Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I suppose you could say that I used to glamorize guns. I'd try to get the best and the coolest, but then I started looking towards reliability and function instead of perception of the gun and then I bought a Glock (well, and an AK). Ever since I see guns as tools that function well, some better than others, some having different application than others.

Just wondering if anyone had a similar experience with Glocks or maybe another type of firearm giving you a more realistic definition of "gun".

:wavey:

:elephant::elephant:

·
Gaff G26 User!
2,392 Posts
Same here...I don't think I'll ever be able to justify spending a major amount of money on a gun i.e. a Wilson 1911, etc. Having experienced Glock reliability and and everything else a Glock brings to the gunfight...an expensive gun just doesn't do much for me.

Glocks have definitely made me more critical of all firearms, as I find myself comparing all firearms I might purchase to the reliability of the Glocks I own. Personally I think it's made me purchase better firearms than I would have if I had not had that benchmark to go by.

HR

·
Nibb
4,183 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmm, most definitly has, all of my firearms have specific purposes, yeah, I could collect more Glocks.....or more Xds...or more, well, you get the idea...but I MUST have a reason for them, and I do.

I will, no doubt, get another Glock soon, but only because I want it, not that I need it...as it oughta be ...

I am out :cool:

·
Florida Cracker
1,948 Posts
I've gone back and forth. The Glock didn't really change anything, as I just like them. I started out as just a shooter, then got into milsurps and amassed a nice little collection, but I liked shooting too much and decided that cleaning them was too much of a pita after shooting with corrosive ammo. So, I pretty much sold/traded my collection and have gone back to modern firearms and am having a lot more fun.

As to the guns/tools debate, I see both sides. A gun has a purpose, which is to shoot, but I try my best to keep them in good shape and looking good, but for the most part I'm not going to cry if I get a ding or a scratch on them. That being said, if I owned a (name your price) gun, I'd be very, very careful. I try to be careful anyway, as while I don't own anything that most folks would consider "high dollar" (probably the most expensive gun I have would be my Remington 700 SPS .223, which is all black and reminds me of a Glock anyway), I had to work hard for the $$$ to pay for them and try to keep them looking and working good.

Are they tools? Yes. Are they something I collect? You might say that. Do I have fun with them? Absolutely. Am I going to be careless with them and let them get beat up because "It's just a Glock (could be a Hi-Point, it would be the same to me)"? No way.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Absolutely!

Glock is the only gun that can go 1,000,000,000,000 rounds without a cleaning. It can shoot out stuck bullets in the barrel. It's ceramic, and totally undetectable by metal detectors. And last, but not least, it costs more than you make in a month!

·
Glock Gimp
13,851 Posts
Absolutely!

Glock is the only gun that can go 1,000,000,000,000 rounds without a cleaning. It can shoot out stuck bullets in the barrel. It's ceramic, and totally undetectable by metal detectors. And last, but not least, it costs more than you make in a month!
Do you work for the press?

·
Banned
12,951 Posts
I have 7 Glocks, 3 Kimbers, 3 HKs, 4 SIGs, 4 S&Ws and 11 other pistols. I like my Glocks a lot but if I can ever afford an Ed Brown or Wilson 1911 or SIG P210 then I would be happy to have it in my safe and at the range.

·
Drop those nuts
9,539 Posts
I would not say it was Glocks that did it to me. But long ago I recognized that guns are like cars of any other tool. There's the pretty car that you waste money on, that you polish on weekends and drive very carefully, and then there's the ugly truck that you drive to a construction site and actually make money with. I think Glocks are like the truck. They're more important to have than the pretty car, unless you already have the truck and still have tons of money burning a hole in your pocket.

·
456 Posts
After I bought my Glock I find that I don't have to have a "lookin' good" gun. I prefer one that is shootin' good. :supergrin:

I will say, however, that there are one or two guns that I wouldn't mind having that look good as well as shoot good.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I would not say it was Glocks that did it to me. But long ago I recognized that guns are like cars of any other tool. There's the pretty car that you waste money on, that you polish on weekends and drive very carefully, and then there's the ugly truck that you drive to a construction site and actually make money with. I think Glocks are like the truck. They're more important to have than the pretty car, unless you already have the truck and still have tons of money burning a hole in your pocket.
+1 :supergrin:

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
The first gun to catch my attention was the Walther P99. I still think it's a fine weapon and it's pretty too. But the Glock is just better in ways that really count. So now it's all Glock all the time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Glock definitely brought handgun reliability to a new level, but iv always looked at the guns with the best performance and the best durablility. Glock just took the meaning to be a reliable gun and just changed the whole game.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
The Glock line of firearms was originally something that I wanted no part of. I was pure steel or steel/alloy in my choices of handguns. In the mid 90's I ended up with my first Glock, a model 23. I ended up with one because my best friend spent several years hounding me about getting one with him with sequential numbers.

The Glock has actually changed how I view reliability and dependability of handguns. For me, Glock became the standard by which I determine a gun worthy of carrying or using as a defensive handgun. The 23 is long since gone to an old girlfriend but I have replaced it with a 27, 19 and now a 36. I now own three.

I say all that to say this. Before I had Glock, I accepted the fact that semi's might balk at times with a FTF or the occassional RTB, or they might need a reliability package, et al. Since Glock, I know a gun can be made to function right from the box. Glock has caused my expectations and my standards for acceptance to go way up as opposed to what was before.

This "plastic, piece of junk" that I once wanted no part of has come to change my whole perception of what a "good gun" really is all about. Crow ain't so bad with a little Louisana Hot Sauce and a side order of shoe leather.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
i owned two Sigs before i owned a Glock.

to me, different guns serve different purposes but over time, some guns are more fun / practical then others.

buy what works for you.

·
Registered
13,879 Posts
shooting glocks and watching 100s of other shooters shoot glocks made me realize they fail just like any other gun.

·
Caped Crusader
797 Posts
hmm...iunno. hm picture speaks a thousand words?

i bought the shiny ones after I got my glocks.

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
I hold all manufacturers to the Glock standard. A $3000 1911? It better not have one jam(even the gun rags report jams, then make excuses for them). I got rid of my Witness and all of its accessories because it did not measure up in terms of reliability, parts availability, parts cost, mag cost, mag availability and mag durability. My CZs are 100% reliable, so they stay.

·
Atomic Dawg
1,027 Posts
Given that I don't have a lot a experience with guns and I've only owned Glocks to this point, they would definitely be my point of reference when shopping for a different gun. So far I have experienced 100% reliability, so any other brand would have a high standard to meet.

But every gun has a different purpose. While 100% reliability is crucial for a carry gun, less than that would be acceptable to me for a range, collector piece. I want to get a Sig P220 next and I have heard some reports of some FTE's with the internal extractor on the newer models. I would still take a chance on the gun, because I "want" one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
All my firearms are purpose driven, whether they are shotguns, rifles, or handguns. They are all designed to do a specific task i.e. kill something. My primary use for the numerous shotguns and rifles I own is to fill a spot next to my mashed taters. My Glock 36 is designed to save my life. Any firearm should make you more realistic about guns.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.