close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Destruction of my local Volunteer Fire Department

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by certifiedfunds, Nov 2, 2012.

1. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

This post is really hilarious.

Your basic assertion is that the private ambulance service will only give me a ride to bill it but your "taxpayer funded" service will give the proper treatment.

That would mark the first time in history that a unionized, taxpayer funded service has a higher level of accountability than private industry.

2. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

See, now you're just being intentionally obtuse because you know your position is not grounded in reality. Now I'm seriously beginning to wonder what ax you really do have to grind because Im beginning to think you have ulterior motives here.

Here's something for you to do. Go ask any E.R. Nurse or Paramedic about the differences between for profit services and municipal services and see what you hear. Seriously, get off your ass and go ask. You'll see that every word I've told you is true.

3. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Up until last month, my wife worked in HR for a municipality and was responsible for the public safety HR issues (that means FD and PD). The stories I have heard. Of all the employees in the city, the FD was by far the most difficult to deal with, refusing to play by the rules, and manipulated pay (via trading schedules around so they were working as much on time and half as they could). Then they got smart and brought in FPPA. All the old guys started getting booted. They no longer got the city pension plan (they wanted to double dip on FPPA pension and city pension) buy the city transferred assets to FPPA and told them to have fun. No more city pension.

A bunch of them (along with two others in the city) were fired for illegal steroids (some were selling, some just taking).

So what exactly am I supposed to ask about?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Actually, I'm just asking for what I had before.

If the department needs training, I'll pay.

If the department needs equipment, I'll pay.

What I won't pay for if I can help it, is to fund a bloated union pay and benefits package.

5. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

You get what you pay for.

" I was wondering what would break first; your spirit or your body."

6. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

I don't have to get off my ass and ask, I can just text some of the on call surgeons and ER docs, while sitting on my ass.

Obtuse is proclaiming that in order to receive quality services, the providers must be unionized, public employees.

7. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Actually, no. Its pretty good. Thanks for your concern.

8. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

9. Goaltender66

Goaltender66 NRA GoldenEagle

Actually, I think CF is taking a very defensible position. Assuming what you say about ALS v BLS is true, what good does any of it do the municipality if the union is pricing that capability out of the market?

I also think your argument assumes that the for-profit company absolutely would not add ALS to its capability portfolio if the market demanded it, or that the state/county isn't intentionally withholding ALS licenses from all but taxpayer-funded departments.

10. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

Better mark it down, cert. You've now seen history made.

You need to let go of your emotional responses here. The venom you're spewing is clouding you perception. You've chosen to equate issues that simply aren't compatible.

Dale is totally correct on the differences in training, capability and oversight between a volly and FT EMS system. Totally separate from whether or not a union is good, and your dismissal and ridicule of his points is foolish.

11. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

We get it.

Unions=bad.

Everything you've ever done=great.

Even if a large majority of those union members wake up and go to work just like you do, they're still bad.

I'm glad we have unions here, I can't speak to where you're from...but here, Christ. The powers that be do enough and STILL fail to follow a contract.

A former county commissioner (now in club fed) was quoted as saying that if he could he would pay everyone in my former dept 8$ an hour. Hmm...the guy never set foot in the facility I worked in....not once...yet he made that judgment?

Good luck and I wish you the best.

"I was wondering what would break first; your spirit or your body."

12. Sam Spade

Except what you had before didn't have the training, credentials or experience, and you didn't pay to get it.

Past acts being the leading indicator of future behavior and all that.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  13. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

As I have said, I can't tell a liberal from a conservative. The only difference is which cow is sacred. You have just shown us that this is a sacred cow not to be touched. But get rid of those damn parks. Who needs parks, swimming pools, sports leagues for kids? Kill that cow because it is not sacred yet "public safety" is a sacred cow.

14. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

A paid professional dept (which I am in favor of) is not equal to union. They are not synonyms.

15. Gallium

Gallium CLM

The largest problem with is is, the people who are calling for service are often (more often than not) very disconnected with how those services are funded. I don't have your credentials, but I pay attention to ER/EMS where I live. Our firehouse has on display (out front of station1 and on the web) the number of calls our dept responds to, and the nature of those calls. I don't have the raw #s, but more than 20% of all EMS calls that originated from the caller (say versus calls initiated by LE or other on scene 1st responders) are not true emergencies, and those calls could have been resolved by other means.

In NH there is a big issue with their Dept of Fish & Wildlife doing rescues. IIRC, the people that pay the bulk of the fees to sustain that agency (hunting / fishing/game permits) are calling on search/rescue 16% of the time. They have begun billing folks in instances where negligence is apparent, and if there are no fatalities to victims.

People should not have to think about how much a hospital ride is going to cost, but really, how many frequent riders do you get? Sometimes here the EMS crew knows when they show up the patient will have a small travel bag packed and ready to go.

It is my personal opinion that we have strayed to far from personal responsibility, to a point where .gov is being stretched thin to provide services that stem from a lifetime of poor choices.

I got dollars for donuts you are now rolling with a bariatric stretcher...

16. Sam Spade

I agree completely. You should tell that to CF.

Again, I agree completely.

17. Gallium

Gallium CLM

I need to get some skates Fed Exed to the devil :tbo: :tempted:

18. reelnative

reelnative

here it is in a nut shell guys, unions suck if your the tax payer paying for them because you will never get your dollars worth out of a union worker, and unions are the best thing that ever happened to us if your in the union

19. NDcent

NDcent Socially Inept

Yum, sacred cows make the best hamburger. :eat:

20. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Let us be realistic. There are many many people that are hard workers and they have a decent work ethic with or without a union. Sometimes it simply is that they must belong to the union. Not all states are right to work states.

There is a difference a "union guy" and a guy who belongs to a union. (not picking on women..I used guy as unisex)