close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Diabetics - good cookie, goodies recipies?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by MB-G26, Jan 7, 2005.

1. MB-G26

MB-G26 Non-existent STUPID GURL Lifetime Member

A couple wks after my Mother died in late November, my dad moved to a retirement community, has an individual apartment, etc., but anyway.... he is med-controlled Type II. He also has Parkinson's, which adds a double whammy to his pre-existing sweet tooth.

I would love to be able to make him up some cookies and such, but using one of those sugar substitute powder/granulated products.

Could someone volunteer their favorite, easy chocolate chip (substitute chocolate chips with some other product designed to take their place, for diabetics?) cookies, sugar (er, no pun intended) cookies, maybe a simple batter for cupcakes?

How on EARTH does one make 'correct' (our family term for diabetic versions) frosting????

Thanks!
    m

2. Dr. Slots

Dr. Slots

I don't know if you are aware of this site; but they do have a diabetic section with a oatmeal/chocolate chip cookie recipe.

www.recipegoldmine.com

You also might try the American Diabetes Association websitewww.diabetes.org for some ideas.

Hope this helps.

Mike

3. dougader

dougader

You don't have to limit yourself to recipes labeled as diabetic. You can also check out the low carb recipes at several sites. Low carb not only takes into account added sugar, but also those starches and other carbs that are quickly converted into blood glucose by the body.

There's a ton of recipes here:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/recipereview/

I especially like a low carb/no sugar added cheesecake. About the only thing you change is the sweetener (and crust), so the end result can be pretty darn good. I make the New York style cheesecake out of The Joy of Cooking and substitute Splenda and other sweeteners for the sugar and then I make an almond meal crust for it. An excellent raspberry sauce can be made simply with fresh or frozen raspberries, lemon juice and splenda.

4. MB-G26

MB-G26 Non-existent STUPID GURL Lifetime Member

I'm finding some really good ideas, recipies, including those that look like they'd be easily converted to using a sugar substitute, etc.

I really appreciate it. Dad has always had a sweet tooth, which works against him w/the diabetes. Additionally, Parkinson's seems to come w/one of its own, plus the PD meds can enhance the desire for sweets.

On the days that neither my sister nor I can get to the apt for either a short visit or are there taking care of his fiancial and similar business, the best friend he may have that day is a sweet treat. I'm hoping to get some baking done this weekend - in addition to making up some 'emergency' frozen meal plates that he can have on hand, in the freezer, for the days he doesn't feel up to getting to the dinning room.

Thanks again!
    m