close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dieting Advice

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cmb19, Mar 27, 2010.

1. cmb19

cmb19

Alright, I'll admit I'm not fat, but I have lost pretty much all muscle tone from being sick. I have also been doing nothing but eat for the last few months and that's beginning to show. :crying: I'm getting married in October..I need to make that expensive flipping dress look good.

I need you guys (and girls obviously) to help me out...I despise exercise, I HATE fruits and vegetables, and I will not run..actually, I can't run, my lungs hate me if I try. Now that I've mentioned all that, does anyone have recipes or just foods and snacks in general that are fairly healthy? I will eat apples and oranges (or similar fruits to oranges) and potatoes and corn...and carrots if they're cooked with a beef roast. I live on meat/potatoes/bread/pasta/rice/cheese/chocolate. :supergrin: PS I will not give up chocolate so don't bother mentioning it.

I need recipes that are flavorful and possibly incorporate veggies without being able to taste them and exercises that are simple and affective. I realize this all sounds completely impossible, but I need a place to start.

I have a couple weights..15lbs and a missing set of 5lbs, an exercise ball, and a dog that will be getting lots of long walks as soon as my Gentle Leader comes in the mail.

2. timetrial-pro

timetrial-pro

Hi, I have been an athlete for a very long time and now that I'm older it takes longer and is harder to train to keep up with the younger studs. You first and foremost have to make it a life style change, you have to change how you eat and when you eat, also you have to put on some muscle period. There is no other way, muscle is the only thing that burns fat period. You have to put on muscle and eat better and less of it, it is not easy at all but you will feel better once you make that turn in your life.... Need help let me know....

3. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

IMHO, you will need to increase your protein intake to build up your muscle mass.

I use THIS STUFF in skim milk post workout.

For breakfast, I have one of THESE (stay away from the chocolate deluxe, it is nasty, I can't vouch for any of the marshmallow ones as I haven't tried them, and the revolution bar ROCKS and the others are good) as a meal replacement and had great luck when I was working out.

To put on healthy muscle, protein is a must.

Dieter says "hi".

I actually thought the thread was titled dating advice and got all excited and stuff :sigh:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  4. cmb19

cmb19

I hate this whole "eat less" thing...I love food so very, very much. :crying: I'm working on it...trying to figure out how many calories I should attempt to eat a day.

Do those bars and stuff actually taste good and keep you filled up? I've tried alot of the Slimfast shakes and bars and I actually love those, but I'm usually starving within an hour.

Does protein in the form of chicken work too? I could make jokes but I don't want any mods mad at me and I might make myself nauseous. :supergrin::ack:

If I was in the position to be dating I wouldn't be asking for advice, I'd be asking who wants to come visit good ole Pennsylvania. :supergrin:

Oh, almost forgot Hi puppy!!!! :hearts:

5. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

:hearts: :drool: (that drool smiley is a good one to use in this situation :rofl:)

Yes, chicken is a good source of protein, and the bars (especially the revolution) are good. The 2 fruit ones, the peanut butter, and chocolate chip ones are good as well. They keep me full until lunch. They sell the smaller sizes at my WalMart if you want to buy one of each flavor and try them out.

Lean protein will help you accomplish your goal with some resistance training.

6. Twisted Steel

Twisted Steel And Sex Appeal

You sound like the perfect candidate for the Zone or Atkins diets.

7. cmb19

cmb19

Oh thanks, now every time I see that drool smiley I'm gonna be thinking of inappropriate things. :rofl:

I'll pass on the fruit ones, but if they sell them at Walmart I'll have to look around and see what I can find.

I'll have to look into the Zone and Atkins diets, I'm not really familiar with them.

8. BradD

BradD

No need to buy a book for the Zone: http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/cfjissue21_May04.pdf Very easy to follow.

The simplest way to eat well, that I know of is described at http://www.simplefit.org/nutrition.html

You can eat chocolate every now and then, but if you think you can eat that kind of thing regularly and do well, you're kidding yourself. I think a lot of people who do well allow themselves one cheat meal per week. Pick a time, like Friday evening and eat whatever you want then. Crank up the intensity at other times. Obviously, the more you exercise, the more you can fudge the diet and still get and stay lean. In general, though, it's about impossible to out-exercise a bad diet unless one's about a 13-22 year old male who could eat 3 large pizzas per day and stay lean.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  9. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

You're gonna have a hard time.

Best things to do:

Focus on lean protein and complex carbs.

Completely rule out white rice, potatoes, white bread, sugar, etc.

Rule in:

Fish
    Shrimp
    Chicken
    Lean beef
    Lean pork
    Brown rice
    Sweet potatoes
    REAL whole wheat bread (careful here)

Lift the weights you have. Start walking. Doesn't have to be hard. Get out and walk 20 minutes twice a day, listen to some music or a podcast. Increase as your lungs will tolerate. Carry your some little hand weights with ya.

And, I have a broccoli recipe that even broccoli haters like:

But the big bag of fresh broccoli at sams and a couple of lemons
    steam the broccoli 15 minutes
    melt a stick of butter
    Zest a lemon, add to butter
    pour over broccoli
    salt and pepper to taste

yes, you can lose weight with buttered broccoli

10. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

you sound very similar to my girlfriend ..

the only thing left for you is something like biking,

a treadmill and just work what you can,

walking / hiking ,

possibly light jogging,

light weight lifting ..

11. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

really 15 minutes of steaming for the brocoli ?

that sounds like it would be very cooked ..

i like mine about 2-3 minutes in boiling water ..

12. therepublic

therepublic

No offense, but I've met people who are way more motivated than you to get into shape, and 90% of them never made it. It's a lifestyle change, not just something you do 15 minutes a day 3 times a week :) If it were easy, everyone would look good.

In all honesty, what separates the people that stick with it from the people who don't...the ones who stick with it go out and find the information themselves-because they want it. Despite the fact that it's all over the internet, the rules are simple and they have never changed. You want to lose weight, eat less calories than you burn and exercise. You want to gain weight, eat more calories than you burn and exercise.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  13. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

Doc Atkins is your solution.

http://www.atkins.com

At some point you will have to leave your couch and get some sort of exercise, but rather than just exercising for the sake of doing a workout do something (physically outside) that you like to do.

14. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

I know of people who eat completely raw and have lost a lot of weight. I starting eating raw in 2002 because I had all the problems associated with poor digestion: gas, bloated feeling, constipation, diarrhea, etc. I tried everything under the sun before I stumbled on this.

I lost some weight I needed to lose, but then it wouldn’t stop. I eventually stabilized and gained back some weight. I eat what everyone else eats except it is not cooked. The nutrients and water remain.

Since you made such a firm stance on chocolate, then I have to harass you. Try some cacao (below) and see what you think. And no, it’s not that lousy carob stuff.

[​IMG]

15. glock19_fan

glock19_fan ... --- ...

Hate exercise? Don't do something you hate.

Try things like belly dancing, kick-boxing, tae-bo, line dancing, laser-tag, paint-balling, anything that requires movement but is not boring.

16. cmb19

cmb19

Thanks everybody...I'll look into all the links anyone left for me. For those of you telling me it's a lifestyle change, I need toned up mostly and just would like to lose a couple pounds. I can't allow anyone around me to know because they all want me to gain a few more pounds..they don't understand I'm back to where I was and I think I look like s***.
    I think honestly the biggest reason I don't like fruits and veggies..other than some I really just don't like the flavor..I have texture issues with foods and those all have nasty textures. I'll have to think about that broccoli recipe..butter and lemon makes everything good.

I've actually thought about bellydancing..it looks fun. :supergrin: There's no options for classes where I live...classes for anything..so I'm totally on my own and have to find videos online.

17. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

If you do nothing other than eliminate simple carbs and replace with complex carbs, you WILL lose weight.

18. JASV.17

JASV.17 Prime Example

As was said, find something you like to do, and it won't seem like exercise.

As for diet, something to add that others have already said...eat more meals, but smaller. Drink a glass of water before each meal.

Diet and exercise go hand in hand, but the diet MUST be proper in order to sustain you through the exercise. You seem to like the outdoors, so take up hiking. Lots of great trails here in PA. Find some with inclines etc. Do you like to bike?

But really, it doesn't sound like you need to lose much weight. I think you'll find if you just get more active than you are now, and cut back on snacks etc., you'll be good to go. A few pounds are easy to lose. I think some good old standard push-ups, crunches and some curls with your weights will help you get the tone back that you're looking for.

19. cmb19

cmb19

I actually love to hike, but with my work schedule and living in a town at the moment it makes it hard, that's why I'm so stuck on getting my dog to walk nicely on a leash. I used to ride bikes all the time when I was little, but I have big problems with my knees and hips and they'll start locking up or hurting me within a few minutes.
    I managed some crunches last night..the dog didn't make it easy, but I think her attacking my legs and arms will actually help me out. I also found my fiance's ab wheel or whatever it's called...that thing should be interesting and might even work, but it does kill my knees.

20. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker