Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many rounds before you take your pistol completely down? What was the longest you waited to detail strip? I typically detail strip mine every 500 rounds. I know it is not necessary, but I enjoy it and 500 rounds down range doesn't happen as often anymore.

· Oh, for a muse of fire
10,293 Posts
I have never detail stripped any of my 1911's. Never felt the need to. I field strip them after each firing and clean them, that is it.

· Registered
6,073 Posts
I detail stripped my Gen 3 27's at about 5,000 rounds each, and found they didn't need it. I have always religiously cleaned them after every range session, which averages 100 rounds. I use Hoppe's, and clean the firing pin channel with a squirt of non-chlorinated brake cleaner which I blow out with compressed air. I top off my cleaning with a touch of oil or grease where Glock indicates.

During the detail strips, I was most interested in examining the firing pin channel. It was perfectly clean and dry. I haven't changed a thing about my cleaning regime and I figure the next detail strip, in another 5,000 rounds, will be more about inspection rather that cleaning.

· Registered
1,090 Posts
I did it recently to a Kimber that I had given to my son. It had been unfired for about a year and had some light rust under the stock rubber grips. Couldn't believe how easy it was to do. For a 15 year old gun, it looked brand new when I finished. It was my first time doing a complete 1911 strip. Guess I mainly did it to learn how.

· Registered
4,535 Posts
I did it during a vickers 1911 operator class as part of the curriculum
Truth is handguns ( or any gun for that matter) never need detail strip to keep them running right. It is good to know in case something breaks and to know how to trouble shoot issues that pop up ( also part of the vickers class) but generally the less you detail strip the better off you are. There is very little extra cleaning that can be accomplished with a detail strip that will affect the performance of the gun at all.
I think too many people are:
OCD about cleaning
Are brainwashed by drills in boot camp to get things white glove inspection clean
Or were taught by old timers who dealt with corrosive priming that extensive cleaning was required to prevent rust
Clean enough to function is clean enough beyond that it is a waste of time and effort

· Premium Member
22,879 Posts
I think too many people are:
OCD about cleaning
Are brainwashed by drills in boot camp to get things white glove inspection clean
Or were taught by old timers who dealt with corrosive priming that extensive cleaning was required to prevent rust
Clean enough to function is clean enough beyond that it is a waste of time and effort
Lead bullets will get the gun very dirty everywhere. Sometimes shooting in inclement weather or conditions, it's good to follow with a good cleaning. Besides, what's wrong with OCD. :whistling:

· Registered
547 Posts
Whether 1911 or Glock I field strip after every range trip regardless of round count and slide strip every 5,000 rounds or so.

Haven't yet seen a need to detail strip the entire firearm after over 10,000 rounds in my G17 and almost as many in my 1911.

· Oh, for a muse of fire
10,293 Posts
Another reason I have never detail stripped my 1911(or any of my other pistols) is I am the kind of guy who always has a part or 2 after I put things back together.

· Premium Member
22,879 Posts
Another reason I have never detail stripped my 1911(or any of my other pistols) is I am the kind of guy who always has a part or 2 after I put things back together.
There are a couple of guns that I've detailed stripped and put back together with fewer parts. My Beretta Cougar, my PX4, and my M&P .40 come to mind. Of course, that may have been intentional. :whistling: Come to think of it, there were a couple parts I would have removed from my S&W 1911, but IDPA rules wouldn't allow for it. :sigh:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.