close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Did anyone feel the earthquake this morning?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by the iceman, Feb 10, 2010.

1. the iceman

the iceman Proud Veteran CLM

A 3.8 hit about 4 am this morning and I will be honest...there isn't much that scares me but that scared the hell out of me! I laid there awake for a couple hours wondering if there is another one coming and what I should do.

The epicenter was a mile to the east of here. We wake up to this extremely loud rumbling and then about a second later our place starts shaking and I hear things falling. I really thought the building was coming down. It probably lasted a good 10 seconds. I hate to admit it but I was stunned. I couldn't move and I didn't know what to do.

I know earthquakes are probably not a big deal to most on here but we're not used to that here so when one does occur, it's a big deal. I was beginning to wonder if the big one had finally hit in the south. Thankfully it didn't.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,585337,00.html

2. raven11

raven11

I felt it down here too, i didn't know what the heck was going on. the first thing i did was got dressed and did a walkaround

i agree though if the big one did hit the south it would make Katrina look like a poorly organized bake sale

3. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

Didn't feel it in central Indiana.

4. plasticgunz

plasticgunz Swollen Member CLM

Yep, woke me up. Thought that plow sure sounded loud and heavy and going on a little too long :whistling:, but then it stopped and I went back to sleep.

5. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

I remember almost two decades ago there was just talk of an earthquake in the Chicago area and the insurance agents had a field day with new earthquake policies. I can just imagine the *** ripping they are going to give the communista now.

6. the iceman

Yeah, I remember that. All of the talk, all of the scared people and nothing ever happened.

7. pakettle

pakettle

Felt it in aurora, thought a car hit the house. I think its bush's fault!:rofl:

8. the iceman

I find this really really erie because last night before bed, I was looking up the New Madrid fault line and got into Illinois earthquakes on Wikipedia.

I had completely forgot about that until I got on here this morning and saw the pages I left up from last night.

Talk about creepy!

9. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

10. the iceman

11. vart

vart

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  12. major

major Rejected member

Never been around 'em but a buddy who has told me it is the most helpless feeling imaginable. I will never forget when he said, "Where do you run when the ground beneath you is shaking? Nowhere......there's nowhere you can go to get away."

13. speedsix

speedsix

I remember that one. I was in school in Naperville IL. I was in 5th grade. I thought a big dump truck or something rumbled by when it happened. Nothing alarming. I didn't know and the teachers didn't know until later that it was a earth quake.

Hopefully the New Madrid fault is not going to have another big quake like in 1812. That one was the most powerful quake in modern US history. If we had another big one like that, the devastation would be insane. Our homes and buildings are not earthquake rated. Imagine St. Louis if they got hammered by a 8.0. It would be Katrina all over again but with far more deaths and injuries. Millions would be homeless.

14. the iceman

Well a 3.8 is half way to your prediction so if a bigger one doesn't happen, at least you can say you were half right.

15. the iceman

That's kind of the conclusion I came to when I had millions of thoughts going through my head while it was happening.

I know this building cannot withstand an earthquake. It felt like it was coming down and I just sat there because I knew there is no where to go. I am on the 2nd floor of an apartment building.

I know this isn't a big deal at all but for people who have never experienced one, it is something.

16. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

Not to get all technical or anything... But it's not a linear scale. Each point of magnitude is 1000x more powerful than the point below it.

That means that an 8.0 is 1000^4 more powerful than a 4.0.

Scary, eh?

-J-

17. the iceman

Very scary!

A quake like that here would be unsurvivable.

18. KILLERtj

KILLERtj F.I.B.

Yep, woke me up at 4am, couldn't get back to sleep after that... I heard it was a 4.3, but the local news is usually wrong about anything....

KILLERtj

19. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

An 8.0 is just about unsurvivable anywhere... :wow:

20. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

Eh.......We get jolts all the time out here on the AKPEN and Aleutians. The biggest threat here are tsunamis being triggered. I don't worry much about that either since I live up above any tsunami line and we have an excellent early warning.