Glock Talk banner

Did anyone watch the Premiere of Alone on History Channel?

6984 Views 65 Replies 29 Participants Last post by  IvanVic
I thought it was outstanding. It is the best survival show I've seen yet. No staged drama, no narrator... they are alone with no contact, they document everything themselves with game cameras and a video camera. The show skips from one contestant to another throughout the episode.

The premise is that 10 guy are put out alone, in different parts of Vancouver Island, they have clothing and only 10 survival items of their choosing. They stay out indefinitely until only one is left. The winner gets $500,000.

Two of the contestants are a member of another forum that I'm a part of but they can't discuss any details about the show until the season is completed.

The show is really watchable and flew by. One guy has already dropped out. He had a couple of encounters with bears and decided that he was in over his head and quit after his first night.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

· Registered
47,229 Posts
The first time the guy who quit spoke, I guessed he'd go out first. Then when the bears happened, I didn't blame him. With 200 wolves, 7000 bears and 1000 cougars that hunt that island...and you can't bring a gun...I have a feeling the supply of food will be nil beyond fish and it's going to be "who's willing to starve the longest". Mitch is my pick to win it.

· Registered
13,840 Posts
Not sure how valuable a compass would be. They aren't trying to navigate anywhere, and each one is hemmed in by water or mountains.

· Registered
13,840 Posts
The guy who quit the first night had a can of bear spray, so I'd have to assume that all of them were given bear spray (and that didn't count as one of their 10 items).

Assuming we aren't counting first aid items or anything you wear on your body, my 10 items would probably be:

Axe
Fire Starter (rod)
Paracord
LifeStraw
Pot
Tarp
Knife
Military Sleep System

I came up with those 8 and remembered that their lists were on the History channel's website. After reading their lists, apparently they are counting fishing line and hooks as a single item, so my numbers 9 and 10 would be:

Gill Net (got the idea from their lists)
Fishing Line with Hooks

It looks like they are all carrying the exact same stuff, basically. Hardly any variation. My list ended up being pretty close to their lists.

The LifeStraw to me is crucial (none of them picked this). Everything there is wet and I'd have to imagine that most of them will consistently have trouble getting a fire, and being able to drink water at your leisure without constantly having to rely on boiling it would be a huge edge. With the amount of energy they will be exerting on a daily basis, I'd want to be getting close to a gallon of water a day. That would be a huge, huge chore if you had to boil it, not to mention the best survival experts in the world have trouble starting/maintaining fires in those types of conditions.

I'm debating on whether or not the Bow (they get 6 arrows) would be better than either the net or the fishing line/hooks.

· Registered
13,840 Posts
Does anyone know u why no guns? Even a single shot shotgun would be an asset.
It would make hunting easier and drastically prolong the the entire ordeal. Also, it wouldn't be as entertaining to watch.

· Registered
7,262 Posts
No guns allowed? I was gonna call 6" 357mag 7 shot w/ some 158 Hardcast as my first item….but bearspray for free is cgood too. Unfortunately there isn't wolf spray or cougar spray…So I would be out before I was in.

Still, really enjoyed it. Picked my items. Need to go see what all they chose.

Gonna be interesting.

· Registered
47,229 Posts
Based on the item list at the site, it's pretty clear that they had a specific pool of items to pick 10 from. It appears that if you pick Saw, you get that specific model. Might not be too big of a deal with saws but the sleeping bag I want...it's going to be pretty dang specific. And 20 meters of paracord...I would be wanting a lot more than that as my cordage item. It explains why they seemed to have the same ferro rods.

· Registered
13,840 Posts
Based on the item list at the site, it's pretty clear that they had a specific pool of items to pick 10 from. It appears that if you pick Saw, you get that specific model. Might not be too big of a deal with saws but the sleeping bag I want...it's going to be pretty dang specific. And 20 meters of paracord...I would be wanting a lot more than that as my cordage item. It explains why they seemed to have the same ferro rods.
Agreed. They are all pictured with a Kelty pack. I bet they were given the exact same clothing as well.

· Sharkin'
6,078 Posts
I thought the guy who quit could've stayed if he just moved and camped somewhere else away from the mama bear and cubs. The only reason those black bears would attack would be over food or to protect their young. They were just being curious.

· Registered
385 Posts
I recorded and watched it. I was curious to see if they got to actually PICK their specific gear (knives and such) but as pointed out above, I think that they had a 'pool' to chose from. It's interesting for sure. I'm curious to see how it will play out. The guy that tapped out had that I'm scared ++++ look on his face when they dropped him off, I'm not surprised he bailed. I read the bio on the 22 year old that's on the show (who I thought was in over his head) but his bio is pretty impressive considering

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.