Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another thread I've been seeking input on a handgun for northern climates with heavier clothing, often in layers. I've gotten good advice regarding a G30 or G27 terminal performance due to bullet plugging. At this stage of the game I'm leaning more towards CC-ing my old Gen 2 Glock 23, probably OWB in a Glock sport/combat holster.

On the other hand, if Glock offers the veterans' Blue Label discount again, beginning on Memorial Day, the temptation is there to use some of my 'stimulation' (you know, that gift from our children and grandchildren) money to purchase a new G27 so I can use the G23 mags and the stock of Federal HST 180 grain cartridges I have on hand.

Should I proceed with my thinking about a G27 I have to consider the variables between a new Gen 3 or Gen 4 version.

I've had several Gen 4 Glocks and I like quite a bit about them, especially the reduced size of the grip, which fits my hand better than the G23. What I don't like is the overly aggressive grip texture against my bare skin. I know the texture of the Gen 3s is much less aggressive, but perhaps too smooth for a good grip in bad conditions.

Am I right in assuming the internals of the two guns are essentially identical, so function will be similar in terms of recoil, accuracy, reliability, etc.? Am I correct about the smaller grip on the Gen 4s?

Input is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I thought the one huge controversial difference between G3 and G4 Glocks was the dual recoil spring, which reduces perceived recoil but also reduces reliability for those that don’t have a good grip on the gun, for whatever reason. Those who know more will chime in, but I’m pretty sure the answer to you question about the internals being the same is “no.”

·
Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
8,936 Posts
I thought the one huge controversial difference between G3 and G4 Glocks was the dual recoil spring, which reduces perceived recoil but also reduces reliability for those that don’t have a good grip on the gun, for whatever reason. Those who know more will chime in, but I’m pretty sure the answer to you question about the internals being the same is “no.”
Recoil springs the same. Differences are trigger hump, notch in plastic to accept trigger spring and grip adapters.

Oops...supposedly better case support in the Gen 4 barrel , and ability to swap mag release for left handers.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would have a hard time going with .40 over 9mm. Personally, because I have way too much practice time with 9mm. However, if you already have the G23.2, then carry it! The 27 is still bulky and in my opinion I would prefer the 23 if I’m going to be layered up in the cold.

Cheers from AZ!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
587 Posts
I love the G27, personally I prefer the Gen3. The subcompacts already had the dual recoil spring as someone stated above.

I'm not a lefty, so I'm not worried about swapping the mag release to the other side.

I don't care for the larger mag release on the subcompact frames, doesn't bother me on the larger frames, just my personal preference.

You can't go wrong either way, both are great!

Vicb makes a valid point too about carrying it under layers. The 27 would offer less grip to get a solid purchase on if drawing from concealment in cold weather gear.
Your 23 would probably be easier to draw, again just my opinion, not at all trying to talk you out of a 27!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
One of the main differences is pretty much invisible. The Gen4 frames are now true .40 caliber frames, where as the Gen3 was a 9mm frame carrying .40 caliber components. Glock redesigned the Gen4 frame up to a thicker and heavier frame to help the pistol handle the excessive torque and recoil from the .40 round. That is one of the main reasons for the 2 spring recoil spring system. High round count in Gen3 .40's was showing more wear and damage then Herr Glock liked, so the Gen4 is a redesign for better longevity with .40 pistols.
Their are some other updates as well, such as the new positioning trigger return spring tab under the cruciform. Helps alleviate broken trigger return springs.
The Gen4 is a stellar Gen, in my opinion, best of the traditional Glocks. I have a Gen4 23 on my hip quite often. Great trigger, and I trust it explicitly.
Gen5's are a whole new kind of cat, but that's a story for another day.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
Gen3 (or Gen2.5) and Gen4 G27 pistols are almost identical and use the exact same parts except for six:

1. Frame - Gen4 frame has three differences.
a. Three different pull lengths are possible with the Modular Backstrap System. Gen3 allows only one pull length equivalent to Gen4 with M Backstrap. M and L Backstraps with beavertail option have been provided since 2012.
b. It uses a new Magazine Catch (item 2).
c. Grip surface texturing is improved.

2. Magazine Catch - Gen4 has two differences.
a. The push-button surface is larger.
b. It may be placed on left (normal) or right side of grip.

3. Trigger with Trigger Bar - Gen4 has two differences.
a. There is an alignment bump on right side of the Trigger Bar firing pin safety actuating arm that ensures it aligns properly during trigger pull when the Magazine Catch (item 2) has been placed on the right side.
b. The Trigger Bar attachment point for the coil Trigger Spring hook is redesigned to cause less stress to the hook, and so reduce failure of the Trigger Spring (the part that breaks most often in pre-Gen5 Glocks).

4. Trigger Mechanism Housing and Ejector - Gen4 has three differences.
a. It is shortened front to back to allow installation in a frame with the grip Modular Backstrap System (item 1.a).
b. The TMH attachment point for the coil Trigger Spring hook is redesigned to cause less stress to the hook, and so reduce failure of the Trigger Spring.
c. Ejector 28926 replaces Ejector 1882.

5. The Gen4-standard DOT Connector replaces the pre-Gen4-standard UNMARKED Connector. Because of a slight difference in Connector mounting angle in the Gen4 TMH and frame (item 1.a and 4.a), the UNMARKED Connector causes a 6.0-lbf pull in an OEM Gen4 pistol instead of the 5.5-lbf that it causes in an OEM pre-Gen4 pistol. The Gen4 DOT Connector restores the standard 5.5-lbf pull in a OEM Gen4 pistol. (Early pre-2011 Gen4 pistols may still have the UNMARKED Connector and heavier pull.)

6. Magazine Tube - Gen4 is slotted on the left side to engage the Magazine Catch (item 2) when it is placed on right side.

NOTES:
- All pre-Gen4 magazines work in a Gen4 pistol if the Magazine Catch is on the left side. Gen4 magazines work in pistols of all generations.

- G27 slides, barrels, and RSAs are interchangeable between Gen3 and Gen4.

- A "bumpless" Gen3 Trigger Bar works in a Gen4 pistol if the Magazine Catch is on the left side. It should not be used with a Gen4 pistol with Magazine Catch on right side because the resulting Trigger Bar misalignment during trigger pull may fail to lift the Firing Pin Safety adequately.

- The MINUS Connector (4.5-lbf in pre-Gen4) produces a 5.0-lbf pull in an OEM Gen4 pistol. The DOT Connector (5.5-lbf in Gen4) produces a 5.0-lbf pull in an OEM pre-Gen4 pistol.

- Since 2010, Gen3 pistols and new Gen3 TWTB and TMH parts are made with improvements 3.b and 4.b above.

- If desired, the grooved-face Trigger with Trigger Bar may be replaced by the smooth-face TWTB (part 357 pre-Gen4, part 3608 Gen4).

- ALL G27 pistols are Glock-sanctioned for 357SIG with an OEM G33 barrel. ALL parts (including sights) are identical between an OEM Gen2.5 or Gen3 G27 and an OEM Gen2.5 or Gen3 G33 except barrel and model/caliber marks on the slide's left side. The same is true of the Gen4 G27 and Gen4 G33 except for a very slight difference in ejector tip face slope that may be safely ignored.

Thus there are only six of the 34 official parts in a Glock pistol and magazine that differ between a Gen3 G27 and a Gen4 G27. Three of those parts (items 3, 5, and 6) can function in both Gen3 and Gen4 pistols, leaving only three parts (items 1, 2, and 4) that are absolutely generation specific.

IMHO, the Gen4 Glock is a superior product to earlier generations. However my Glock EDC for 24 years has been a Gen2.5 G27, using since 2012 a G33 barrel.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Didn’t realize the subcompacts already had dual recoil springs, good to know. If I was deciding, I would go with the G4 just for the grip size flexibility. I have a G3 Glock 22 and it’s just a hair larger than I like. I like the more aggressive grip texture, too.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
Didn’t realize the subcompacts already had dual recoil springs...
The G26 and G27 were introduced in July 1995 as a direct response to the 10-round magazine capacity limit of the September 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban. These were the first Glocks ever with these improvements:
1. Dual-spring RSA.
2. Finger grooves.
3. Thumb dimples.

The G26 was the first 9x19mm Glock to use a Locking Block Pin in three-pin frame.

These pistols set the pattern for the 1998 Gen3 Glocks and lacked only checkering between finger grooves to be identical to Gen3 versions.

When the G26 and G27 were introduced I was fully expecting to hate the finger grooves and thumb dimples as worthless features introduced only for BATFE GCA68 import points. When I was finally able to get a G27 in 1996, I found that those "worthless features" were in fact of substantial value for controlling a small pistol in a substantial caliber.

The dual-spring RSA has been used in all Subcompact Glocks since 1995 and all new-model Glocks (except G46) since the 2010 Gen4. They have twice the service life of single-spring RSAs and are very reliable.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to you all.

Mike-M, all I can say is WOW! You are someone who knows their Glocks. Based upon your input and the others, if I decide to scratch my itch and IF Glock revives the Blue Label pricing for veterans, I'll probably go with a Gen 4 and learn how to live with the potential chafing.

And, if I'm concealing in cooler temps, then I'll probably have a t-shirt to ease the chafing.

Great input, people. Much appreciated.

·
910 Posts
20200305_175300.jpg
I have a G.26 3 and recently bought a G.27 4 so I could use it with a oem G.33 barrel
I do use one of the back straps and the grip texture on the G27.4 is definitely more aggressive
Both are good pistols
I believe in adapting to the different guns so it will take some backyard range time.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Called the LGS and was told it would only come with 2 mags … $430 out the door.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's for a Gen 4. Not to worry, I've got three 13-round mags for the G23 and a 15-round mag from a G22. I'm good with that. Still have to justify it in my easily-persuaded brain. :)

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lowcountry - for some reason that's what I remembered, too. Three mags with all Gen 4 guns, but the sales clerk said the subs only come with two. I purchased a Gen 5.26 last year and it came with three mags, so who knows for sure?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Bradd, I do not recall, I think around the locking block area. I would have to compare frames. I got this information from Glock Instructors during Advanced Armorers class, and I was recovering from a killer cold at that time, so my memory is a bit fuzzy on some details.
Mike M. or Fastbolt could point out the difference.

Reactions: snowbird.40
1 - 20 of 22 Posts