close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Diesels and Hybrids really starting to catch on.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Slug71, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Slug71

Slug71

Probably been discussed before, but I was browsing around the web and stumbled on a few things that I thought I would pass on. Seems we are slowly getting on the right track. Or at least so it seems.
    The love affair of Diesels and Hybrids are definitely growing in the U.S though.

First I stumbled on the new 2014 Mazda6 diesel which will go on sale next year;

http://www.worldcarfans.com/1121129...onfirmed-for-us-and-new-grand-am-gx-endurance

Volvo is also producing a version of their V60 that will be a Diesel Plug-in hybrid. Thought that was pretty interesting but just read that the U.S version will be powered by a gasoline engine instead of the diesel one. :dunno:

GM will also be releasing a diesel version of the Chevrolet Cruze next year as a 2014 model;

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/09/2014-chevrolet-cruze-diesel-will-use-urea-injection.html

If the Carbon E7 ever makes it to production, it too will be diesel powered;

http://www.carbonmotors.com/machine/specifications

Not going to post links but BMW are bringing a few diesels to the U.S between 2013 and 2014 too.
    Honda is releasing their Accord plug-in hybrid from January next year.

I just hope we see some good developments in the batteries with all these hybrids coming to market now.

A little O/T. but both Hyundai and Toyota are supposedly releasing a hydrogen fuel-cell vehicle in 2015.

Also found this piece of a South African company that will be building a plant in Louisiana that will turn Natural gas into Liquid fuels;

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/04/b...l-plans-first-gas-to-liquids-plant-in-us.html

Seems like we are on the right road to energy independence. I guess time will tell though. I'm pleased to see the new Diesel offerings making it's way over this side though.

2. Wil Ufgood

Wil Ufgood GTDS #88 CLM

I wish Jeep would offer the Wrangler with a diesel option here. That would kick ass!

3. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

Audi has a bunch of Diesel and Hybrid models in the works for the US. The Q5 has a new 2.0T hybrid, and the Q5, A6, A7, A8 and Q7 are all getting a new V6 TDI. The A8 will also be getting the 2.0T hybrid.

4. 427

The .gov is the biggest reason we as a nation aren't energy independent.

BTW, we have to go to China, with hat in hand, to ask to be sold the rare earth metals needed to make these vehicles. So, we aren't, in the near future, going to be "independent".

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  5. Slug71

Slug71

Actually I think I did read that the Q7 and A3 models already have a diesel option in the U.S.

6. Slug71

Slug71

7. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

Yup, the current A3 has a 2.0TDI, but the next model may or may not. The Q7 has an older version of the 3.0TDI, the newer one coming out is higher output.

8. MAC702

MAC702 Senior Member

Bummer. There is a "low emission vehicle only" sign at a close parking spot at one of my banks. I love parking my Dodge Cummins diesel dually pick-up there. Now everybody's gonna get to park there!

9. Slug71

Slug71

Good point.

10. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

11. Slug71

Slug71

12. Slug71

Slug71

13. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

And relatively quick. 6.4 seconds 0-60 for a huge car like the A8 with a 240hp V6 is impressive. Of course, the 406ft-lb of torque helps. My A6 3.0T would wipe the floor with it, but I only average 22MPG, so it is worth the trade off.

14. FLglockdude

FLglockdude

I don't understand why hybrid technology is the way it is. Why do we rely on batteries versus a small gasoline or diesel powered generator to provide electricity to power and electric motor. Think of how a locomotive works. It seems to me that a small two or three cylinder diesel running at a constant RPM would be significantly cheaper, lighter and more efficient than the current technology. Plus it isn't like this is brand new technology, it is being used in tons of industrial and commercial equipment.

Sent from my Obama phone.

15. Slug71

Slug71

LoL. Yeh that ain't bad for a car of that size.

16. Slug71

Slug71

I also thought about that. The only thing I could think of is that batteries are for the most part maintenance/care free. Since there is no moving parts, there is no risk/costs of mechanical break down.
    I remember reading a while ago, that a company called Altairnano is working on a battery called Nanosafe for the Navy. It is to replace the diesel generators in their Frigates and Destroyers. I'm sure the technology from that will make it's way to EVs and Hybrids eventually too.

I think with all the above, the gadgets we have today and the increased use of Wind and Solar power(which also utilize batteries), we should see major advances of battery technology in the near future.

At least Hybrids and Diesels should become more affordable soon I guess. :dunno:

17. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

The batteries are there for non-fuel energy capture. Plug in charging and regenerative braking save a lot of gas when you're in a stop&go city with outlets everywhere.

Trains convert to electricity because it's easier to control and it's very efficient when you don't stop and go. I can't imagine the monster clutch and insane number of gears a tranny would need to walk hundreds of tons of freight up to 50 mph. Much better to use electric motors that you can just nudge along with motor controls.

18. TK-421

TK-421

Because you don't always need the fuel powered engine, and why run it if you don't need it? Apparently you can get like up to 40 miles on a charge before the engine needs to kick on. Most trips are less than 20 miles or so. So why have the engine running for those 20 miles if you don't need it to? Electricity is cheaper than gas, from what I hear. You go on your 20 mile trip, you come home, plug your car in, recharge the batteries, and you're all set, without using a single drop of fuel. The generator is there if you need it. But if you're just bumming around town to the grocery store, or something like that, a lot of the time you won't need the engine.

19. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Audi R8 TDI. My dream car.

[​IMG]

20. Slug71

Slug71