Glock Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4,072 Posts
Originally posted by Allegra
Guys a couple of motoring questions:

How long do you warm up a diesel engine sa umaga?
How about kung if the engine is still hot after use?

How long do turbo diesels need to be cooled down?
Paano kung short trip[ lang ( 10 min )and the vehicle barely exceeded 40kph , does it still need to be cooled down?
Salamat
Modern engines do not need to be warmed up, especially diesel engines. On the old carburetted gasoline engines, yes. A cold carb especially on the old VW engines "ice up" on startup especially when there's lots of moisture in the atmosphere. But on fuel injected engines, a good 30 seconds is sufficient.

What's important during start-up is for the oil to lubricate the engine fully before applying any load on the engine. Drive slowly during the first few kilometers to bring the engine up to operating temperature (that includes the engine oil).

Turbines need to be cooled down if:

1) You have been driving in excess of 100 kms constantly for about 30 mins.
2) Your vehicle is carrying extra load or towing a trailer.

One and a half minutes of cooldown is sufficient. Refrain from idling the vehicle excessively. This only wastes fuel and low oil pressure is not good for the engine.

One thing that I may add to save fuel is to PROPERLY inflate the tires on your vehicle, and install the RIGHT SIZE TIRE. I've seen a lot of people in the Philippines oversize their tires for aesthetics and lowering the tire pressure to give them a softer ride, but the results are not good. Oversized tires and low tire pressure put strain on the engine, drivetrain, and could make the vehicle unstable and stop longer.

Tire data is found usually on the driver's door of the vehicle. Follow what the tire data says and it will give you the comfort, stability, fuel economy and performance. Fuel savings could come to as much as 5%.

Check your air filter regularly and replace if dirty (especially on turbocharged engines). Use the right viscosity oil for the vehicle based on the ambient temperature, and change the oil every 5,000 kms or 6 months, whichever comes first. Cut the oil interval to half if you're always carrying heavy loads or towing a trailer.

· Registered
4,072 Posts
Originally posted by antediluvianist
Not much difference anymore, percentage-wise, between price of diesel fuel and gasoline . And most gasoline engines can run quite well enough on regular; premium not necessary. So, is it worth getting a diesel-engined car? I am thinking of a Pajero, one of the new big ones, but.....
Got to try my parents' Toyota Hi-Lux when I went to the Philippines in May. They bought the 3.0l intercooled 4x4. I reached speeds of up to 140 kph with the Hi-Lux. A friend of mine got his Hi-Lux to reach 180 kph. The acceleration was more of a gas engine than a diesel engine with no turbo lag.

Not bad for a diesel engine.

· Registered
4,072 Posts
Originally posted by Allegra
Whoa, almost forgot!! Salamat sa info isuzu!!
No problem!:)

My brother has a Trooper and the injectors also malfunctioned. Good thing the dealer replaced them for free.

He told me that the symptoms were hesitation and jerking. I think the transmission as well as the engine is controlled by an ECU.

I still like the 4JA1 engines (the ones on the Crosswinds). Super easy to maintain and cost effective, too.

· Registered
4,072 Posts
"A friend of mine got his Hi-Lux to reach 180 kph."

Where could that have happened? the NLEX?
Highway north of Bacolod from Talisay to Silay which is a four-lane highway. The acceleration of the new Hi-Lux is really fast. I just stayed at 140 kph. For me, that was enough for a pick up truck.

· Registered
4,072 Posts
"A friend of mine got his Hi-Lux to reach 180 kph."

Where could that have happened? the NLEX?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

"Highway north of Bacolod"
----------------------------------

Man, that sugar ethanol stuff must be pretty powerful!
using ethanol on a diesel engine with a compression rate of 21:1 vs. a gas engine with a compression rate between 7-9:1 would damage the pistons.:)

BTW, even oil-rich Alberta is putting up a bio-diesel refinery using Canola oil north of Edmonton. They know there's no end in sight for increasing fuel prices.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.