

Those are your options, really.

If you got a recently made G19 and it runs 100%....count yourself lucky. However...MINE ran perfect until about round number 800 or so. Then it too started giving me all the problems other have had here.

That is it in a nutshell.

Glock took a pretty reliable beast and turned it into an iffy piece. Something SIG did in the past, so it is not altogether unusual for gun makers.

-brickboy240

8. wrecks24

wrecks24

I am aware of the Apex extractor, as I also am a member on M4carbine. Fortunately I am on my orders to Italy and cant take my firearms with me, so maybe there will be a fix by the time I get back stateside, at the going rate, it may be close.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  9. oldguynewglock

oldguynewglock

I have no issues with my G19 Gen 4 born in Feb. 2012.

10. dusty_dragon

dusty_dragon

@SJ40:
    why find a glock with date of birth prior to dec. 2006?
    what does this date say or stand for?

did they change something special after dec 2006?

why not prior to dec. 2007 or dec. 2008?

11. brickboy240

brickboy240

That is when the dreaded MIM extractor reared its ugly head.

I hope the MIM extractor really saved Glock tons of money, because they ruined their reputation in the process.

Seriously, if the Apex unit does not fix my G19, I am selling it at a loss, buying an HK USP compact 9, fitting it with the light LEM trigger and calling it good.

-brickboy240

12. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Brickboy said it better than I could have..
    I am not interested in any Glock post 2006,Ever. SJ 40

13. wrecks24

wrecks24

I bought my 19 a month or so ago, test fire date of MAY 2012. First time at range, I step up to the platform, fired entire mag, didnt notice anything, but as I stood back and watched my wife get burned on the neck twice was the start, ive had no FTF or FTE, but brass came back at us. I had an old POS PT145 that didnt even do that. maybe it needs more break in, not sure. but it discouraged my wife from shooting it and that is one reason that I went to Glock was for her to be comfortable with the pistol if the need ever arose. This is my first Glock and I want to love this pistol, love everything about it except for the ejection pattern. Fires great and I get great groups.

14. dusty_dragon

dusty_dragon

@brickboy 240 and SJ 40:
    thanks for the info, didn't know that, always great to have such a great source of glock-info like on this board here. thanks a lot

15. ken grant

ken grant

Not a 19 but I have a 26 (2005) that has crazy ejections with any ammo I have tried and almost always ejects the last rd. left no matter which one of 12 mags I use.

16. wrecks24

wrecks24

I hope Apex comes through and soon.

17. wrecks24

wrecks24

Ok, so i got so frustrated today about this Sh&T that I almost, ALMOST took it to my LGS to trade. But, I think I will hold off and see what happens with Apex and/or another fix. I polished my extractor just now and going to the range this weekend, hoping i can get some good results.

18. dusty_dragon

dusty_dragon

keep us informed on how the polishing-job worked

19. DocWills

DocWills

There was a steel milled extractor of good quality with aflat face. All was right with the world.

It got a hook to show loaded easier. harder to mill

Wanted cost lower and make hook easier.

MMC powdered metal with a thick sticky coat cause the original finish wouldnt stick to mmc.

mmc with thin coating.

mmc mold change to eliminate dip.

Think thats all I bought a couple of milled and swapped out, also polished off the thick coating on a bunch of guns.

20. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I have two G19 Gen3 guns and one hits me with brass while the other does not. The bad one has been to Glock twice and they say it is "Within Spac", whatever that means but it still hits me in the forehead with brass quite often.
    Both made within the last year.
    I have traded out extractors with a Lone Wolf brand and have seen no improvement. :steamed: