close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Did Magnum Research buy the Walther P99?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by BlackPaladin, Mar 2, 2010.

1. BlackPaladin

BlackPaladin

The new "Baby Eagle bears a striking resemblance to the Walther P99 design.

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Baby_Eagle.asp

Considering that mags are difficult to find for the P99, I wonder if there will work like they did with the SW99.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  2. mdfd

mdfd

yeah, there are many of us P99/SW99 owners that are chomping at the bit about the potential mag interchangeability....let's hope it does work out!

3. 10mm Sonny

10mm Sonny

The "Baby FA" pistol? Gay.

4. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

It appears that they have either licensed it or cloned it, but that is definitely a P99 with a different name.

5. Rooster Rugburn

Rooster Rugburn Got Pignose?

That is very close to a copy, but I hope Walther didn't sell them the P-99. That would break my heart.

"Fast Action" instead of Quick Action. "Palm Swells" instead of interchangeable back straps. It reads like one of my book reports in elementary.

I don't mind a rip off, as long as I can still buy the original. The P-99 is the best pistol on the market.

6. ronin.45

ronin.45

Kind of an odd choice for MR. The P99/SW99 hasn't exactly been a fast mover around here. If they wanted to clone a polymer gun they should have picked a popular one.

7. mangkukhan

mangkukhan

P99 mags and SW99 mags are the same so I'm not sure why anyone would have trouble finding them? They have the same frame, only the SW99 slides were made by S&W as I recall.

8. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

Anyone know the business connections between MR / IMI and S&W, by chance?

Or between MR / IMI and Walther GMbH?

Strange bedfellows indeed...

9. fastbolt

fastbolt

FWIW, when S&W was selling their SW99/990L series they told armorers not to use P99 mags in SW99 duty guns. The reason repeatedly given was because S&W ordered their Mec Gar mags supplied with a stronger spring than Walther did for their P99 mags.

S&W also went to using the stronger, optional extractor spring in their licensed models, too. (The stronger extractor spring in the SW99 series is the same spring used in the mag catch assembly, BTW.)

I haven't heard anything about the new MR model, but it wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to make a licensed copy. Walther isn't pushing the gun all that hard in the US and S&W stopped selling their own licensed models commercially once they had their M&P series coming online.

10. mdfd

mdfd

last I looked they stopped making the SW99 mags and the P99 mags are somewhere north of $35/each for new...What's left of the SW99 mags on the market have now inflated to prices similar to that of the P99's...
    I have 4 Walther mags and 6 SW mags, they both work but I got them before the price jack.....

11. BlackPaladin

BlackPaladin

I am seeing the Walther mags in excess of $40 and rarely at that.

12. ChipM

ChipM

Mags are pretty easy to find for the P99, they are just really expensive.

13. Bimmer1

Bimmer1

Magnum Research no longer has ties with Israeli Military Industries for the Baby Eagle. The Israeli Baby Eagle is now distributed under the original "Jericho" name through Charles Daly/KBI. So.....I don't think this is an Israeli made product.

14. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

Daly is gone. Don't know what the Jericho's status is now.

15. oldnoob

oldnoob

P99 is a well designed gun/platform. I'll be happy to see more manufacture to clone it. Maybe they will do a better job than Walther/Smith on marketing that gun.

16. fastbolt

fastbolt

Last time I called S&W about SW99 magazines I was told they are still stocking them.

FWIW, I recently ordered some new mag springs for a SW99 9c and a 40c and noticed that the springs have apparently been revised since the last time I ordered some. Longer and seemingly stronger in wire gauge and tension.

S&W may not be marketing the SW99/990L's anymore, but they still have a lot of them out there which they're supporting under their lifetime warranty.

This thread reminds me that it's about time to order another 1-2 SW99 9c mags, too. I try to add a mag or two every couple of years as a hedge against loss or damage to the mag which can't be repaired by replacement of one or more of the parts. Besides, I only have a couple of dedicated training/range mags for the 9c in addition to the ones I keep aside for carry usage.

The SW99 9c is one of my all time favorite small 9mm pistols. I find myself shooting it even more than my 3193 and G26. Being able to shoot it a bit 'better' than those other two may have something to do with it, perhaps. ;)

I suppose that since I like the SW99 9c so well, that if I came across a P99 AS 9c at the right price I might think about picking it up, as well. It's a shame that Walther was apparently never all that interested in marketing the compact 99 series (or the whole series, in general, I suppose) in this country. It's a fine example of how the plastic service pistol has continued to evolve.

17. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

I sincerely hope not. The P99 is one of the finest service pistols made. I (only HALF tongue in cheek) refer to it as "the pistol GLOCKs want to be when they grow up!

I have not personally owned a Baby Eagle, but I have had 3 come to classes with students. Every shooter finally went to a back up gun or borrowed a loaner from me.

I don't have time in a class to "tinker" with a pistol and make it run. I hope they keep their donut grabbers off the Walther.

18. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

I wonder how old a design the P99 is? Have the copyrights ran out on it. I think it's 17 years, but I'm not sure what the law is.:dunno:

19. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

I hope Walther will still make the P-99.

20. mdfd

mdfd

yeah at ~ $42/each!:shocked: that's nearing the ridiculous price of HK mags....:steamed: