close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Did I pay too much?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by LarryD1130, Mar 24, 2010.

1. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

I just bought ammo online for the first time. I got it from ammunitiontogo.com and I think I paid too much. The reason I bought it online is because I just ran out of my EDC/defense ammo and I need more ASAP and they never have the kind I want at the stores around here. I got two different ones but I think I overpaid for the 2nd one. Did I? If I did, by about how much?

1st: http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/cPath/23_71_117/products_id/1622

2nd: http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catal...t-180gr-hp-ammo/cName/40-sw-hollow-point-ammo

I couldn't decide if I wanted 165gr or 180gr. What do yinz normally use?

ALSO, is a Glock 23 too big for these?: http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catal...-sw-speer-gold-dot-short-barrel-180gr-hp-ammo

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Did you buy all 3? Are you LE? If not, don't expect to get the HST..

Whether you paid to much, is entirely up to you. The prices are about inline w/ what I pay here... but I don't have to pay shipping.

What would make you think the 180gr Gold Dot would be "to big" for the Glock 23? It's 40 S&W ammo just like everything else you bought. Or did I misunderstand that question?

165 vs 180 is irrelevant. Shoot both, determine what you like the best, then PRACTICE!! Placement matters far more than the minor differences in those two rounds(or any rounds for that matter...)

IGF

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010

3. triggerjerk

triggerjerk

Good price on the HST, not so much on the GD.

4. bigeagle57

bigeagle57

I think he was asking about the BBL being too big since that is the short BBL gold dots.

I have bought HST's from ammotogo and didnt have any troubles. Unless they have started the "only to LE" recently.

5. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

Yeah I was asking because it said short barrel and I didn't know if my g23 fit into that category. It doesn't really matter; I just wanted to know what the difference is between the two and if I would benefit from having the short barrel ammo.

I sure hope you don't have to be an LE because I ordered them and they didn't ask me if I was one. I heard real good things about the HST's and I had to try them out. I also heard good things about the Gold Dots even though they costed more than I expected. If they are equally good, I'll definitely start just buying the HST's because you get 30 more bullets for the same price. I might also check out the Rangers one day too.

6. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

Did you overpay for the 180gr Gold Dots? Yeah, you overpaid a bit.

http://www.tds-us.com/catalog.php/tds/dt52872/Speer_Gold_Dot_LEO

7. DeltaNu1142

DeltaNu1142 Glock talker

I bought 3 boxes of 9mm & .40 on there a few weeks ago, and yeah, I overpaid a little.

8. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Gee $1.24 per round? Time to reload dude!:supergrin:

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Did you read the link you posted?

They are LE only by Federal policy only. Frankly if Federal doesn't want my money, they can get bent, I don't care. There's plenty of choices out there that are just as good as, or better than, the HST.

It's all about placement... not how cool the box is.

IGF

10. gunsnhoses

gunsnhoses

Ammunitiontogo.com rapes you on shipping costs. Almost double what some other sites charge.

11. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

Hey, this is Caliber Corner, where ¨killing¨ wet phone books & milk jugs and just being a general badass at the local range is more important than facts!!

:rofl:

12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

When you find HST's in stock, you're not gonna get 30 more rounds for the same price. That is LE pricing you're seeing on ATG. I still keep a box of HST's in my safe just cuz the box is so cool. Who cares how they perform... Federal must have hired an heir of Picasso to do that box. I'll sell you the 50rds for 9.99, but the box will be $65+ shipping. Sorry, can't separate them, it will decrease the value of the box.

I think hotpig has Ranger's in stock.. http://www.mahsupplies.net

I personally would find something in stock locally. Surely you can find something.... The Winchester PDX1 is hitting the shelves pretty good, and will probably be around you somewhere...

Good luck.. :)

IGF

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I think there is some merit in trying to simulate how a bullet will perform, is good. If a round is consistently clogging and going TNT, then that is probably a round I would avoid, just due to the danger it would likely pose.

Beyond that though, i don't care how pretty an expanded round looks, how sharp the talons are, etc.. as long as its available, reliable, and reasonably accurate.

IGF

14. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I've never ordered from ATG, and really don't intend to.. but I just checked their 180gr PDX1, and for 200rds shipped to my house, would be $224. That's about $22 for each 20rd box. I pay about $1.50 more locally, then of course, sales tax.

Their shipping doesn't seem to bad, but maybe it just depends on where you live. Once I've burned through all my Gold Dots, I might place a decent order w/ them for 9mm and 40 PDX's..

IGF

15. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I check ammotogo almost daily and I never noticed the LE statement on the HST page until today. It may have been there previously but I never saw it.

16. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

NEVER buy Gold Dots in the 20 round boxes. It's more work but you can find the 50 round boxes out there, especially in .40 and .45.

17. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I just placed an order for about $110 of ammo. Shipping was $14. That's not that bad. Once in awhile Cabela's has free or $5 shipping but they never have the ammo I want anyway.

18. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Well hopefully Larry reports back and tells us, as I'm curious now. Maybe they say .. "LEO Only.. :wink: :wink:" to keep Federal off of them.

IGF

19. BleedNOrange

BleedNOrange Go Vols

You do not have to be LEO to order from ammo to go. I have ordered rangers, hst, etc. Never once been asked for any credentials. Most times it is a federal or winchester rule not to sell directly to the public. A distributor can sell to anybody they want.

20. BleedNOrange

BleedNOrange Go Vols

I have ordered from several sites. ATG is either cheaper or right in line with everybody else.