Diamondback test not so good....

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by ABNAK, Mar 15, 2010.

1. ABNAK

ABNAK

I usually post on the Caliber Corner but thought I'd throw this out there for ya:

I bought a new Diamondback yesterday. It has the nickel plated slide. $400 plus tax and background check.

Took it home and began to dig through my stash for some .380 I knew I had but wasn't sure exactly where or what type. Found about 40rds of *old* Cor Bon 90gr +P loads (maybe late 90's?). I also had a box of 102gr Golden Sabers that I had set aside for carry ammo should I buy another .380.

Racking the slide you could tell the spring was stiff. New gun, manual says it needs a break-in period, no biggie.

Now, my wife is training for a marathon and has been doing some running in the middle of nowhere so she asked if I still had "One of those small guns you used to?" Nope, sold my Ruger LCP and NAA Mini-revolver. I told her to just carry her Kahr PM9 but she balked---"Too heavy, it'll just bang against me". I was like WTF woman? Okay, excuse to buy a new gun! :thumbsup:

I loaded 5 rounds of the GS as this was going to be the carry ammo and handed it to the ol' lady. First round fired then failure to feed (FTF from here on out). Okay, maybe she's limpwristing it. I take it off her and rapid fire the next 4 no problemo. Yep, that's what she's doing.

Switch to the Cor Bon. Same thing. She couldn't get through a mag without doing it repeatedly. It was driving me nuts, so I'd load a mag and pop it off without issue. Then she got a failure of the trigger to reset (!). Pulled back a little on the slide and it apparently caught on the striker so we were good to go. I tried a little weak hand shooting and had a FTF myself. Now, this could be due the grip weak side being, well, weak.

Finally got her to get through a mag by gripping it uber-tight, but only once! Also had two more failures to reset of the trigger after chambering the first round in a mag.

In a nutshell, numerous FTF's and three failures to reset out of eight mags total. I can almost write off the FTF to the break-in period and lame grip, but it was excessive. The failures to reset, however, was unacceptable.

Called Diamondback today and was *supposed* to get an emailed UPS call tag by 4PM to ship it back. Didn't get it. Called again and they said "Sometimes they go out late". Mmmkay, whatever. Not thrilled about that either.

I like the gun and want it to work but right now I'm not impressed.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  2. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

I didn't know they made them with a nickel plated slide??

Was it done aftermarket? That could be your problem.

3. ABNAK

ABNAK

No, it's a factory thing. When I read the serial # off to the guy on the phone this morning he said "Oh, you got one of the nickel ones".

4. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

by your own account it was shooter error not gun error that caused the malfunctions.

why send it back to the company?

5. M249SAW

M249SAW Rescue Jockey

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

:agree:

7. ABNAK

ABNAK

Did you read it? I had three failures to reset of the trigger out of eight mags. That is the main reason it's going back.

The FTF were rather excessive, but I'll have to shoot the piss out of it and after the suggested 100rd break-in (50 more to go) if it is still doing it then it will become an issue. Keep in mind that 40 of the rounds fired were +P, so it should accelerate the break-in a tad. And no, the +P wasn't the problem as it FTF the Golden Sabers too. Again, I'll wring it out a little more for this particular issue but the failure to reset of the trigger is unacceptable.

8. ABNAK

ABNAK

9. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

trigger reset (or lack of it) can also be shooter induced.

let us know what the company finds to be wrong with the gun.

them replacing parts doesnt tell anyone anything as to why something failed to work.

10. ABNAK

ABNAK

Fly in the ointment of the trigger reset being shooter induced is that it happened after racking the slide to chamber a round of a new mag full. And yes, the round was chambered so evidently it was drawn far enough to the rear. It even happened when I pulled it back myself---all the way---after it had happened twice. All three times the round was chambered.

I read on ARFCOM last evening that someone else mentioned a similar problem and sent theirs back too. IIRC they changed the sear and trigger bar (?). Another poster on there said DB will put a list of parts changed and what was done. Not sure about the "why" part though. I'll ask.

ETA---I thought about the shooter-induced trigger reset possibility since my wife was having other issues but realized just when it was occurring. Maybe the mag being full (well, 5 out of a 6 round capacity anyways) causes the sear to skip off the striker by lifting things a little bit? I dunno.....

11. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

well it is a new gun and usually buyers of new models turn inevitably into the beta testers.

hope it works out for you. i like the glockish look and might try one out in a year or so.

12. patman

patman Large member

Keep us posted.I want one and really want to hear about happy owners.Before I jump in...

13. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

they arent much competition to glock if they cost 400 dollars

14. ABNAK

ABNAK

Oh, it ain't the first time I've been a beta-tester! :brickwall:

And the results have been similar.......

I like the gun, the trigger pull, and the fact that it's locked breech so I can use +P fodder if necessary. And at the funshop where I bought it I had the opportunity to lay a Ruger LCP and a KelTec over it and look straight down at the duo---they are the same size! Doesn't seem like it but it's true. The DB has a hair more protrusion to the rear in the bottom of the grip (like a Glock) but otherwise the dimensions are identical. It also feels like a real gun. Oh, the sights are little versions of a real gun too!

I want this to be a success.

Don't mean to be a naysayer but I've seen quite a few rosy reviews (of course I wouldn't get so lucky, that's why I don't gamble) and just wanted to post my actual results.

15. shaggy&scooby

shaggy&scooby

I want it to work too. I think it looks like a great little piece, even though I'm not into 380's. I will, however, be very interested in the rumored future 9mm that I've seen mentioned here and there, and for that reason alone, love to see posts about this little gun here.

I hope all works out for you!

16. gruntmedik

gruntmedik Honk Honk CLM

I got to shoot mine for the 1st time last weekend, but only had time for 20 or so rounds. I never made it through a full mag without having FT Extract issues. I'm using WWB ammo. I plan on getting back to it this weekend, weather permitting. I plan on running a total of 200 through it before making decision to send it back or not.

17. ABNAK

ABNAK

Okay, got mine back from DB and they did not include the two freebie mags I was supposed to get for having to pay out of pocket for UPS since they had *trouble* emailing me a call tag. :dunno: I called and asked why they weren't sent seeing as how it was even marked on the repair form and they were like "Uh, I don't know how that happened. I'll send them out to you today". Whatever. I'll believe it when I get them I guess.

Also, all they did to the gun was fire 54rds and said nothing was wrong. No FTF's and no trigger reset problems. No parts were changed out.

Now, I've admitted that the FTF occurred mainly with my wife and then me when shooting it weak-handed. Could indeed be part of the break-in process and a firm grip needed. Didn't expect them to do much about that one.

However, the trigger failing to reset after chambering a fresh mag (3 times out of 8 mags fired) is concerning. All 3 times a round was chambered so evidently the slide came back far enough to pick one up and in most normal guns that's quite enough to reset triggers.

Haven't shot it yet and the box of .380 ammo I have is for the Kahr P380 I bought Saturday, so it may be awhile before I get around to it. Not thrilled about this. Also, they said they don't recommend +P ammo so all you guys saying that's what it will take to make these work are not in keeping with DB policy!

Anyone want a DB .380 with (soon to be) 3 mags? :whistling:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010