Did Glock fix brass to the face with the Gen5?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by trackstar55, Sep 21, 2019.

1. ExecutiveWill

ExecutiveWill

I’ve had the occasional shell bounce off my forehead with Gen 3 and 4, but never any real BTF that people were talking about

2. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

Been training and shooting competitively with Glock 9mm's [17/34] since 1994 and never experienced any brass to my face.

Call me lucky I guess.

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Well, this is the first time I've seen a post here where somebody describes what I would take for classic symptoms of limpwristing, says it happens with lots of different Glocks, but assures us he is an experienced shooter and isn't limpwristing. That leaves me at a loss to understand the problem. :rofl::rofl::rofl::upeyes:

harold63 likes this.
  4. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Or maybe you just grip the gun properly.

5. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

BTF is a bit like the low/left thing. Hardware changes can definitely affect the outcome, and some guns contribute more to better outcomes than others. But in most cases, most of the root cause is with the shooter.

harold63 and ExecutiveWill like this.
  6. hivel9mm

hivel9mm

It is easy to blame the shooter and I’m sure that in some cases it is. However, when there is documented evidence of different ejection patterns with the same gun, only different ejectors, then that means it is not due to the shooter. The shooter is no longer the variable. The only variable is the ejector. So if the same shooter with the same ammo gets BTF with ejector X and Y, but not with Z, then it means that the hardware is affecting the outcome.

Andrew Cammisa, redrick and gh1138 like this.
  7. hivel9mm

hivel9mm

The poster does not say that is happens with lots of different Glocks. In fact, he said that his older Glocks eject brass perfectly. So unless he grips Gen 3 and later with a different and more limp grip than he does with earlier Glocks, I don’t see how one can be at a loss to see how there is a gun problem.

gh1138 likes this.
  8. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Suggest you take a look at the stickied thread above the rest in this Forum.

The thread is relative to ejectors and shows pictures. Testing was done and detailed comment with solution provided.

Scion likes this.
  9. Rocky7

Read the stickied thread above in this Forum....,it shows how wrong some were......are.

10. hivel9mm

hivel9mm

Yes, and it even shows videos of differences among the ejection patterns. Yet some still refuse to believe that there is an issue.

11. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

All my Glocks (in fact, almost all my pistols) are newer gen3. And I documented some of that evidence.

Yes, the ejector is the variable in the situation you describe. But that doesn't mean the shooter isn't the main cause. As long as the shooter stays under the BTF threshold, there's no prob. But he could be right below it or miles below it. And the closer he is, the less likely he is to be aware of it.

Small changes in hardware or ammo power could easily push him back/forth over that threshold. And making those changes eliminates the negative outcome. But the shooter is still the root cause.

12. hivel9mm

hivel9mm

Let me posit it this way. The shooter is unchanging average representative shooter. However, every ejector has a BTF threshold. It could be right above the average shooter’s threshold or it could be miles above it. If it is close enough to the threshold as to cause BTF in Glock’s target demographic, then yes, the ejector is the root cause.

13. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

This is not news....

9mm
    My Gen 3's came with the #336 ejector
    Inconsistent ejection pattern with occasional BTF

With Gen 4 came the improved #30274 ejector
    Better but not great

With 19X and some Gen 5's came the #47021 ejector
    This one has been very good for me
    To get it, you order #47208 TMH which contains the #47201 ejector
    Pull the new ejector and install it in your TMH

gh1138 likes this.
  14. hivel9mm

hivel9mm

Or maybe an analogy. Lexus designs accelerator pedals for their cars. Often times drivers use floor mats. The latest accelerator pedal is designed such that it is that much closer to the threshold of getting trapped under said floor mats. Is the root of the resultant unintended acceleration the average driver or is it the design of the pedal not accounting for the average driver?

15. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

Dood
    You are making my head hurt

16. gh1138

gh1138 Silver Member

Some will never believe the Glock is the problem, blaming the shooter instead. I'm sure often it is the shooter. When I acquired my second polymer frame pistol in the late-90s, a G27, I had numerous FTF/FTE. It took me about 500 rounds to learn how to hold it. It made me a better shooter overall.

I've had at least 6 different people shoot my G19.3, including gun range employees, some of whom are competitive shooters. ALL were experienced shooters. ALL had the brass ejecting between 5:30 and 6:30 positions. After trying a combination of different ejectors and extractors, it's now ejecting at 5:00 for me and between 4:30 and 5:30 for others. As for me, I have this problem with one pistol out of numerous handguns, many of which are polymer-framed, including at least 5 other Gen 3.

17. L-2

L-2

Another item to consider is Glock's "new" breech-face" cut/notch; present in some, but not all, Gen5 models, which supposedly also affects brass ejection more positively.

Fatboy2001 likes this.
  18. Rocky7

Some of the Posters still use the excuse.....Limp wristing, maybe as many as 10,000 posts over the years.

Glock is correcting the 9mm’s, see the comments on the Gen 5’s. The fallout has also gone with a redesigned( heavier) slide/barrel on the Brazilian Glock, I suspect all .40’s and .357 sigs might gain weight.

Remember there are still people that think Columbus found America first, the moon has never seen footprints of mankind and Trumpf is not our President.

19. Bradd D

Bradd D

I haven't experienced erratic ejection or BTF with Gen 4 guns in a few years.

20. hivel9mm

hivel9mm

You actually believe in the moon?! :alien: