close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Did a good deed today...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by PrincessCelica, Jan 27, 2010.

1. PrincessCelica

PrincessCelica

But dang do I feel like crap that I even had to do it....

We were packing down today to leave tomorrow for a gun show. I had gone home to get some laundry done before our trip. On the way back from the house to help my boyfriend pack up, I came across a cat that had been hit by the car.

I just couldn't leave the poor thing there to be flattened. So I grabbed a box from our warehouse, walked down to poor kitty, and pulled it out of the road. I am glad that the thing was dead before I got there. It would have REALLY been miserable if it was still alive. I would've had no way to help it along. What really makes it hard was it looked like a kitty my family had.

If I had the $$, I'm thinking I'd buy the animal control center from whoever's pretending to run it and ACTUALLY run it. We've got a lot of strays wandering around the streets. And seems like no one cares. And tonight some poor animal paid the price. R.I.P buddy.:crying::crying:

2. puckhead

puckhead

Good for you! But we cant be everywhere at once! Just call it in, we will take care of it, at least here. Dont know how big of a town you live in though.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

You did good.
    There's a kitty up in heaven that's resting a bit easier right now.

4. PrincessCelica

PrincessCelica

It's a small town close to the rez. I see a LOT of animals walking around the streets. Some roads will have upwards of 10 cats sitting on the curbs. You see 'em as you drive by at night... all their eyes glowing in your headlights. Whether these are people's pets or strays, it's hard to say. I'm doubting owners collar their outdoor cats.

I don't think I've ever seen an animal control vehicle. And even those who have lived here much longer than me agree that it seems like our pound is a joke.

5. annieO09

annieO09

A few years ago I was driving to work I saw a cat get hit in the opposite lane. As I got closer I could see that he was jumping up and down in some sort of spasm. Just as I got close enough to see him clearly a semi-truck finished him off just as he was hanging mind air.

What a messed up thing to see at 8:00 am in the morning. Ruined the rest of my day quite frankly.

You did the right thing PrincessCelia and it sucks that the idiots who let their pets run loose are never the ones who have deal with what you had to deal with today.

6. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

You have done well. It is better to have some compassion rather then no concern at all. Every life has substance.

7. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

You're a good girl Princess. You got a good heart. I don't say that too often.

8. PrincessCelica

PrincessCelica

Thanks guys. For a while I was second guessing myself for doing it. It's not my job or responsibility to clean up road kill. It could have been dangerous if there had been traffic. In order to move this cat out of the road, I had to touch it, and touching strange, dead animals isn't always a good idea...

But the next day, I'm not sick. I'm not run over myself. And I feel good that some poor soul is resting easy knowing someone loved it enough to give it some dignity back if only in death.

I snuggled my kitty extra close last night (much to her annoyance!). And I didn't complain this morning when I woke up sore from her forcing me to sleep bow-legged all night so she could curl up close to me.

9. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

You know, it's always been a difficult train of thought for me, to realize that if need be I could take another's life without heasitation.......but cry like a baby when some wrong is done to an animal.

I don't think I value an animal's life "over" a humans like the PETA bunch seem to do, but don't really. And I don't believe an animal has more "worth" than a human, even though I love my own pet dearly. I guess it's more along the lines that I've seen many people treat other people in ways that not even a wild animal would would treat another animal, wild or otherwise. I know and understand that animals can kill.......do kill, for many reasons. It's just that I've never known one to do it for...........................well, for fun, as many people seem to do. If not for fun, at least without any care or reflection at all. People are supposed to be able to control such things while animals act out of instinct. What does that say about the people who act even worse than animals?

Animals do what animals do. It's just that way. That a lot of people appear to do even worse than animals at times, just leaves me a bit......................

10. PrincessCelica

PrincessCelica

I have to agree with you, Carrys. It does seem like a bad person is so much worse than a bad animal. A bad animal can't help its instincts and/or illness that is causing it to act that way. A person should have morals in place to keep it from acting indecent.

Watching at least 2 cars drive right over the cat without even TRYING to change lanes broke my heart. The fact that someone had hit this poor thing without stopping to check on it is even worse.

I don't value animals over humans, but I do value them.

11. jhoagland

jhoagland That's right! Lifetime Member

That's a tough thing. Once, I hit a dog that ran out in the road. The poor thing was mortally wounded but still alive. I picked him up and put him on the shoulder then started running and knocking door to door looking for the owner. The dog didn't have a collar but definately looked like someones pet. I knocked on 20 doors at least trying to find out who was the owner.
    I had around 6-7 folks open the door and none of them knew the dog. As much as I hated to do it I took off my shirt and slid the dog onto the shirt so I could carry it gently.

I then drove to a spot in the woods and put him down.

For those that say I should have taken him to a vet, know this, the poor dog's entire back half was crushed flat. That is the most delicate way to put it. Even if a team of vets showed up 30 seconds after the accident he wouldn't have made it.

12. bigj480

bigj480 CLM

"Help control the pet population. Have your pet spayed or neutered." -Bob Barker

I was in a parking lot, right off the feeder once and witnessed a dog get hit pretty hard by a van. The dog instantly lost the use of it's rear legs and crawled to the sidewalk and sat there whining. The driver slowed and then continued on their way. After running to see the dog I got back to my car and went through the underpass to where I had seen them pull in. I found the van parked outside the Fiesta supermarket and waited for the driver to return. Eventually a man, his wife and his young son came to the van. I asked them if they hit a dog and he responded with something to the effect of "don't speak english". I told him he knew what I was saying and that he is a pathetic person. I really didn't know what to do because I didn't know who to call to pick up the dog at 9-10pm and I was not sure that he had broken any law, I'm still not sure. When I got back to the last spot the I saw the dog, he was nowhere to be found. He probably crawled to a well hidden spot to die, as dogs often do when injured. I don't now how people can be so cruel.

13. Foxterriermom

Foxterriermom No place like home

I hit a squirrel two weeks ago - totally unavoidable. I was the only traffic coming from either direction and the silly nut ran right out in front of me while moving at 70 mph. I almost cried. I can't imagine hitting a domestic animal. I think I would be traumatized. I always cringe when I see a dead dog or cat along side the road because I envision some family waiting for its beloved pet to come home and not knowing what became of it.