Difference between different Generation Glocks

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by GlockoPopPopPop, Feb 9, 2010.

1. GlockoPopPopPop

GlockoPopPopPop

So i used that thread to figure out when my g23 was "born". I had purchased a used gun a few weeks ago. GREAT THREAD BTW

Found out it was made in June 2008. Gen 3.

My question is this, whats the main differences between the generations?

Also, did i luck out getting a used gun that was only born a few years ago? is that common?

I was happy when I saw that date because the guy at the store was trying to sell me on another one with night sites that was clearly older than the one i chose. I figured if i was gonna get night sites id wanna pick them out myself...so I got the newer looking "stock" gun.

2. M4J0R T0M

M4J0R T0M

Where is this thread you speak of?

3. E-Money

E-Money

Here is the link to the Glock Serial Number Project:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412093

The major differences:
    Gen 1 - no finger grooves or rail. Only G17s were Gen 1 with a handful of G19s.
    Gen 2 - no finger grooves or rail but grip textures is different (more aggressive?)
    Gen 3 - Finger grooves, more aggressive grip, and rail
    Gen 4 - (just came out this year) Basically a Gen 3 with a much more aggressive grip and redesigned dual-spring guide rod, bigger mag release, and the mag release is swappable from left to right

I'm sure there are plenty other details/changes, but those are the biggies.

4. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Until the coming of the Gen4, differences were all in the frames.....checkering, finger grooves, mounting rails.....or lack of same.

Other changes like the LCI extractors and the switch to using three pins on all frames did not occur at the same time as the frame changes.

The Gen4 guns though, have several things different about them to include the mag catch and the recoil spring assembly, as well as the slide and frame.