close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Destruction of my local Volunteer Fire Department

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by certifiedfunds, Nov 2, 2012.

1. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

Getting grant money is fine as long as its not abused . Biggest expense in any dept. is equipment. Our town turned all the responsibility and equipment over to the county which formed a county wide fire district in 1998.
    We started with a 30x40 3 bay station built back in the 70's to a modern 50x50 2 bay( 4 doors drive thru ) station built in 2003 and we just added a 10x60 addition bay( 2 door drive thru) this year.

Since 1998 our volunteer station has grown substantially from a single 72 American LaFrance pumper and brush truck ( 80 dodge w/ 225 gal skid), 1000 gal tanker( 75 ford F700) to 2 pumpers( 1972 American LaFrance and 1999 Peirce), a 2500 gal tanker( 2007 KMC), brush truck( 2002 Chevy 4x4 3500w/400gal skid), Med Duty Equipment truck (2002 GMC W5500 w/ Hurst extraction eq : cutter, spreader, ram, and power unit w/ 2 tool connections. 9500wt Gen, porta lights, 6000psi Cascade system and various other items), a Chiefs truck ( 2002 4x4 3500 chevy w/ 10,000lbs winch) . We also just acquired 17 new sets of Turn out gear ( head to toe), 6 new Scott Air paks, 12 Scott upgraded paks, and a 6000 psi Compressor/ breathing air refill unit for our station. We also just upgraded 14 mobile radios to 800mkz (@ $3500 each) . Some of our equipment upgrades are due to grants, but the majority is from taxes accessed county wide. Our fire district has operated on the same millage rate for the past 14yrs, and we just asked for the 1st increase in millage since the county took over in 1998 and that was due to fuel cost and the match money required when equipment grants are acquired.

I've been in the fire service since 2001. I've been asked "why do I do it" and I reply, " someone has to or we would be in a world of **** when bad things happen" .

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  2. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

I take it you haven't read the whole thread.

Perhaps you'd like to send in my $500 additional tax? You'll receive the same value as me for it.

3. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Probably not, ISO is a scam and once you lose a paid department look to see that rating screw you royally...Who do you think is employed to do the surveys???

Someone will drop a dime once your full time unit is disolved and that rating will go south.
    It is based on where the water is, how many firefighters, type of equipment,, response times.... there is NO WAY a volunteer department can rate as good as a full time paid all else being equal.

Look here..
    http://www.isomitigation.com/ppc/2000/ppc2005.html

4. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

I'd rather burn the $500 than pay it to the worthless union thugs

5. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

We had an excellent rating as a volunteer department. It hasn't improved since becoming paid and unionized. The only thing that has changed are the expenses.

Yet interestingly enough the new chief is issuing all sorts of veiled threats about how the rating will drop and services will be less. We were fine before these THUGS came along. Where is their value?

6. Magnus2131

Magnus2131 Glock Gimp

Just to be clear, you can but prepare for a lot of *****ing. Good luck!

7. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

Let me add this about ISO ratings

10------bad ( basically save the chimney)

8-9 usual rating for rural area with no water
    6-7 usual rating for rural area with water source ( hydrants)
    5 -good rating municipality w/ water
    4- very good rating municipality w/ water
    3- very very good
    2 -almost excellent
    1 -outstanding , the best of the best

8. Mayhem like Me

I doubt that, you may believe it but it is not true 15% of your score is based on firefighters in service. and a deduction will be made when /if you go to volunteer.

As far as unions go again your state is right to work? how is this happening?

9. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

It's a real union. "Firefighters Local #####" I believe. Was just on the web page.

Once a union is involved,it will continue to grow and grow in terms of cost and everytime they ask for more tax money they'll issue the same veiled threats if we don't give it.

10. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

The rating has not changed from volunteer to paid.

Right to work doesn't mean no unions. I don't follow.

As I understand it most of the paid unionized employees came from the volunteer force. Others left volunteer service.

11. FAS1

FAS1

I'm curious as to how many homes/businesses in the community support this FD and how many fires/emergencies they respond to monthly?

12. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

Not true. We are vol. and we have a 4 and has maintained it since 05 or 06 . Orangeburg SC Public Safety just went from a 4 to a 3 and they are full time . So to quote you again " there is NO WAY a volunteer department can rate as good as a full time paid all else being equal" thats horse hockey...

13. huskerbuttons

huskerbuttons

I read very well. In your op you state the grant money has run out and there is no money. That is a decrease in revenue. I too would be upset if they were asking me to give them $500 more a year in taxes. And your opinion DOES matter, it matters a lot. But it matters in good times and in bad. When your Dad was the President of the board it was solvent. Now that people who have no idea how to budget and run a service are in charge, it sounds like it is going to hell in a handbasket.

What I am saying is that we need business people who know what the hell they are doing, running our services. It is when you risk your family and your neighbors family because of your anger that baffles me. You need to come to the table with a solution and a plan / deadline in which to accomplish it.

As for your income or value of your property I could care less. Everyone in my District has an equal share regardless of what they make or what they own. My board is made up of highly successfull business people who make the time to show up for meetings, knowing they make their community a better place to live.

I hope you can find a solution that is good for the community and the FD. You count on them to help you when you need it, now they are counting on you to help them when they need it.

14. Mayhem like Me

But your state does not go by collective bargining so WTF did you all bend over and let this happen.. you have no one to blame but yourselves...

Your local government does not REPEAT DOES NOT have to deal with these guys...

15. Mayhem like Me

read the standards and get back to me...

ALL THNGS BEING EQUAL .. you will be penalized for having volunteer response vs response from in house.

Company personnel — ISO credits the personnel available for first alarms of fire. For personnel not normally in the fire station (for example, volunteers), ISO reduces the value of the responding members to reflect the delay due to decision, communication, or assembly. ISO then applies an upper limit for the credit for manning, as it is impractical for a very large number of personnel to operate a piece of apparatus. 15

So You In fact are WRONG..

If Orangeburg goes volunteer and remains a 3 call me....that would be apples to apples.

16. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

No you were talking about a decrease in tax base specifically. That isn't the case.

In my community it's a millage. That means the higher the assessment the higher the tax. It isn't an equal share. In fact, we have a $75000 exemption.

I'm investigating getting a board appointment now.

17. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

I will let you know what I learn. This just bit my butt yesterday

18. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Mass actually DEFEATED a proposal to lower the sales tax on thugs. Teacher union thugs. I had seemingly bright conservatives telling me we'd be broke with a sales tax decrease. :rofl:

The last time we actually lowered taxes here the year started with a 1 a 9 and a 7. Sad.

19. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Here's the great part. If we reject both the renewal and the new tax,my bill just here at home drops $750 per year.

20. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

Company personnel — ISO credits the personnel available for first alarms of fire. For personnel not normally in the fire station (for example, volunteers), ISO reduces the value of the responding members to reflect the delay due to decision, communication, or assembly. ISO then applies an upper limit for the credit for manning, as it is impractical for a very large number of personnel to operate a piece of apparatus. This is 15% of the score for the Fire Station , but it doesn't give the total amount of penalty of paid over volunteer. Vol. depts still get some of this credit. its still not enough to affect the rating if the dept has met the other criteria.