Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
This is my first post on Glock talk. I own a G17, G23,and G27. They are great pistols. The question I have is this. My G17 is first generation that I purchased in about 1985-87 era. The barrel is thinner than any others that I have seen. The only thing I can compair it to is a S&W "pencil" barrels on the old revolvers. I ran into a Glock salesman a long time ago and asked him about it and he was rather "vague" and said if I gave it to him he would have a new barrel made and have the slide hole opened up to allow the new barrel to fit. I thanked him and decided against it as this pistol is extremely accurate as it is.
Thanks for any input anyone might have on this.
Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any idea why Glock went to the thicker barrels since this shot so good? thanks for the fast reply D.C..:whistling:

·
RetiredDinosaur
11,583 Posts
Yup, the early G17's had a smaller diameter barrel that folks like to call a pencil barrel. Why did Glock change to the bigger barrel? Can't say, I've never heard any reasoning for it.

If I may ask, what is your gun's serial number prefix and date code (the three small letters to the far right of the serial number on the barrel hood)?

Information I have shows that the pencil barreled G17's went from prefix's 'AA' through 'AM', but since only prefix's AA, AF, AH, AK, and AL were imported to the US, there would be only about 5000 such guns in the US.

I'm building a small data base on the early one's and expect your prefix to be one of those five, but just in case.....I keep asking.

Good decision by the way.....about NOT having the gun altered! :)

:patriot:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just a guess, but I believe they went to the larger diameter 9mm barrels when they started making the .40 Glocks. Since they essentially use the same frames, slides, etc., keeping the outside diameter similar would lower manufacturing costs.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Just a guess, but I believe they went to the larger diameter 9mm barrels when they started making the .40 Glocks. Since they essentially use the same frames, slides, etc., keeping the outside diameter similar would lower manufacturing costs.
I think that's what I have heard too. But the change must have increased the weight of the G17.... and probably reduced muzzle flip and felt recoil. Anyone done a recoil comparison?

·
Registered
233 Posts
If Butch's information is correct, Glock stopped using the G17 pencil barrel in 1986. Glock didn't start making .40cals until 1990 according to the Glock Serial Number Research Project.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think that's what I have heard too. But the change must have increased the weight of the G17.... and probably reduced muzzle flip and felt recoil. Anyone done a recoil comparison?
Glock could have reduced the mass in the slide to keep the overall mass the same.

A weight comparison would be interesting to see.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
I have read somewhere, that the Austrian army contract required the pistol to survive firing with a blocked barrel. Don't see how this could have affected the design because of the time line. Glock evidently sold quite a number, with the "pencil" barrel.

Back when the army was testing 9mm guns to replace the 1911, Ruger fired their gun with an obstructed bore. They threaded a steel rod and screwed it into the barrel with .1 in. clearance from the bullet nose to the rod, in the barrel. I got this from an article in the Rifleman, with pictures. This test blew the extractor, out of the gun. They replaced the extractor and put a normal barrel in and continued to fire it. I would assume that the magazine would have been ejected also, if it had one in the gun.
At

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Ser # is AL465 US on the bottom of the frame. Under the ejection port on the slide it has AL 465 and some proof marks. The barrel says AL465 (Proof marks) and btm in very small letters which is on the same line but higher because of being smaller. Hope I made myself clear on this description. Thanks for all the input on this and I hope my description helps with the project. Mike

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
For those that don't have two to compare, the 17 and 22 have different slides. They 17 has extra material around the locking block area so it makes sort of a bevel where the 22 is wide open all the way down the slide.

Who knows why glock does things. I still can't get over them not producing non-LCI extractors anymore.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts