close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Diamondback DB380 Range Report w/ Issue and Fix

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Muerte, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Muerte

Muerte

I bought a NIB Diamondback DB380 yesterday along with 50 rounds of Magtech 95gr FMJs. I took it out to shoot today along with 2 mags worth of PMC 90gr and a few Winchester rounds that I don't know the weight of but were flat nosed rounds. My first two mags worth of Magtechs had a failure to feed on about the 3rd or 4th round out of the mag where it looked like it was feeding high. The base of the round was still on the top of the lower round in the mag and the nose was sitting high (Wish I had taken pics). After about 3 mags of the Magtech with the 3rd mag firing without issue I loaded up the PMCs and halfway through the mag the pistol failed to fire. I could pull the trigger and nothing happened. Racked the slide and still nothing. I came back up to the house since I could not disassemble the pistol without a dental pick. I used a hooked pick to reach inside the pistol from the rear to move the sear under the striker to get the slide off the pistol. After looking over the pistol for a bit and seeing that raising up on the right side transfer bar would allow the sear to move I saw that my problem was the sear spring was sitting on the back of the transfer bar. Looking into it even more I saw that the spring had come out of the groove in the back of the frame. Here are the pics of what it should look like and what I had going wrong.

Spring in the correct position:
    [​IMG]

Another of how the spring should be sitting:
    [​IMG]

Here is what my spring looked like when it malfunctioned:
    [​IMG]

As you can see the spring came out of its channel and was causing the transfer bar to be unable to contact the bottom of the sear.

After fixing the spring issue we went back out and fired the remaining ammo that I had along with some Independence ammo of a friends. Had some more feeding issues that got better over the course of shooting and once it looked like either my friend released the trigger too soon which kept the firing pin from resetting or it may have short stroked on the independence ammo and not reset the firing pin causing the round to jam on the protruding firing pin. I did fire off quite a few mags worth without a single issue at the end of my shooting session as well as a few rapid firings without a hitch.

Accuracy was very good out of this little pistol at the 7-12 yards we were shooting at. It never failed to fire a round when the trigger was working. Shooting it is much nicer than my friends LCP which we shot in comparison and which also had a few feeding issues which made me feel not so bad...

All I did before shooting was to give it a good cleaning, light oiling and greased the rails and contact points with Pro-gold grease. I did not clean the mag before shooting.

I really like the feel of this little pistol. I wanted something small to carry and never liked the feel or shooting of the LCP or Kel-tec. Something I did notice after carrying it around a bit is that the rear of the slide has some rather sharp edges that let you know they are there from time to time.

I will be calling Diamondback on Monday to discuss my issues and see what they say. I knew before buying that there were some with issues but am willing to take a chance and if it has to go back home for a visit I am OK with that. I did ask for the highest serial number the shop I went to had which was a ZA28XX.

I will keep this updated with my response from Diamondback as well as further range reports when time and ammo permitting it can be done. I would say it is about 70 round into the recommended 200 round break-in so I am not really going to complain about the jams but the spring thing is an issue.
    I just wanted to post what I found out about the spring for others who may have the same issue.

2. Muerte

Muerte

Well I will be sending my pistol off to Diamondback in the next day or two. The guys I talked with were very helpful and said they would look into all the issues I had and get it back to me as fast as possible. Once I get it back and have a chance to shoot put it through its paces I will be posting more.

3. btolliverjr

btolliverjr

keep us updated...good luck

4. Glocken-spiel

Glocken-spiel

i also got my DB380 today ... and had almost exactly the same issues! used new ammo and had a fail to fire on about every third. figured it was crappy ammo. reinstalled the rounds and each fired on the second go around.

after about 45 rounds the next clip went "click-click-click". nothing! the rounds didn't even have indentations from the striker on them! i'm going to take a hard look at the spring, as your photo showed.

thanks for posting. i really wanted this little pistol to be a dream.
    day one -- and it's not. not yet, anyway. keep hoping.

5. lowbud

lowbud

My db380 has been back 3 times.

