close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Did you know?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by NavDoc, Feb 20, 2010.

1. NavDoc

NavDoc Guest

That if you leave your gun at a repair shop or range for more that 24 hours that they have to log it in and that you have to go through a background check to get it back? Even if you own it!

My local range just went through a ATF inspection this week and that is what they said.

I left a pistol to be sold. If it does not sell, then I have to do the paperwork and go through another background check to get it back.

So, before you leave that rifle to be sighted in or have gunsmithing done, be sure that you are "clean" so you can retrieve your own property.

2. freespirit34

freespirit34 BMFTSY

So who do I get to work on all my stolen stuff?!?? Just kidding. I'm suprised they aren't going to make us pay a fee also to retrieve our own property. Maybe they'll make us purchase another permit (for handguns, anyway) to re-own our stuff. Don't laugh, it is the government we're talking about here. Every day I think I've seen something so stupid it can't be topped ... then the next day rolls around and guess what ?? I was wrong!

3. GlockPride

GlockPride Glock 23

Is this a new ruling? I worked Part Time in a gun shop this past summer and there are TWO Recod books used:
    One for acquisitions and sales for any item that came in for sale, regardless if from a distributor or individual. Had to do a 4473 to get it back.
    The other was a Repair book that did NOT require a 4473 to pick up.

So, we always let consignment gun owners know that if they changed their mind, they would have to complete and pass a 4473 to get their gun back.

4. NavDoc

NavDoc Guest

I will ask her when I see her again about 2 books. The above post is what she told me.

5. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

For some time now the local gun store has stopped allowing people to leave their gun at the store to be sold. The manager said the ATF told him he most log in any gun that they take "possession of" (my words).
    They don't work on guns, so I don't know about that.
    The ATF inspected his store's books a couple months ago and they had no errors, so I guess they know what they are talking about.

The reason this came up was I offered to leave one of my Kel Tec PLR's with them for prospective customers to shoot before buying a new one.
    The manager said if a gun is left at the store for any reason (except repair) it must be logged in their books just as if it came from a distributor.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  6. bnkrtstk

bnkrtstk

It's not new, I left a pistol on consignment about 13 years ago, it didn't sell so I took it home, but had to go through a PICS check first.

7. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Yes. This I knew. When my permit expired, and my new permit was pending, I was required to take my guns to a FFL, since in NY, no permit = no handguns.

Homie wat NOT happy to have to log in so many guns. Fortunately, that situation was averted.

'Drew

8. kiole

kiole

When i was looking into starting a gun shop, i was reading all the rules regulations and government what not.

If they are holding the gun for repairs it's logged in and must be logged out with a 4473. Which involves you passing a background check. Unless you stay at the place while the gun is being worked on.

If you put a gun on consignment your supposed to give it to the gun shop who must take it in as an acquisition on their bound book. IF it doesn't sell they must give it back to you on a 4473 and you must pass a background check.

9. bcmclane

bcmclane

Weird, I've had several guns repaired and never had to do it. I dropped off a SBR'd AK a few weeks back to have the front canted sight repaired, left a copy of my paperwork along with it, picked it up 2 days later without any paperwork or check.

10. Gallium

Gallium CLM

There is a FFL here ...somewhere in the northeast (NH, MA or ME) with this exact scenario. The fellow whose guns are on consignment was arrested for some DV charge, the police came to his shop, and FORCED him to release the guns to them. The police's rationale was that since the consignee could no longer lawfully possess guns, the FFL shouldn't have them holding for the consignee.

'Drew

11. skyugo

skyugo

that would explain why when i got night sights installed on my glock 19 they just took the slide and had me take the rest with me.

12. DriBak

DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

I know you have to 4473 to retrieve a pawned firearm, but the "24 hour" rule is news to me, very interesting.

13. zenmanxxx

zenmanxxx

I will find out about how it's handled here in an hour. It is Glock Days at one of our gun stores. They have a drawing for a couple of Glocks each year.

I know I have had some mods done by the gunsmith there and never had to re-aquire my firearms through an additional background check or use form 4473. I just don't remember how long my rifle or pistol was in thier shop.

14. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

So I guess the prudent thing to do would be only use gunsmiths who do not also sell guns.

15. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

if your a gunsmith you have to have an FFL,

only way possibly around it would be to only work on non receiver parts, but be sure to do your taxes on your income ..

16. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Did not know this. Thanks.

I've had work done at the Colorado School of Trades-Gunsmithing & Horseshoeing and haven't had to fill out a 4473 in the past when picking up. All these damn rules hurt my head.