close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Difference between a wireless router and WAP?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ArmoredSaint, Feb 15, 2005.

1. ArmoredSaint

ArmoredSaint

So confused, I'm getting a new home built and want it networked with my computers and printers. Is there a forum, website or book to learn all this?

2. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

3. proguncali

proguncali 1911-2004 CLM

A wireless router does your routing and has an access point built in. The WAP is a point in which you access your network, hence the name Wireless Access Point.

;c

4. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

+1

And the wireless part means that there's less wires (shorter wires too) than if it were not "wireless". ;)

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Think of a WAP as a hub; no real switching, routing or packet filtering goes on, but there is usually some security built into them to limit SSID broadcast and most can be set up to filter access based on MAC addresses.

At its base, it is a sort of bridge normally used to extend the range of the signal while also doing its part to prevent signal collisions you would see if the 3+ machine network was set up ad hoc.

A WAP should always be behind a regular router with an actice stateful firewall, and should always have SSID Broadcast shut off as soon as the WLAN is up and running.

Have fun!!

6. LoWRyDa

LoWRyDa Homercles

That setup is awesome, i wish i had that, right now i have all those wires just strung throughout the house and behind desks, lol

7. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

Additionally a WAP can be used to recieve a wireless signal and turn it into a wired connection at a remote point so if you need to actually plug something in you can do it using your wireless network yet locally create a wired station.:)

8. engineer151515

engineer151515

9. ArmoredSaint

ArmoredSaint

thanks for the info all, but why is the WAP more expensive than a wireless router, you would think it's the other way around. My builder wants $1300 for 1 WAP (Motorola built into the ceiling, looks like a smoke detector), 3 CAT5 lines anywhere in the house, 4 port 10/100 router in the basement. The products are from OnQ Technologies and installed by Brinks home Security, yes they do networking now!

http://www.onqhome.com/jahia/Jahia/op/edit/lang/en/pid/390

10. proguncali

proguncali 1911-2004 CLM

That link doesn't work..

The difference is that you're getting a hi quality item there that is installed.

Most people go the cheap route and get a Netgear, or real cheap and get a Dlink.

11. ArmoredSaint

ArmoredSaint

good point and I fixed the link, thanks!

12. greenlead

greenlead

A bit of advice: Have them install as much CAT5 and RJ45 wall outlets as possible. You never know where in the house you will want to plug things in, and running it now sure beats tearing things up later.