close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Diesel, how many miles can they go?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JAY-TX, Jan 13, 2010.

1. JAY-TX

JAY-TX

A guy down the street from me is selling his truck. It's a 97 ford f-250 turbo diesel. It's been very well maintained and is very clean, but it has a ton of miles on it. 373k to be exact.

How many miles can you expect to get out of a diesel? I don't how many liters it is. What would you guys expect this truck to be worth? Any help would be appreciated.

2. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

While it may last a bit longer I would consider it as needing a new motor at any time. I think that is the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

$3500-$5000 maybe.

3. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

Some 7.3's have gone for 1/2 million miles. If you know for a fact its been well maintained and in good shape ,It would probably be a decent truck to own. I have a 01 F350 with the 7.3 and would not take a million $$$ for it. I have found out over the years that the 7.3 is a fairly easy engine to work on to a point. Should you need to replace the engine, you can get a Jasper reman for around $6-$7000.

4. GlockontheRocks

GlockontheRocks

I have a 95' F250 with 175k on it. It will probably still do another 350K with little to no issues. It has been a great vehicle. If it has been well maintained, it will probably go to 500K with normal upkeep. Ask the guy if he has records.

5. 540mope

540mope

the motor should last many more miles if well cared for. the rest of the drivetrain and suspension will need replaced or rebuilt before the motor does

6. JAY-TX

JAY-TX

I just called on it to see how much he was asking for it. He was not home, but his wife told me that he is asking 6k for it. Is it just me, or does that sound awful high for a truck with that many miles. She did say that he would negotiate on the price though.

I would think with that many miles, I might have to worry about more than just the motor. It is an excellent looking truck though, and it has everything I'm looking for.

Any ideas on what my counter offer should be when I talk to him tomarrow?

7. 45reloader

45reloader Live Free

I would pass unless he rebuilt the rest of the truck.The motor might be fine but think of everything else,Brakes, shocks,ball joints,steering,exhaust,ect.

8. loki993

loki993

I wouldn't touch a vehicle with that many miles, unless it was a fantastic deal and still then I would have to think long and hard about it. Im sure it will last a lot longer. Id say any modern fuel injected gas motor should be good for at least 300k no problem and Diesels even more, but that's still a scary amount of miles. You can find anything with less? I love Diesels, but thats one thing I dont like about them. The command a heavy premium even with extremely high miles because people think they will go forever. Sure the motor may, but what about the Alternator, Starter, Water pump, Ac compressor if it has one, Injection pump, that's a biggie, wheel hubs, springs etc etc etc... see what I mean. Plus I don't tow anything so I cant justify the extra cost.

9. sigpro357

sigpro357

If I remember right the injectors on those 7.3's are fired from oil pressure. Where my father use to work they had alot of 7.3's in medical transport ambulances. They had one with about 500K on the odometer and the original motor. Alot of times when they began to run bad or high mileage they would replace the inectors. Like a new motor at that point.

The 7.3 is bulletproof. The 6.0 is a piece of ****.

10. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Been my experience that the Powerstroke and Duramax get better mileage and have better power while they last, but are no more durable than a comparable gas motor.

Worked on too many 7.3l Powerstrokes w/ less than 300k on them that wouldn't start below 40F without a block heater and burned a quart of oil every 500 miles. Too worn to maintain compression.

I would walk away from anything but a Class 8 with that many miles. Run away if it has an auto tranny.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  11. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

Most of the time the Glowplug relay goes bad, Its a $30 item that takes about 15-20 mins to replace . As far as oil, mine drops about a 1/2 gal between oil changes which is 5000 miles, its done it since day 1 and is normal from what I've read.

12. HEMI 27

HEMI 27

Let me rephrase. RUN AS FAR AND FAST AS YOU CAN IF IT HAS THE 6.0L!!

7.3 is a great motor but I would still be weary of the rest of the truck.

I did a NADA search and it says the vehicle in excellent condition is worth $5700. Granted I didn't select any options as I did not have that info. He the only owner?

Also That mileage and year model makes around 28k a year. Sounds like mostly highway miles.

13. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

BTDT, most still had issues.

A diesel shouldn't require glow plugs to start at 40 degrees anyway.

14. PISTOLHUNTER

PISTOLHUNTER

no, but its is a lot easier on the starter. :tongueout::supergrin:

15. KING-PIN

KING-PIN

Tell him you're willing to give $500 TODAY for it.

:whistling:

16. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Check www.thedieselstop.com
    It's the Glocktalk of Ford Diesels.
    I sold my '94 F250 Offroad 4x4 with a 7.3 IDI and 130,000 miles for $3K 18 months ago.

Edit to add: Averaged about 13 MPG. Pulling a 4-horse trailer...12 MPG.
    The E4OD transmission is the weak link in the train.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  17. mnglocker

mnglocker Rope Czar

One of my friends has a 95' with 390 on it, still runs well and pulls his bobcat just fine. He's got the 5 speed in it though and he's very anal on maintainence. One thing to watch out for on the F-250's is the ball joints too. They'll do okay under normal use but if you hang a plow on it, they're effed.

And being a 97' it's the last year of the older body styles with twin-ibeam uspension. It'll have a 7.3 powerstroke in it, all in all a great motor. If the EPA didn't crank down the emission standards, Ford would still be using it.

18. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

i would think as others have said, 6 k + another 5 to 7 k for a new engine..say you get another 50,000 miles..
    i'd look into some thing else..
    imo

19. DukeNukem

DukeNukem

With that many miles, you have to consider how long you'll keep it. While diesels last a long time, they do wear out and they might be more expensive to rebuild than a gasser. I don't know if the 7.3 uses press in sleeves or not, if they do, it might not be too bad to rebuild. 6k is too much for the truck I will say that, unless it's a crew cab or something and it better be immaculate. As stated, injection pumps are expensive, probly around 1500, i've never done one on a psd, they are around that on a cummins though. You need to see maintenance logs for the vehicle. Especially coolant. Powerstroke diesels need an additive in the coolant to prevent cavitation, which erodes cylinder walls. What kind of loads did the truck carry? Idle hours on the engine? That is high miles on a light truck, even if the engine is good.

ETA: I don't know what truck prices are like in your area. Check Kbb for a range. Around here a southern truck might bring that money, down there maybe not. I probably would be looking at 3 or 4k for it though. Tough call without seeing it. For a little more than 6k you ought to be able to find one a little newer with less miles. I've seen immaculate 7.3s go for about 11k here with about half that mileage. I don't really have a problem with 6.0s either, but a lot do. They had their issues when first released but I wouldn't be scared of one now. We got plenty of em at work and they do fine.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  20. Gusrattle

Gusrattle 'OP'

Skip the powerstroke and find a nice 2nd gen Cummins with 300k miles.... :whistling: