Did you record your lectures in school?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by geofri, Jan 30, 2010.

1. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

Yeah, ive got a lot of questions today.. you should hear some that i decided not to ask today!

Anyway, ive gotten the advice from GTers and others, and I think it would help to record my class lectures. I'm a pretty auditory learner.

Problem is, I haven't the slightest clue about voice recorders.. :upeyes:

Are there cheap/small recorders that would pick up well..even if i'm not sitting in the front row? Id jump on ebay, but don't want to just buy trash..

What did you successfully use to record lectures? :dunno:

2. AAshooter

AAshooter

I think you seriously got to think about how you would use the recordings, if at all. I have recorded hours of lecture and listen to only some of them.

I currently use a Samsung unit like this: http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/...o?model_cd=YP-U5JQB/XAA&group=mobile&type=mp3

I like it because it is MP3 and I can plug it into my car stereo so I can listen while I commute.

I think pretty much all of them get much better results if you can place them near the lecturer. I doubt you will get good results as you move away from the speaker.

As an alternative you might want to consider:

http://www.livescribe.com/smartpen/index.html

This is a little more expensive but coordinates the audio with your lecture notes. Then it is easy to review any portion of the lecture that corresponds to confusing parts of the lecture. By recording both the notes you are taking and the audio, you can review sections of the audio simply by touching the section of the notes you are interested in . . . pretty cool technology.

Costco has some pretty good deal on these. I haven't made the step yet but am thinking about it. I currently take notes on a computer so I am not so exciting about going back to writing.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010

3. actionpup

actionpup Psycho Pup!

Many moons ago while working on an undergrad degree I thought it might be helpful. I ended up recording many lectures. As it turned out I listened to only one. It was a review for an exam. I didn't find it helpful. I suggest before you sink any money into a quality recorder like I did, borrow one from someone else (if that is an option) to see if it is going to be helpful.

4. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

I don’t know much about audio recorders either, but here’s my story.

My wife is an auditory learner and gets headaches when she reads. She has a large textbook to read for a class, so I bought a recorder to narrate it.

I went to Radio Shack and bought an Olympus digital for about $60. It takes two AA batteries. The playing time is 700 hours. There are five folders with 200 files each. Her textbook is 700 pages, so I record one page per file. It also has a minute and second tracker on it, so that would be handy for you to bookmark each individual lecture.

The device is small, about 4” x 1.5”. It can fit in your pocket. I have never tried to record from across a room (as you might in lecture), but it seems powerful enough to do that. A big plus was that the manager said I had 30 days to bring it back if I did not like it for any reason.

The disadvantage is that you can’t rewind and re-record, but you can pause the device. I also tried to back it up on my home computer, but never figured that out. It’s probably not hard, but I’m dumb and was afraid of losing all that work. We also tried two headphones, but neither worked.

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Check with your college and the instructors. Some do not allow recording.

6. actionpup

actionpup Psycho Pup!

Unless you have some type of documented disability such as hearing loss or a learning disability. Then they don't stand much of an argument.

7. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

I am not following the last two posts. Why would someone prohibit a simple college class from being recorded by a student?

8. Herb Twoleaf

Herb Twoleaf qxPfZzhK

I did it once and it wasn't all that helpful. I'm more of a lip-reader and all around visual learner. And my recording sounded like a Ghosthunters EVP. :rofl:

9. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Yes. I recorded most all of them, but I also took notes for other classmates.

Some professors would allow you to set your device on their podium, lectern, or their desk.

10. College_EMT

College_EMT Guest

I'm a visual learner, so I don't record my lectures. Plus most of my teachers record their own lectures. I do know both my iPod Nano and iPod Touch can record so if you have a like device it may already be able to.

11. sputnik767

sputnik767

Some professors do not allow you to record lectures. Back in graduate school, some classes were set up with audio and video recording, and the recordings were posted within a few hours after the lecture. I tried listening to them once, before a test, and found them extremely useless. But of course the biochemistry course consisted of memorizing proteins and molecular pathways for various cellular functions, so reading the book and powerpoints was the better course of action.