close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Die cleaner and case lube

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Snapper2, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Snapper2

Snapper2

What do you guys use to clean your dies and how often? I'm looking to buy a cleaner and a neck lubricant for a RCBS 400 corbon steel sizing die I just bought. This die is different from my lee sizer(has an expander plug) and the case necks need to be lubed on the inside. I've already polished the expander but it still pulls on the neck a little too much and is changing the headspacing. I've been using lee resizing lubricant but I'm not sure what to clean it with.

2. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

In the rare times I load rifle rounds, (used to load 'em a bunch), I use a dry mica. I simply roll an appropriate size neck brush in the mica, screw it on to the vertical base and and run the case necks down over it.

The mica reduces the friction of the expander ball and helps reduce neck stretching... the mica also eliminates any chance of powder contamination.

I hear a lot of people use the Hornady One Shot Case Lube to accomplish the same thing. It probably works just as well but it came out decades after I started using the dry method and I'm just too lazy to change. (Years and years ago I even used baby powder to do the same thing... not only am I lazy... I'm cheap too.)

Jack

Oh, almost forgot... to clean the inside of the dies all you need is some alcohol and Q-Tips... dries without any oily film.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010

3. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

What Jack said. But I never used baby powder.
    For cleaning dies, I have used cigarette lighter fluid with shop paper towels, or brake cleaner. I clean them maybe once a year or if I use cast bullets about every 500 to 1000 rds. Or sooner if I get a lot of lube build up in the seat die.
    For rifle dies I cleaned the sizer die about every 500 rds.

4. Snapper2

Snapper2

Thanks guys, ya'll are always alot of help.:cool:

5. dudel

dudel

+1. I also use bore cleaner on a patch around the appropriatly sized brush. Gives it a good scrub; but won't harm the carbide (or steel if it's a rifle die). If it's good enough for a bore, it's good enough for a die.

6. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta

Hornady Oneshot lube for cases. Hornady Oneshot gun cleaner and dry lube for cleaning.