close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Did I do an 'Uh, Oooh!' or an 'Oooops!' ?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Skyhook, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Skyhook

Skyhook

In moving the computer into the new den, I did something horribly wrong to my monitor, I fear.

Since its new location/set-up, the display has turned an ugly red-fading-to-green in the right hand upper corner. WTF does that mean? What's likely to happen next? Should I be ready to see the 17" cyclops fade out entirely??

Oh, did I ever tell ya all I simply hate computers?:badpc: :frown:

2. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

Two things come to mind.
    First
    Somewhere along the move your monitor got too close to a magnet. Hit the degaus button and you will be ok.

Second
    Your video cable got squished and stressed to a point where a wire broke but stayed in place until you moved it. Wiggle the cable around to see if the problem gets worse or corrects itself. My monitor went yellow, but with velcro and duct tape I was able to have a functioning monitor once again.

3. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

It is an older CRT and not a flat LCD or Plasma display, correct?

Ditto on the degaussing button if it is a CRT display. But if the issue is very serious you may need to have a tech degauss it in a shop.

Not as likely if you bumped the monitor heavily you could have moved a focus coil or an internal part in the tube. The tube could be gassy or basically going bad. That could be a major pain and expensive to fix. :sad:

Have you looked at the clearance department for another CDT display? ;)

4. SKeefe

SKeefe

Same thing happened to an older CRT monitor of mine after I moved it, except the discoloration occurred at the bottom, most likely right above where I had my hand while carrying it.

I figured that the pressure from the weight of the monitor on my hand at the bottom of the monitor messed something up inside. It did end up going away after a while (days/weeks).

5. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

Check for unshielded magnets nearby. They will do it as well.

6. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

especially speakers to a radio.

anyway, i've done the same thing and had to use the menu to get to the "Degaus" option (sometimes labeled "reset" or something) on the monitors menu. you usually only have one or two buttons on the front of the monitor, so it's a pain to find.

7. Skyhook

Skyhook

WhooHooo! It's gone!!
    I did what you folks were saying about the degausing business but could not find the correct way to 'get-r-done' so what I did was to simply shut off the monitor while the computer was running, wait a few minutes and then turned it on and- PRESTO! the green corner effect is g-o-n-e!

:supergrin:

I would never have thought that one through.. I always have just shut down the monitor by shutting down the computer. And, every time i fired it up, there was that darned green corner.

It's g-o-n-e. :banana:

Thanks for all the help and support!:thumbsup: