close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Did I farg up my cable internet service...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by rhikdavis, Feb 17, 2010.

1. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Didn't realize it'd turn into such a big deal when I started rearranging the office...jerking cords and cables out of the wall and computers with reckless abandon.

Soon it was time to put it all back together and here is my dilemma. Before my little burst of motivation, I had cable internet and also cable telephone service from same company...comcast....everything was fine...now I seemed to have lost my phone service throughout the rest of the house. I only have one working phone and that is the one that is connected to the cable modem. Remaining phone jacks in house are kaput.

Now I'm not quite sure what's going on and neither were 3 comcast customer support peeps. I knew they were getting pissed off at me because they lapsed into their native tongues here and there. Filipino or Swahili? I couldn't tell.

There's two regular phone jacks labelled 1/2 and 2. I have the phone that works plugged into 1/2. Now I know theres a correlation between jack 2 and the wall jack, but damned if I can figure it out. I ran a telephone cord from jack 2 to wall jack to no avail.. I mean, damn, how many different ways can you connect them after all.

Oh, and one rep did an online reset of my modem and said it must have been misconfigured because I need to order another phone number from comcast in order for the rest of the jacks in the house to work. (upselling bastard). I said negative, ghostrider..all the jacks worked just fine until I started my little unplugging stuff like a mad man.

Make a long story longer, he put me on hold and still hasn't been back. I suspect he won't be. Hmph.

So does anyone have any idea about what I need to plug into where to get phone service throughout the remainder of the house...? Without ordering a new phone line for every room in the house? (Nice try, Hodgie...)

Thanks!

2. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

3. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

All fixed. Just a bit of rewiring till the 'combination' was right.

4. JMag

JMag

Good for you!

:)

5. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

LOL good work man.

6. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Hmmm...

FYI - A digital camera will save you lots of GRIEF in the future should you choose to photograph the starting point so that you can recreate the functional system when you complete the "organization"...

Just a Thought... Just a Thought....

HTH

7. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

If I get into something I'm not sure of I will mark the wires with masking tape, but I like the camera idea better ... it's faster.

8. captainstormy

captainstormy

You can take masking tape and number the wires plugged into the device then take a picture. This helps if some of the wires look the same.

9. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

I always number both the wire and the receptacle/connector with tape, sharpie etc ...

10. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Now *THAT* ...

Is cheating... :rofl:

11. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

I read you solved it I'm just curious...

Let me guess your using the VOIP jacks on the rear of the cable modem... and the tech or phone guy that installed it only hooked the copper up to work from the location the modem was originally at...

So when you moved it the new phone jacks only traveled the copper back outside to the Grey NID on the rear of the house or another copper location inside. If not he was a nice guy who hooked up all the copper throughtout the house from the NID.

I've seen this quite a few times before... But these things happen when a TV cable guy starts thinking he knows how Telco copper works.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010