Detectives arrest man in hate crime slashing

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ronduke, Apr 9, 2010.

1. ronduke

ronduke

SPCA: Black man slashed dog that disliked minorities
    By Shawn Cohen • spcohen@lohud.com • April 7, 2010

YONKERS — A black man who had grown tired of the incessant barking of a dog that reportedly dislikes minorities was arrested Monday night after he slashed its face, police said.

The German shepherd lost an eye, and the suspect — who worked for an oil delivery business where the dog stood guard — was arrested on a felony aggravated cruelty charge. He also was charged with fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon, a misdemeanor.

Andrew Owens, 58, was arraigned Tuesday in City Court after spending the night in jail. He admitted to the crime, police said.

"The dog reacts to black people, Hispanics, anyone who is not white," owner Paul Tocco said. "She always barked at him. He (Owens) was well aware the dog didn't like him, and he knew to stay away from her."

A detective for the SPCA of Westchester said the slashing was unprovoked. It took place around 7 p.m. as the dog, a 4-year-old named Jenna, was leashed outside Valley Oil at 707 Nepperhan Ave.

Owens, who worked there as a handyman, had threatened to kill the dog in the past and told authorities it had bitten him about a year ago. Monday night, he "egged on" the barking dog and charged at her, Detective Ken Ross III said. Owens is alleged to have then brandished a 9-inch folding knife.

Owens is accused of taunting the dog with his arm, raising his arm with a knife and slashing the dog across the face, Ross said. The dog was cut "over the right eye, all the way down to the socket bone," he said.

Tocco, whose family runs the business, said he heard the dog barking, went outside and saw Owens strike the dog.

"The dog let out a loud yelp, and when I ran there, she turned her head toward me and I seen the whole right side of her head bleeding," Tocco said.

Rather than going after Owens, Tocco placed Jenna in a work van and drove her to a Greenburgh animal hospital. A veterinarian performed emergency surgery, but the eye couldn't be saved, Ross said. The dog was transferred Tuesday to an animal hospital in Scarsdale.

"The dog is supposedly in good spirits and is OK now," Ross said. "But it did lose the eye."

The detective said he's uncertain why the action was taken against the dog.

"He never liked the dog," Ross said of Owens. "The dog did not bite him (Monday). It appears everything was done out of anger."

Owens, who lives nearby, was arrested at his apartment at 10:20 p.m.

Tocco said he would never allow Owens to work there again. "We don't want him around here anymore," he said.

After an initial report about the incident appeared on The Journal News' Web site Tuesday afternoon, Tocco said, he got bombarded by media calls, with many reporters asking about his dog's attitude toward nonwhites. This upset him.

Tocco said he never trained Jenna to behave this way. He said he didn't think it was fair to call his dog prejudiced.

"I never said the dog was prejudiced," Tocco said. "I said it doesn't like minorities. I think it's unfair to the dog that you're publicizing that she's prejudiced."

http://www.lohud.com/article/20100407/NEWS02/4070349/

2. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Wow.

Just......wow.

Someone puts a hand on my German Shepherd they had better have a perfect reason.

3. ctaggart

ctaggart

Well, if you thought Jenna hated black people before, stand back. Poor dog.

4. glock192327

glock192327 Where is eye

Someone puts a hand on my German Shepherd, he may lose an eye.
    Poor dog. She was a better human, than the ***** that cut her.

5. Hollywood D

Hollywood D

I'm not sure that doing that is going to improve race relations between the dog and minorities

6. badlands99

badlands99

That jerk should have his eye stabbed out.

I hope people leave the dog and owner alone about this.
    I've known dogs who have been angered by strange things, including dark skinned people in one case. Also, people wearing hats, people wearing cowboy boots, people on bicycles, and I knew one dog who would get furious at anyone who touched a door knob.

7. Scouse

Scouse

I ran a Body Shop in the 80s, our dog, it adopted us! A Bouviey? did not like guys who rode Motor Bikes.

Same building I was in, a painter of considerable skill, painted tanks on Harley's. Chuck pulled a couple of those gents off their bikes! And a Cop!!

He would then run and hide under my desk!

What a rotten PXXXX to slash a dog.

8. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

How come Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson aren't decrying this as another example of the Neo-Nazi Canines keeping a brother down? It's clearly a case of self-defense against Aryan racist aggression! They need to picket outside the doghouse. No justice no peace!

Okay, all kidding aside... someone touches my dog, they better hope they can run faster than 1200fps if I have my sidearm and 2800fps if I have my AR handy.

9. GPalmer

GPalmer CLM

Well, Duh, the dog doesn't have money.... :tongueout:

10. AngryBassets

AngryBassets Jagenden Übel

[​IMG]

NO JUSTICE NO PEACE!!

11. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

If he is a purebreed GSD, they might have family fortunes in ze Fatherland with der Castle Von Wolfenstein, schnell!

12. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

How much of a retard do you have to be to think a dog understands race, and is prejudiced, anyway?

Even IF the owner "trained" the dog to not like minorities, the dog doesn't understand, its the owners fault.

It's hard to comprehend.

Randy

13. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Never underestimate the limits of human stupidity.

14. Scouse

Scouse

Each time my wee Glock reminder brings me back to this incedent, it turns my gut's, just like the first time.

This slasher must not be a very bright person in the first place, but what kind of man could cripple a dog?

15. VHT

VHT

I had Doberman that basically didn't seem to really like anyone other than white people. Never understood it. But, she was also about a year when she was taken in as a rescue. So, who knows her past.

However in particular tho, she ABSOLUTELY hated white men that had longer blonde hair. I had a blonde haired buddy that was really was truly the sweetest guy, and she just hated him.

Always wondered why she didn't like my (now ex) wife very much. Guess she knew what I didn't yet... haha... What a good dog she was really.

She could smell a gun on you, and got real froggy with anyone coming around with guns. She sit by them and just watch them with the "eye". Tolerated no fast movements from them either.

Interesting animal....