1: jam-o-matic - replaced slide and pilished chamber
    2: click click click, won't fire, won't take down - replaced triger bar and sear assy.
    3: same issue as before.. click click click - sent NEW pistol back to me.
    4: TDB. Waiting on Brad to call me back. The rear rail assy is broken after firing 6 rounds. I managed to get the slide off this time and the whole rear sear assembley fell out. the housing is broken off down in the frame.

I am giving up on this gun. I can't afford to keep blowing up ammo being their beta tester. I have wasted over 200 rounds between the repairs and over $100 in ammo.

It's a shame becasue when the gun fires.. it's great. I like the feel, recoil, look, everything about it I like accept well.. the obvious.

I'm not sure I can ever feel comfortable carrying this thing.. even if I was ever able to put 150 break-in rounds through it.

6. zhoucifu

zhoucifu

Dang! I hate to hear of more problems. I was breaking my DB380 in this weekend and was really excited. I went through a box of PMC ball and two boxes of Winchester white box ball without a problem. Great trigger pull, good usable sites for a pocket gun, and up until that point, flawless performance. Then I loaded up 6 + 1 of some Speer Gold Dot hollow points I was going to be carrying in it to make sure they would feed. On the 3 round the trigger transfer bar broke! Not bent, not jammed, but broke into two pieces! I had to work to get the round jammed half in the chamber out. I can't break it down and the trigger is stuck all the way to the rear. If I didn't know better I'd say the transfer bar looks like it's made of pot metal like a Lorcin or something. Don't know why you'd go to the trouble of making a nice stainless steel mag catch only to put in a crappy trigger transfer bar. I'll update when I get mine back from Diamondback. Any news on what has happened with the rest of the guns mentioned here would be appreciated. Even if you traded it off or whatever. Good luck to all my fellow DB380 owners.

7. oldbadge

oldbadge

Tag this post myself. Just bought one first few have been great. Love the pistol, but waiting for ammo for a workout.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  8. ABNAK

ABNAK

Mine is going back today. I had a post yesterday about it. FTF and trigger reset issues. Kinda pissed now that I read all these other problems. They were *supposed* to send me a UPS call tag but for some reason it doesn't get to my email (all info has been verified on the phone). So now I get to pay for UPS Next Day which is the only way UPS will ship a handgun. Peter at DB said he'd hook me up with 2 new mags for having to pay my own shipping. Still not happy about dropping the expected $45-$55 for UPS though.

I'll say one thing: if this has to go back again they're gonna SNAIL MAIL me a call tag and then I'm going to sell it or better yet, trade it back in where I bought it from on another gun! Then they can deal with it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  9. lowbud

lowbud

This is what happened to mine and was the last straw. The transfer bar is made from pot metal and broke in two down in the back of the pistol. I have no idea what they will do in the future but at this point I had no other choice but to abandon this weapon for now.

It's a shame becasue I really like it. when it worked.. but I was never able to make it to the 150 rounds of break-in on any of the guns.

Good luck to DiamondBack and to the people that have them..maybe I'll try again when generation two is out... for now.. I'll stick with me 100% reliable P3AT.

10. zhoucifu

zhoucifu

So are there any attorneys on the forum? Perhaps we can start a class action lawsuit. You know if Ford and Firestone had just kept replacing the bad tires on their Ford Explorers with the same crappy tires they'd have been crucified. How is it that Diamondback can make a personal defense weapon that is faulty and get away with it? Have any of you been to the Diamondback forums and seen the folks there with the same issue. They have got to admit that this if a design/engineering flaw and change that part.

11. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

I amazes me that people will run out and buy these things just because they look like Glocks... I'll bet people would drool over Hi-Points if they changed their design to resemble a Glock...

