Did you see CBS News's Highway disrepair story?

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by FThorn, Jul 10, 2007.

1. FThorn

FThorn TV/Movie Club

They went through all these 'ills' and then mentioned Indiana's 'creative' privatize/lease.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/07/09/eveningnews/main3033705.shtml

I just thought it was interesting that they used it as the first POSITIVE example.

"Some states are coming up with creative funding solutions: Indiana is leasing its turnpike to a private company; "

2. slewfoot

slewfoot Random Mayhem

I am still confused about the legality of this. Who empowered the politicians to sell or lease public property without a voter referendum?

In my state (PA), the present governor is trying to sell our turnpike and place toll booths on interstate highways(I80&I95).

As far as I know, these interstates are maintained by funds collected through fuel taxes. If these highways are privatized, what happens to the tax money?

As I understand this deal, the company that buys or leases these roads will then be responsible to maintain the highways, thus relieving the tax payers of the responsibility.

I have yet to hear what our state government plans on doing with the money raised by the fuel taxes that will not be needed.

One thing is certain, taxes will not be reduced, so who benefits from this?

3. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Broken Member

1. Look in the mirror, you empowered them by voting for them.

2. The gas tax money will still be spent on other projects. It is your job to ensure that it is wisely spent.

3. The citizens of the state should benefit. It is up to the person in the mirror to ensure that they do.