Diamondback working on a pocket-nine

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by TurboRocket, Feb 2, 2010.

1. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

After seeing some of the threads on the Diamondback .380, I sent an email to that company to see if they were working on a 9mm. I have no use for a .380 but a 9mm in a very similar size would be great (not crazy about the existing pocket-nines on the market currently). Just got Diamondback's response today. The answer was cryptic, and gave no other details, but they said they are working on one.

If you have experience with their .380 pistol, feel free to post comments about it here, or comments on the company: fit, finish, overall quality, operation, any jams, customer service of the company, etc., etc.

2. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

Now they got my attention...again. :)

3. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

If they could manage a 9mm in roughly the same size, weight, and price range as their .380, they'd have to beat customers off with a stick.

4. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

I have two of them, and have not had an issue with either one. I love them! Great little shooters, and recoil is MUCH softer than my Ruger LCP! They fit perfectly in my Uncle Mikes Pocket Holster that fits my Ruger LCP w/ Crimson Trace. They're good little pistols, and from what I've heard, can also use Kel-Tech mags with no problem. Either way, I just went ahead and ordered two more mags from Diamondback; their mags are pretty to look at. LOL!

[​IMG]

5. Airborne Infantryman

+1000. I'd buy four of them. :whistling:

6. viniglock

viniglock

That Sir for you is an understatement:wavey:!

7. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Interesting, but what is wrong with the Kahr PM9?

8. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

Oh yeah, I almost forgot I had one of those. :supergrin:

9. Just1More

Just1More

It doesn't look like a Glock.

10. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

...and doesn't have a Glock-like trigger.

Anyone have input on how the DB's trigger feel is????

11. viniglock

viniglock

Is too darn expensive!:whistling:

12. Airborne Infantryman

Its weird; kinda like a Kahr, but lighter. I like it. Best trigger pull on a Mouse Gun I've ever shot with.

13. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

14. Chainlink

Chainlink

X2 on the trigger I like it a lot. Best mmmm don't know, but certainly better than the LCP or P3AT

15. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

Its about time someone does. I posted something about it in a thread here one time. With all these companies dying to jump on the 380 bandwagon. If just one of them would pop their head out of their butt and develop a pocket 9 and do it a few hundred $ cheaper than Rohrbahr does that it would be a big seller. Glad to hear someone maybe listened. Hmmmmm.....ROYALTIES?

16. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Sent them another email with some unsolicited input. :supergrin:

I suggested:
    - keeping it as close to the size of their .380 pistol in a 9mm would be very critical
    - even if it had to be 5+1 (not that I want that, but 5+1 9mm is better than 6+1 .380, IMHO)
    - Rohrbaugh should be the max size by comparison, preferably slightly smaller
    - street price under $500.

I also asked about the anticipated time frame. Their cryptic answer was at least 1 year, and they did not comment on my suggestions.

Anyway, just passing this on. Looks like my snubbie will have to ride BUG/deep concealment for a little longer. I'm OK with that, if they use the time to work out any remaining bugs in their .380 pistol, I might be willing to jump into their 9mm 1st gen.

17. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

I saw on Rohrbaugh's site that they now have a .380 pistol. WTF for??? :dunno: They should have spent the R&D $$$ in making their R9 cheaper to produce.

18. Seamus O'Connor

Seamus O'Connor The Dixie Mick

I got a sneaking suspicion that we will see firearm manufacturers heading in the "wrong" direction in the coming months/years. I believe we're getting ready to see a flock of .32ACP pocket-matics hit the market. I have read of three major ammunition makers preparing "modern" .32ACP rounds for the market to be released within the next six months. This is normally how it happens. The ammo manufacturers develop "new" cartridges "knowing" that there are going to be several new weapon platforms that will utilize that round. Think .380ACP for just one recent example.

Small manufacturers like Diamondback and Kel-Tec usually make their own way, but the big boys all collude, in my estimation.

19. Hendricks433

Hendricks433

+1000, I would get the PM9 but its outrageously priced. The only real option at the moment is the PF-9 which I may go with.

20. cpelliott

cpelliott

No reason based solely on ammo size than it would need to go to 5 rounds. The 380 is 9mm x 17mm. 9mm ruger is 9mm x 19mm. In theory the gun could be 4mm longer than the 380 and the same in the other 2 dimensions. The barrel and chamber though would need to be stronger since .380 PSI is 21,500 and 9mm ruger is 35,000. If you thickened them by 1mm, it would add 2mm to width and 1mm to height.

I haven't fired the DB380, but I do have an LCP. If you just upsized the Diamondback by the minimum required by ammo size, the 63% increase in PSI would be a little rough on the hands. The Rohrbaugh weighs 14.3 oz empty and the DB 8.8 oz. If a 9mm ruger DB weighed just over 9 oz, it would kick a lot worse than the Rohrbaugh. Based on the calculations above, a 9mm DB could be 5.40"x3.81"x0.83" where the 380 is 5.24"x3.77"x0.75".

For me personally I carry an LCP when I need 100% concealment in any clothing. Otherwise I carry a G26. I'm not sure I would want too much more power in an LCP-sized platform. I guess if I was looking for something in between, I would look at a PF-9.

As to the suggestion for smaller than the Rohrbaugh, you can barely get a 2 finger grip on it as it is. I can't image shooting 9mm out of something smaller.