12. oldbadge

oldbadge

I am an attorney, and to date, there is no cause for lawsuit. I took mine out and put 50 rounds of Federal Hydro-Shok, fairly hot stuff, through it with no problems. It feels better than my LCP and with the sights, is dead-on at 10 yards. It shoots better than I can. I'll put another 50 to hundred this weekend if the weather holds up. I am still carried as an LEO in a town near my office. I asked my lieutenant, since he has a DB380 on order, to call them and see what the problems are. They told him that they have had issues with less than 1% of those sold. They have a lifetime warranty. I can live with that. Some may want to wait a while to see how they do, but mine is my favorite piece right now.

13. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

its good to see you rich guys volunteering to be the Beta testers every time a new gun comes out. saves us working stiffs a lot of money and aggravation.

14. zhoucifu

zhoucifu

Don't care about it looking like a Glock and not rich either. Heard good things about them but evidently that's from folks that haven't really broken them in past a few rounds. Most people that I've heard about truly trying to break them in with at least a couple hundred rounds haven't been able to do so without a permanent stoppage of some sort. I've read enough threads on this gun and it's problems to know that DB is full of crap if they say only 1% of purchases are coming back. They haven't made that many. Hell the counter on their website hasn't gone over 19000 and that's with all of us owners logging on and griping. What amazes me is the people that have nothing to do with this thread are jumping in and on those of us who do. I'd love to carry my G36 or G23 all the time but that's just not possible. So I needed something smaller. And you're right, I'll wait next time until it's a second or third generation. But theirs no need to be a jerk about it. So go be perfect in a forum talking about Glocks.

15. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

are you upset about somethin'?

16. zhoucifu

zhoucifu

Just that my purchase is not what I had hoped it would be, Diamondback is putting the same parts back in, which means it most likely won't last, and other people think it's worth cracking on those of us who wanted or needed a weapon like this. I know the Ruger LCP is getting all the raves right now, but it looks kind of cheap to me. Of course, my 380 broke, so...(see foot inserted in mouth). The DB380 has nice usable sites and a great trigger pull, when it's not broken, and I thought it would be a good weapon from what little I'd heard about it. So now I know. I just don't find it funny that I spent $300 and now they want me to spend another $45 to $50 on overnight delivery for them to put another MIM trigger bar in. I purchased a P238 the other night to replace the DB380 until things get sorted out. It's got nice sights and functioned really well. Have to carry cocked and locked, but with the right holsters this doesn't concern me. Just wish DB would address the real issue, and replace the trigger bar with a machined part that will last. The little gun is great when it runs and is actually more accurate out of the box than my P238. I shot a lot better with it. Maybe because I'm used to the Glock and XD triggers. Heck, I dunno???? Sorry to vent.

17. Trey83

Trey83

I wish you guys the best of luck in getting your guns repaired. The DB380 has a lot going for it and it's too bad it hasn't proven reliable. For now I will trust in my LCP.

18. ABNAK

ABNAK

Did they not send you a UPS call tag? They *said* they tried to send me one but for whatever reason it never came through on my computer. Had to pay out of pocket but they said they'd send me 2 more new mags with it. Not overly thrilled with the mags as I'm not sure how long it's gonna be in my collection. One more time with problems and it's getting traded in (obviously with some cash too) at the gunshop I bought it from for a Kahr .380. I won't say a word to them about any problems either. They can deal with it.

I'll give the DB one more chance then it's gone. And it will be the full break-in count too, not just a few mags worth. Hell, I couldn't make it through 40rds without issues.

19. zhoucifu

zhoucifu

No UPS info yet. I'm still dealing them. I left another message earlier today so hopefully I'll hear soon and can get it sent out Monday on their ticket. Yeah, I agree with you. I don't want a bunch of mags for a gun that may or may not work. Post back on what happens with yours. I'll do the same. Good luck.

20. ABNAK

ABNAK

I've read on other forums about guys who got call tags, even pre-paid shipping boxes from DB! These were from like Jan.-Feb. so I'm beginning to wonder if they're having so many come back that they're trying to save themselves some $$$ by saying that there must be a problem with your computer so just send it on your dime and we'll give you a mag(s). I'm sure those mags don't cost them anywhere near what overnight UPS would, especially if the amount of guns coming back is beginning to mount.