close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Did my good Glock deed for the day...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Kadetklapp, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Today I was in Illinois at a reputable police supply store picking up some uniform pants and decided to peruse the gun counter while I waited. I had purchased my Glock 21C NIB back in 2003 from this same dealer.

While looking around (trying to bum a free Glock poster which I did get) a lost-looking fellow wandered to the counter and asked to see a Sig Mosquito. The sales guy got it out for him and the lost-guy asked about it. The salesman informed him it was a .22 Sig. The guy, who obviously knew nothing about firearms, asked if that was good enough for home defense. :shocked:

The clerk told him not really and that maybe he'd like to look at a bigger 229 or something. The guy informed the salesman that he was on a tight $300 budget. He explained that a local LEO friend of his told him to go to this place and find something for home defense. He further explained that his prior firearms had been an off-brand semi-auto and that it "broke" and couldn't be fixed. He couldn't even remember what it was.

The salesman is a pretty good dude, so he took him to the end of the counter and showed him a pre-owned Glock 22. It was well-worn but had nightsites (albeit dim) and was in pretty great shape on the inside. I showed the guy how to field strip the gun and basically told him that was a great pistol to have. They dickered but he got out the door with it for $300.

Price might have been a tad high but hey, it's a Glock. It won't need replaced, that's for sure. I felt good about guiding a lost sheep to the right pistol. The guy was pretty leery just from a complete lack of experience. I told him that if he never bought another gun in his life, that he would be well served by his new purchase.

2. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

Nice job. $300 out-the-door for a Glock isn't a bad deal.

3. ricky_arthur

ricky_arthur

You Sir, are a humanitarian, brimming with brotherly kindness. Now rest easy, your work there is done.:supergrin:

4. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Well done! God forbid he ever did need his pistol for HD, he would have been left with a .22. You may have saved his life. :)

DH

5. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

I'm kind of hoping that he gets to shooting and realizes his (and the gun's platform) full potential. :)

6. Glock 17L

Glock 17L *GLOCKAHOLIC*

I agree that you may have saved the guys life..
    Good one!!

7. Disregarded9-side

Disregarded9-side Armchair IPSCer

...and yet another person who should a bought a pump-action 12 gauge.

A full sized Glock has to be the next best thing for a n00b of that caliber, so cheers for that and the basic instuction. Here's to hoping he learns how to safely and properly use and store the handgun.

8. Chainlink

Chainlink

I would buy just about every glock I found for 300. Around here a used one with standard sights will still fetch 4-425 all day new 499.....with that little of a discount I typically go new.

Man 300 I wish.

9. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48

10. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Thanks :) I should add that he told us he recently went in with his son and they bought "a shotgun" for the boy to learn how to shoot on.

I wasn't familiar with Illinois gun training laws (if there are any). The guy did have a FOID card though.

11. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

True. And with night sights at that.

12. Ahmid

Ahmid CLM

Three hundred bucks aint bad.

13. mymini40

mymini40

he wanted a .22 and ended up buying a G22. hey, isnt that ironic? hehehe.

14. Glock 17L

Glock 17L *GLOCKAHOLIC*

I have seen the G22 LEO Trade Ins going for $325-$359 Lately all were 2nd Generation BTW..

15. rboatright

rboatright

Here's my problem. I would have asked what range he plans to go to.

This is a man who needs to be around other shooters and to send rounds downstream.

16. GlockoPopPopPop

GlockoPopPopPop

$300 is high for a used glock??? damn maybe i got ripped off

17. Reignman

Reignman

Gotta love it when someone who really knows nothing gets a pistol like the glock which in my opinion, only belongs in experienced or highly trained individuals hands... I'm sorry but a Glock isn't a "Home defense for the home owner" weapon to me... sorry to be the bad guy but it's true. Maybe a DAO would have been better suited for him.. Can think of plenty in the $300 range...

just my.02

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  18. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Hmm, and why is that?

I began my "shooting career" with a Glock 32C and have had nothing but good luck with Glocks ever since. I've even got 1911's, HKs, Rugers, and a few revolvers now.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  19. way2fast

way2fast

Not true, I was given a SIG Mosquito from a friend of mine who, after sending the brand new pistol to SIG twice, still had numerous issues with it.

I looked at it and was a bit surprised on the fit and finish (having other SIG's myself). I tried both recoil springs, tried firing lightly lubed as recommended, dry and perhaps semi-excessively lubed, tried 5 different types of 22 ammo and still (except for one time) could not fire an entire mag without a failure (or many). Most of the problems were the firing pin either did not strike or struck too lightly.

I looked at his correspondence with SIG and the first time they replaced both recoil springs, tested and said the gun was operational. The second time they said the gun was operational, suggested LIGHT lubrication and CCI mini mags. needless to say still not working.

But as a self defense weapon... I can tie a bootlace around the trigger guard and swing it around hard enough to knock someone in the head pretty good.

For now then it resides in my gunsafe until i figure out what to do with it. I know of one other person who had a mosquito (borrowed her mags to test mine) she had similar issues with hers and traded it in. I am not overly impressed with it at all

20. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

What did I say that was not true?