close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Did I do okay on this Model 7?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Arbee, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Arbee

Arbee

I found a used Model 7 in 7mm-08 with wood stock (walnut?) and 20" barrel, about 5 years old in very good condition. Topped with a Leupold 2.5 - 8. For $670. Put it on layaway. Plan on using it for deer primarily. How did I do?

2. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

the wood stocks on model 7's are laminated, but still really nice IMO. if it's the stainless model (LSS) then you got a really good deal i think. also depends on the model of the leupold.

3. Arbee

Arbee

It's not a laminate stock. It's a solid wood stock with blued 20" barrel. My understanding is that a few years back they produced them with solid wood instead of laminated wood. (Currently only the Youth Model comes in solid wood, and the wood on mine looks much better, perhaps an inexpensive walnut.) The Leopold 2.5-8 is a Var IIIx, which I believe is about a $400 scope, new.

4. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Assuming that the barrel is in good shape, you did great! You're right about the value of the scope. I've worked on several Model 7's with solid wood stocks. I don't recall whether they're walnut or not, but they very well might be.

5. Arbee

Arbee

Thanks, Walter. If I was buying new glass, I probably would not have bought that good a scope. I had considered a 4X fixed Leopold before. I'll have to go back and look at the stock to make sure. You mentioned that you had worked on several. Anything you recommend doing to this Seven? A previous owner removed the front fixed sight.

(Edited to eliminate a contradiction.)

6. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

A 3# trigger pull is about right for hunting. Unless the trigger's been adjusted by the previous owner, it's probably pulling @ 6# or so. The Mod. 7 uses the same trigger as the 700, so the instructions I posted in Gunsmithing several months ago will also apply to the Mod. 7. If whoever took the front sight off didn't put a "special" screw to plug the hole, you can get such screws cheaply at Brownell's. The heads are contoured to match the barrel, as opposed to being flat like standard screws.

Just make sure that the barrel is clean and do some testfiring. Your Mod. 7 should easily shoot under 1 m.o.a. @ 100 yds.

7. Arbee

Arbee

Thanks, again. The hole is plugged. While I can't rememeber exactly what it looked like, I believe it followed the contour of the barrel. I'll look again.