close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Detail stripped my 27 last night

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by truetopath, May 16, 2012.

1. truetopath

truetopath

I was bored out of mind last night, while the wife was watching Glee, so I figured I'd go on an adventure and detail strip and clean my 27. First of all, I can believe how simple this gun is to strip down to bare bones. Secondly, I can't believe how much crud I had built up in the slide components and the frame. So after about an hour all the crud was gone the gun was lubed and reassembled, and I was a happy camper. I've been shooting the 27 regularly for about 8 months now and never realized how much crud could build up over that time. After reading the thread on how often people detail strip their glocks I figured I wouldn't find to much dirt in there, but there was a significant amount and I'm glad it's gone now. Just my experience.

2. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

I detail strip my slides everytime for cleaning after a range trip. I do not however detail strip the frame after every range trip. Not much crud builds up in the frame if you know where to wipe using a little bit of alcohol.

Detail stripping the slide will not wear anything out and it's a good way to ensure the FP channel is dry and clear and no carbon buildup around the extractor. I shoot cheap/dirty ammo all the time and since all my Glocks are carry weapons (depending on my mood), it's just good preventative maintenance.

3. Kyle M.

Kyle M.

I detail strip the slide on my G21 after every range trip. I detailed the frame once to install a trigger kit, and will probably do it again every 1000-1500rds.

4. scccdoc

scccdoc

Lots of fun and makes you feel better about your gun ! DOC

5. novasquid

novasquid

i'll be the 3rd guy to say i detail strip after every range trip. i know it doesn't need it, but i like doing it. some will argue that doing so will wear out the parts, but i can't see how popping off the rear cap on the slide and removing all the internal parts can wear anything out.

6. truetopath

truetopath

I think I'm going to detail strip the slide after every range trip now because in reality it only adds 5 minutes to cleaning time, and I'll probably do the frame 1-2 times a year. It is a nice feeling having a spotless gun.

7. Steve in Az

Steve in Az Walther PPQ

Detail stripping the slide frequently is fine, it's not wise to detail strip the lower---AND, it's not necessary. Haven't met a lower yet I couldn't clean without detail stripping, and I've been doing this for a few days.

8. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

9. ScottieG59

ScottieG59

A lot of gunk can build up in the slide if you lube the striker. I leave that area dry. A major reason I use Glocks is the ease of maintenance. It' s even easier than a 1911.

10. vmann

vmann Controller

i also do the slide everytime i clean.....

11. desert_rat

desert_rat

I found a ton of junk in the slot for the extractor when I detailed mine.

12. Green Mountain Boy

Green Mountain Boy

Every firearm in the home gets a full detail once a year even if it hasn't been shot in that long. This is a great way to detect the beginning of problems before they start. I think a firearm should come with an every 3k rounds rule or some such similar to a cars oil change.

Its always nice to have something to tinker with during a rainy day.

13. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

I detail about even other trip, unless I throw a lot of rounds down range. The first few times I would double check the procedure, but i also enjoy how quick it is.

14. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Field strip after every range trip.

Detail clean with this:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/HCS-200-Ultrasonic-Handgun-Cleaning-System/dp/B000WH858A"]Amazon.com: L&R HCS-200 Ultrasonic Handgun Cleaning System: Health & Personal Care@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41iFZbts92L.@@AMEPARAM@@41iFZbts92L[/ame]

Edited.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  15. dhoomonyou

dhoomonyou

detail strip slide every 5k rounds
    spray gunscrubber in frame every 5k rounds

sooner if i have problems

16. jw38

jw38

The SIMPLICITY of detail cleaning a Glock is one of the big reasons, we all have purchased so many of them. Think I'll go clean one now.

17. taurn88

taurn88

I finally stripped my g27 after 2 years of owning it. I used about 10 Q tips! I think I'll wait another 2 years to do it again.

18. Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit

Have you experimented with different ultrasonic cleaning solutions? Or simply use the liquid they recommend? It seems like people either love or hate the ultrasonic cleaners, and I wonder how much of that has to do with the particular cleaning/lubing product.

Dr. Detroit

19. dhoomonyou

dhoomonyou

not to hijack, but
    whats the secret to getting the FP spring cups on?

I had to hold down the FP spring and have another person come in to "third hand it"
    the cups in place.

help, tips?

thanks

20. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

are you seating the firing pin in the slide while you are doing it? Insert it upside down, pull the spring down with one hand, insert one cup, pick up the next pull back down and insert the second. Once I learned this it made it much easier