Did the Virginia killer really buy his gun legally?

Discussion in 'Gun-Control Issues' started by JokerOne, Aug 28, 2015.

1. JokerOne

JokerOne

I've read reports that he bought his gun legally, but I've also read reports he was under court order to get psychological help.

If thats true then didn't he falsify his federal form when answering the questions, hence he broke the law in order to buy it?

thanks.

2. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

I wondered the same thing....

3. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I hadn't heard that he was under a court order. Do you have a link?

Regardless, I don't think that would disqualify him depending on what exactly the court ordered. Instead of lying on a 4473 he could have just gone to a gun show to get it. You know, that pesky "loop hole" that some people say doesn't exist.

4. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    nursetim likes this.
  5. JokerOne

JokerOne

I believe you have to go to the UK Guardian or some British news site that had a photocopy of the court order. I saw it the other day. It was along with all the HR disciplinary letters the station wrote up before they canned him.

6. JokerOne

JokerOne

I believe there are some other questions on that form about being treated as well. I'll have to look it up. thanks.

7. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Nope. The law is 18 USC 922(g) and the 4473 asks you about the categories in that statute.

Would you want a law than prohibits a person from ever owning a gun because they went for voluntary mental health treatment or, even worse, because an employer with no mental health qualifications told them they need treatment?

Glock.Man likes this.
  8. JokerOne

JokerOne

No, I don't want it, I just thought there was a "treatment' question as well. perhaps its on the Illinois form. I could be mistaken. If the toxicology tests come back showing something, then perhaps he did purchase it illegally?

9. walt cowan

walt cowan

Seems it's been brought up that the the serial number on the weapon posted by the police, is not real. Strange all around.

10. flyover

flyover

From the 4473, 11f. Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective (which includes a determination by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority that you are a danger to yourself or to others or are incompetent to manage your own affairs) or have you ever been committed to a mental institution?