Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maybe that's not the right way to put it.

I didn't really start shooting until about 6 years ago when my wife and I decided it was time to get our carry licenses, and make shooting our hobby too. In all those years, it's been like I just couldn't force myself to change my bad habits, and to overthink every shot, and I always felt a certain awkwardness when shooting. Again, might not be exactly what I'm trying to say, I guess shooting just hasn't felt natural for the most part. Don't get me wrong, I've always had good days and bad days, but it was like something just wasn't clicking a lot of times.

When I went to the range yesterday, it just felt like finally everything clicked. Probably the most comfortable day of shooting I've ever had, and my accuracy was much better than usual. I put 50 to 100 rounds through each of my G26, my G19, G23, G30S, G29 and G20. Didn't even notice any difference in feel, grip or recoil in any of them. Of course the differences are there, but all of them just felt natural, and almost an extension of my hand.

Anyone know what I mean? Like it all just finally came together, and I'm confident it's there for good now, like I cleared a hurdle or something.

Edit: Just me I guess...:dunno:

·
Banned
4,850 Posts
I believe the sensation you're describing is called "Being in the Zone." I don't know where it comes from, when it happens, or why. It's a moment of pure concentration where nothing exists outside of you and the task at hand. It's fleeting, and you're only aware of it after it has passed.

·
Registered
542 Posts
In just about everything I do, I practice, the light comes on... then goes Dark as I encounter the challenges of the "next level"... practice more ... goes On again, and so on... its a never ending struggle for excellence, as I go through cycles of success and disappointment.

Some lights come on brighter than others, in the case of shooting, it was at about 10k rounds or so for me. I continue to practice, and then practice some more.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe the sensation you're describing is called "Being in the Zone." I don't know where it comes from, when it happens, or why. It's a moment of pure concentration where nothing exists outside of you and the task at hand. It's fleeting, and you're only aware of it after it has passed.
Sort of, but not really. I guess what I'm saying is that I suddenly no longer have to think about technique, it's just there.

Sorry, stupid thread and when I read it now it sounds like I'm saying I've been horrible for 6 years, I haven't. Just feels like I broke through a wall.

·
Registered
33,217 Posts
I think hunting is like that.

When I hunt, I feel like if that safety goes off, then something is going down. It sort of feels like a switch to predator mode.

As a hunter you sit out there a lot and just mentally drift around. But then something catches your attention, and you focus. With me, and probably many others, when that something is identified as game to be then the focus narrows and the process of taking the animal is almost instinctual.

·
Registered
13,962 Posts
I grew up with hunting, competition shooting, bb guns, and toy guns. There was no learning curve for me maybe a bit of refinement but not a leap all at once. I taught my wife to shoot and she can manage without me looking over her shoulder. For her she had a few of the moments of clearity where things come together and made sense.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I think with handguns there are several of these moments and sometimes its noticed and sometimes it isn't. Sometimes it might be shooting the gun no longer feels like there is an explosion at the end of your hand and it doesn't even get noticed unless there is something off about it. Another for me was recoil control.

The bad days are when for some reason it just doesn't come together and it feels like you might as well just throw rocks instead, that's the opposite of being in the zone. Or picking up a flinch.

Reactions: BlueBacker

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Well, even when I was younger, I'd have a case of rapidly diminishing returns in terms of improving my proficiency if I tried to fire that many rounds in a day. Yuck too on cleaning all those guns.

Glad you and your wife are now more serious about your gun interests. Don

·
NRA Benefactor
5,779 Posts
I shoot until I am dialed in on that gun. Too much practice is almost like work. Usually a couple of magazines a couple of times gets me on track before a competition.

Now other than trigger time, I do spend time in developing motions, bringing the gun up and aligning sights, developing a cadence/rhythm for multiple target engagement.

·
Banned
2,157 Posts
I grew up target shooting (mostly rifles) and I shoot pretty well with handguns but it has always been consistent. I probably need to do more under-stress drills or take a class for that though. Problem is guns/shooting are probably #5 on my list of things I'm passionate about so I never can make the time for that. Some day I will..maybe then I will have this moment you talk about.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Been shooting firearms since I was 10, now in my 60s. There are times you can't miss and times that you can't hit anything! As you go along those times when you can't miss become more and more. The thing about that is just when you think you've got it down you get a day or a series of days that humbles you to your core... Keep practicing!

·
Registered
8,744 Posts
The Zone... a good place to be. When it all comes together in a Zen thing... feels good. Calming. You're there. Your own little world.

It can come and go depending on frequency and length of range sessions. But when it comes together, a beautiful thing.

·
A Grouchy Old Half-Blind Fat Guy who limps .....
591 Posts
My first OIS ..... Reflex from good training, the Light Bulb dang near blinded me. I have trained seriously ever since, and continue 17 years into Retirement :flag:

·
I don't even know....what I'm doing here....
9,401 Posts
I think hunting is like that.

When I hunt, I feel like if that safety goes off, then something is going down. It sort of feels like a switch to predator mode.

As a hunter you sit out there a lot and just mentally drift around. But then something catches your attention, and you focus. With me, and probably many others, when that something is identified as game to be then the focus narrows and the process of taking the animal is almost instinctual.
I know exactly what you're talking about.

You become the predator.

Sound changes. Color changes. Movement of game goes off like a flashing light.

You don't move. You don't breathe. Everything is in focus. You see individual hairs or feathers. You become one with everything.

In one, fluid movement,.........safety off,...........gun to shoulder,........sights,.....read prey,.....backgrounds,.......man right, man left.........bullet path........sweep,.........snap.......watch........watch......watch.....step......faster.......pause.....step faster and faster......

Yeah, I've been there...

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Why yes, when it became clear to me during a recent number of exchanges, that having a high post count on GlockTalk isn't always indicitive of, equate to, or reflect a person's respective level of knowledge, intelligence, civility, cordialness, and their willingness to be helpful. This preoccupation with and the misconceptions often associated with having a high post count apparently creeps up on some people without them even realizing it, and then before they know it, if they've lost touch with reality due to their perceived importance and high and mighty crass attitude, it's too late Kate...you're on my "Ignore" list now...

Thankfully there are exceptions.

But in light of this recent revelation, and just to be on the safe side, I'm now concentrating on keeping my post count low so I don't become afflicted with what I believe to be an undesirable yet completely preventable mental disorder known as GTHPS, or "Glock Talk High Post Sickness", LOL.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.