GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have owned Glock pistols for 17 years and own many Glock models from various years. From years 1998 all the way up to the new Gen5. I know how to shoot and I don’t limp wrist. I use decent ammo from Winchester NATO 124 to other good quality 9mm ammo.

It seems that some (not all) of the later model Gen3’s had brass to the face or super weak ejection where the brass barely dribbled out the side. My older Glocks toss the brass out perfectly.

The new Gen5’s seem to toss the brass out like the older Gen3’s with no reports that I’ve seen of brass to the face.

There has to be a geometry fix internally that addressed the gripes. Anyone have any knowledge on the topic?

·
Venor ergo sum
3,311 Posts
I bought a gen 5 G19 MOS last month. I now have 600+ rounds through it. Even the light loaded/weak Federal Champion ammo causes the brass to kick well to the right. So this G19 is good to go. My 19X ejects similarly.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My gen5’s all toss brass hard to the right from my 19x to my new gen5 17. As do my early gen3’s And most my newer gen3’s Only had a few newer gen3’s Do the brass to the face.

I don’t really need a report on how your Glocks are tossing brass. I was commenting/asking if anyone believes the new design of the gen5 “fixed” what appears to be a BTF issue with newer gen3’s?

Or does anyone read these posts?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mine shoot brass hard, it bounces off the lane wall toward the ceiling, and falls enough distance to accumulate enough speed to hurt the top of my capped head. It rains brass. I'd criticize Glock, but it would be in jest. It's friggin awesome!!!

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
My Gen 5 ejects in a consistent spot to my right.

But then again I've never had much issue with BTF on any of my Glocks with the exception of my 21 with weak loaded 185 grain range fodder.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
The brass to the face is a horse**** urban legend

Reactions: Featherweight

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I just live with it. Occasionally one comes back at me, be it the oldest or newest pistol. Usually the last cartridge where the slide stops to the rear. Not a frequent thing, pretty occasional.

·
Exploring Alternate Routes
5,429 Posts
My gen 3 G23, G22, or G26 don't seem to have this feature. Did I miss out?

·
Registered
713 Posts
My gen 4 19 went back to glock for btf. They basically replaced every single internal part and sent it back to me. None of the parts were anywhere near the end of their service life so I don't know if they were trying to appease me or if there is a geometry/tolerance stacking issue on some examples.

By the time I sent it back in had replaced every part at least once myself. I even filed an extractor which I thought had cured it but btf returned.

I've only taken it out once since Glock worked on it and the brass Dribbled out of the ejection port. That's one way to fix it I guess.

I had a gen 3 (19 or 17) that did it intermittently but I sent it down the road for something shiny.

Granted, most of my pistol shooting has been with glocks but I don't ever recall having that happen with other pistols including :
Pps, lc9s, shield, eaa witness, mp9, 226, arcus 9mm, 320, xdm (2x) and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Should also note I never experienced on my 26, 20, g4 17, and a g3 17.

I will say I shoot cheap ammo. Mostly steel case but also bulk brass like federal, wwwb, etc.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
My gen 4 19 went back to glock for btf. They basically replaced every single internal part and sent it back to me. None of the parts were anywhere near the end of their service life so I don't know if they were trying to appease me or if there is a geometry/tolerance stacking issue on some examples.

By the time I sent it back in had replaced every part at least once myself. I even filed an extractor which I thought had cured it but btf returned.

I've only taken it out once since Glock worked on it and the brass Dribbled out of the ejection port. That's one way to fix it I guess.

I had a gen 3 (19 or 17) that did it intermittently but I sent it down the road for something shiny.

Granted, most of my pistol shooting has been with glocks but I don't ever recall having that happen with other pistols including :
Pps, lc9s, shield, eaa witness, mp9, 226, arcus 9mm, 320, xdm (2x) and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Should also note I never experienced on my 26, 20, g4 17, and a g3 17.

I will say I shoot cheap ammo. Mostly steel case but also bulk brass like federal, wwwb, etc.
I have a G19.3 that was hitting me in the forehead with every shot with several brands of 115 gr and 124 gr, so it's not a legend as some have suggested. I recently commented on another thread here regarding a similar issue. I've finally gotten it to eject to about 5:00 instead of 6:00 (mostly) by trying different combinations of Glock ejectors and extractors.

Some friends have several Glocks and occasionally have gotten a Gen 3 or 4 that exhibits BTF, but they've just sold them off instead of messing with them.

To the OP, I suggest you google "Glock Gen 5 BTF," and you'll see plenty of posts complaining about it, including some here on Glocktalk. Not saying it's prevalent, but there are enough posts on various sites to indicate it's not unheard of. If you produce enough of anything, there will eventually be issues with some.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Not really. I experienced it first-hand.

Apparently you don't remember there being a new BTF thread about every other day here.
As someone who has owned many Glocks and never had issues with it (apart from some weak 185 grain loads on my 21, never with 230 grain), it is hard to understand the issue.

I wish I knew someone with a BTF problem gun I could shoot, see if I just have been lucky or if it's something else.

·
Loser
1,732 Posts
No, it
The brass to the face is a horse**** urban legend
No, it isn't. One of my coworkers has a serious corneal cut due to that. It was an OIS and it did take him out of the fight but cover was able to stop the threat.

Glock did fix the ejectors and RSA's without admitting it was a problem.

Our agency had multiple BTF and stove pipes that the gen 4 glocks were rejected and H&Ks were purchased and issued.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My gen 4 does sometimes spit brass to the face. I often end up with one or two in my front shirt pocket. The gun shop I bought it from was sold to a new owner and I've never tried to send it back to Glock. Maybe I should.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts