Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any diet pills (even prescription from doctor) work?

I am not talking about the ones that keep you from having the munchies. I am talking about ones that speed up the metabolism.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Why look for a pharmaceutical solution to a problem that isn't there? Bad idea.

If you want to speed up your metabolism eat smaller meals with higher frequency.
I eat 6 times a day and it runs like a well oiled machine.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Plenty of people jump on the band wagon of weight loss at this time of year, most last about 2 weeks. Weight loss is all about getting your intake in balance, reducing drastically your carbo intake and replacing it with protein and fruits and vegetables. Too much food on the shelves of the stores is chocked full of calorie rich carbo. I was on a paleo type eating plan a number of years ago, really did not do any heavy exercise routine and dropped about 25+lb. It does take some will power for the first few weeks until you identify the foods that will be calorie rich carbo and avoid them. For me plenty of what I drank was the problem, plenty of sweet tea. To put it in perspective, a can of Coke has about 53 grams of carbo in it, you should consume no more than 80 to 120 grams a day. So a coke and a few cookies puts you at the limit, so no sandwich bread for the rest of the day. Exercise meaning cardio and weights (talking about 40 minutes and some walking) along with diet is the healthiest routine to follow, skip the pills

·
l'Italia s'è desta
7,500 Posts
It's calories in versus calories out, with moderate-and I do mean MODERATE- exercise.

I lost 58 pounds in 12 months by walking 30 minutes a day, five days a week, and eating exactly 1000 calories a day less than was needed to maintain my starting weight. I soon learned to eat those foods that satisfied me with the fewest calories. For me it was a peanut butter sandwich for breakfast, a light lunch which included lean meat and carbs, and a large salad in the evening with low fat vinaigrette dressing. You will soon find what works for you.

Speeding up your metabolism chemically may cause you to lose some weight in the short term, but you will soon gain it back because you haven't changed your style of living. And who knows what the long term damage to your bodily systems will be from those chemicals?

If losing weight were as simple as taking a pill, we all would be lean and mean.

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
cornerexit, ARP, You are not answering the question.

I am fighting the battle of the bulge and have been most my life. This is a multiple front war. The question is only for one skirmishing point and it is very specific.:wavey:

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
I'll step out onto the limb here. Yes the pills will work, go to the specific doctor and get some suggestions and a script if they will write it. Here is the problem you already stated, "life long battle of the bulge", the pills, they are not a final solution. You can not go on them for life and not expect some side effect, or go on them and continue your life style/ diet and expect to survive this. What if bariatric surgery is the answer? You ready to do that? Get the bands placed to restrict stomach space? If you are speaking of the over the counter snake oil that causes your heart to race like Lipozene or something from GNC? Personally, I would prefer to see a doctor, if your really concerned, have your thyroid checked etc., if you are serious about the weight loss and you just are not getting the results you want.

·
Registered
31,668 Posts
Keep in mind that pharmaceuticals are poisons, we just know, most of the time, how to dose them so they don't kill you too quick.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
There is no cure all diet pill. Not every system works for everyone either. Science tells us one day that it's about small meals and then the next it says fasting is best...they do not know for sure but in general eating less calories will typically help you lose.

·
Registered
476 Posts
cornerexit, ARP, You are not answering the question.

I am fighting the battle of the bulge and have been most my life. This is a multiple front war. The question is only for one skirmishing point and it is very specific.:wavey:
Yeah I got your PM (unnecessary).

What I described works. It's proven.

Smaller meals on timed frequency (say every 3-4 hours) works. I used to be a trainer and have studied nutrition ad nauseam.

Low calorie meals 4, 6, or 8 times a day makes the metabolism really work. The body has a memory and when the body knows more food is on the way in 3 hours it does not store as much fat.
You eat at the same time every day, give or take. And yes, you do have to plan, it's work. But it isn't difficult. Buy some Tupperware and when you cook, make extra to pack.

It's the first thing I do when I focus on weight loss. No fast food, no junk food, no sweets. 300-500 calorie meals 4-8 times a day depending on the person and their metabolism. Heavy focus on eating at the same times every day so the body knows when food is coming.

Go talk to a doctor or nutritionist and they will tl l you the same thing. My ex was a nutritionist btw.

What is required is a lifestyle change. Cutting out crap food, eating healthy, light to moderate exercise. Until that lifestyle change happens, you can buy any pill ever created and it will only work briefly, very short term. Until you decide to change your lifestyle and habits nothing will change.

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll step out onto the limb here. Yes the pills will work, go to the specific doctor and get some suggestions and a script if they will write it. Here is the problem you already stated, "life long battle of the bulge", the pills, they are not a final solution. You can not go on them for life and not expect some side effect, or go on them and continue your life style/ diet and expect to survive this. What if bariatric surgery is the answer? You ready to do that? Get the bands placed to restrict stomach space? If you are speaking of the over the counter snake oil that causes your heart to race like Lipozene or something from GNC? Personally, I would prefer to see a doctor, if your really concerned, have your thyroid checked etc., if you are serious about the weight loss and you just are not getting the results you want.
And that is why I want a specific drug name so I can do my research ahead of time.

IF you don't know, then you don't know, but I was hoping not to get the same fluff.

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I got your PM (unnecessary).

What I described works. It's proven.

Smaller meals on timed frequency (say every 3-4 hours) works. I used to be a trainer and have studied nutrition ad nauseam.

Low calorie meals 4, 6, or 8 times a day makes the metabolism really work. The body has a memory and when the body knows more food is on the way in 3 hours it does not store as much fat.
If you want to do it here, then we will do it here. I was trying to be polite.

No it does not make the "metaqbolism really work" and has been proven in clinical research. If your ex is a nutritionist and is continue to tell this same story, she needs to read more research.

This is from 2 seconds of googling.
http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/6_meals_a_day

A study from the University of Ottawa found that on a low-calorie diet, there was no weight loss advantage to splitting calories among six meals rather than three.

A second study found that switching from three daily meals to six did not boost calorie-burning or fat loss. In fact, the researchers concluded, eating six meals a day actually made people want to eat more.

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is no cure all diet pill. Not every system works for everyone either. Science tells us one day that it's about small meals and then the next it says fasting is best...they do not know for sure but in general eating less calories will typically help you lose.
I have a feeling a thousand years from now and the doctors then will look back on the doctors now and see them as we look at monkeys flinging poo. Think about it less than 100 years ago popular medicine was recommending blood letting. :shocked: Who wants to go have some blood let out of their system because they have pneumonia?

·
Registered
476 Posts
A study from the University of Ottawa found
:rofl:

Interesting that anyone I ever worked with that did this along with mild exercise lost weight. Nobody said you have to eat six times a day. Some. 4 meals works, others eight.

But hey do what you want. I keep my metabolism working 24/7, 6 meals a day, including a small one right before bed. I'm at 15% body fat.

You are right. Instead of doing this buy some pills.

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
:rofl:

Interesting that anyone I ever worked with that did this along with mild exercise lost weight. Nobody said you have to eat six times a day. Some. 4 meals works, others eight.

But hey do what you want. I keep my metabolism working 24/7, 6 meals a day, including a small one right before bed. I'm at 15% body fat.

You are right. Instead of doing this buy some pills.
So basically you didn't have a controlled study? Why don't you write a paper and tell the medical community how you have the end all be all solution to weight loss. I am sure the world will beat a path to your door.

People dieted and exercised more and lost weight. It has NOTHING to do with altering their metabolism.

You don't have my medical records and you know nothing.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
do a Bing or Google search for prescription weight loss medication, I'm sure you will come up with many hits for that. Compile a list of about 3 or 4 and start reading. Pay close attention to side effects. I did this already, and the side effects could be devastating from the weight loss meds.

You come across as a little frustrated with the forum members that tend to steer away from medication and more towards a lifestyle change. Perhaps find a weight loss forum that might be further in tune with your desired outcome? I mean, it IS a gun forum, what did you expect?

I think ultimately the pills are for people who if they do not lose weight soon, the host of diseases related to being over weight will cause them significant harm long term. Pills are the last resort, next to last would be band surgery. And even with that, food choices MUST change. Tell you what, I'll challenge you for the next 7 days you commit to paper everything you put in your mouth and get a base line consumption number. I think there is an app for this called my fitness or something like that. Gives you a calorie count. This will give you an idea of where you need to cut and replace. Strive for a balanced diet 40/40/30, protein/carbs/fats.

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
. Tell you what, I'll challenge you for the next 7 days you commit to paper everything you put in your mouth and get a base line consumption number. I think there is an app for this called my fitness or something like that. Gives you a calorie count. This will give you an idea of where you need to cut and replace. Strive for a balanced diet 40/40/30, protein/carbs/fats.

Been there, done that. Not planning on doing that the week of Christmas/New Years because it is pretty nearly impossible to do and go to the events I am expected to attend.

The app is called myfitnesspal. There is a android and web version. It is a good app for food consumption. Mobile is great for when you are on the go, but the web version is much better if you can sit at the computer and plot and plan. It is an ok app for tracking workout information and blood pressure and weight, BMI, bodyfat, muscle amounts..... I found I was better off using a spreadsheet for that.

·
Knicker Knotter
4,719 Posts
Been there, done that. Not planning on doing that the week of Christmas/New Years because it is pretty nearly impossible to do and go to the events I am expected to attend.
At the risk of offending you it seems you are indeed looking for a magic pill.

The comment "...it is pretty nearly impossible to do and go to the events I am expected to attend." tells me you want to eat what you want, when you want, and as much as you want, but not experience the inevitable consequence.

You could always say "no thanks". I do it all the time. Tough shyte to anyone who takes personally my refusal to eat too much.

·
Registered
12,549 Posts
Yes there is a pill. I took it last year. Federal law required that I be examined by a physician every 30 days. Can't remember the name. I was told that the problem was that when people went of the pill they gained all the weight back. Caused all food and even water to taste like poop

Then, this year, I went on a radical diet with no snacks, colas, refrigerator, fast foods, restaurants. Lost 55 pounds in 6 months. Haven't put back on the weight. NO pills for that weight loss.

It is a matter of not snacking at all. Takes a few days for the body to adjust.

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
At the risk of offending you it seems you are indeed looking for a magic pill.

The comment "...it is pretty nearly impossible to do and go to the events I am expected to attend." tells me you want to eat what you want, when you want, and as much as you want, but not experience the inevitable consequence.

You could always say "no thanks". I do it all the time. Tough shyte to anyone who takes personally my refusal to eat too much.
I don't want to play the game this week is a problem for you?

So if you have every had a drink of alcohol, you are an alcoholic?

If you ever use a drugs (including caffeine), you are a drug addict?

So you never go on vacation? If you do, that makes you a layabout and want the government to support you.

If you don't carry a rifle with you then you must not care about your personal protection.

Your logic is flawed. And you are still not answering the mail.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts