close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Destruction of my local Volunteer Fire Department

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by certifiedfunds, Nov 2, 2012.

1. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

We created the district to serve ourselves. You seem to forget that we are the customers here. The F'D is there to serve us, not the other way around. They did it fine as volunteers.

Like I said, I'm talking to a few people about trying to secure a spot on the board. We need to crush this union thing and take it back volunteer. I'd rather pay Allstate than a bunch of union leeches.

Since you're such a smart guy, tell me what I'm getting for the additional $500 per year?

2. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

Bahaha. This is the gayest thing I've ever read on GNG. Ever.

Do you walk around wearing your local FD shirts on your day off? It doesn't surprise me.

The bottom line and rebuttal to your foolish mentality can be found in the last line of your own post.

The same people that would vote away thier [sic] positions if it saved them a nickel on their taxes.

Isn't that how it works? I pay for something at the price I demand and if I no longer wish to pay that price I lose whatever I am buying?

I'm friends with alot of cops and even more firemen. Alot of them are good, decent people. But I would not pay $500 more in property taxes to keep them employed.

3. certifiedfunds

Here's the funny thing and how they're really screwing themselves....

A millage renewal is on the ballot as well as this additional millage they're asking for. Everyone I've spoken with is so pissed about this that they're voting NO on both. Not only will they likely not get the new money but their greed may well cost them part of their existing budget. Screw em. Clean this stuff up. Fire people. Then come back and ask.

4. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

This.

5. huskerbuttons

huskerbuttons

As an Adminstrator for an EMS taxing district I applaud you for stepping up to the plate AFTER the department is broke. If you were involved in the departments business in any way shape or form then you would have seen this coming years ago. As budgets increase and tax base decreases, we are faced with the task of providing our tax payers the premium level of service they expect for less and less money. When houses foreclose and businesses close, the tax dollars aren't getting paid.

Now you want an appointment to the board of directors so you can carry out your agenda of busting up the union, but not addressing the real problem of decreased revenue. I am not a union member and my department is not union. I am not sticking up for the leaders of your local dept but have they been educated on how to run a public safety service? Have they been to Executive Fire Officers school at the National Fire Academy? Or taken any kind of business management courses? You have an agenda that has no place in the operations of a public safety service. You intend to harm a service instead of trying to help it.

Where were you when the dept needed help with their budget? Where were you when they had a beef with the Chief or the board and decided to go union? Why aren't you at every board meeting asking questions and holding officials responsible? You chose not to be involved and now you want to head up the destruction of the department. They really appreciate your help.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  6. JW1178

JW1178

I see that where I live, not really a small town though. Something I have noticed, the road starts to get rough. First, they go about fixing potholes and sealing cracks, which makes it just look like crap and even rougher at times. Then they re-pave the road. Then a year later, they decide to expand the road or so some other "improvement" and ends up repaving it again. All while messing up traffic for the construction.

I-75 through North Atlanta area. They had just repaved it with asphalt, rode real nice. Then they did a ton of construction and it looked as though they were going to expand it. What they did is made huge mess and expanded the shoulders a bunch, they turned it to the concrete surface, which is kind of in sections and rides rough. Then, most recently, they decided to reroute a small part of it.

Kind of like they remodeled the courthouse in my town while building the new one, and from what I could see, they finished the renovations just in time for the move to the new building. The new building is a great improvement, and I'm glad they built it, but why did they have to spend all that money on the old one that now sits vacant?

I think a lot of people see these things, even if they don't say much. I think more people are getting fed up with the govt. wasting our money.

7. Magnus2131

Magnus2131 Glock Gimp

Can't give people things then try and take them away. My BIL drives me crazy defending the Post Office. Most of it was Bush's fault.

8. certifiedfunds

Like hell you can't. Looks like we're gonna do just that.

9. nursetim

nursetim

I'm pulling for certified. Get your dept. back.

10. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

This is the crazy thing that went wrong. Not too late to undo it. There are a lot of volunteer fire depts around my neck of the woods and they do just fine getting people to volunteer and raising money through local donations and some fund raisers like dinners and ice cream socials. Start accepting government grants and the volunteer system dies.

11. certifiedfunds

I don't think you read well before posting. There has been no drop in revenue. This is the oil patch. My home value and the economy is as strong as ever. They're asking for more taxes.

This is a spending and union problem.

Some of us are out there working to pay taxes to fund these services. You expect me to attend every fire board meeting, every water board meeting and every city council meeting? I have a job to do.

But when you come to me and ask for $500 more I start paying attention.

As for whether or not I or my agenda belong on that board, I own a home that is in the upper 1% of assessments locally. I own a prime commercial site too. This affects me more than most. You're damn right my opinion matters.

My father was on this board and president of this board for many years when it was fiscally healthy, prior to the new paid employees and unionization. He's an accountant. Go figure.

12. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

:thumbsup:

13. certifiedfunds

I agree. That was the tipping point. The board members who agreed to it need to be tarred and feathered.

14. certifiedfunds

I don't care if our ISO rating drops while we fix this. I'd rather pay Allstate than union idiots.

15. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Meaning of course that after you clean up the mess you and the community can work on improving the ISO rating, yes?

16. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

My city is all volunteer as well, and it probably will be for a long time to come. We have a referendum on this years election to bond $4million for new apparatus, which I will vote in favor of. We have a steady increase of tax revenue due to a ever expanding grand list, and a decrease in everyone's overall tax, so now is the time to get the equipment before it's desperately needed.

17. certifiedfunds

Yes. If the rating drops while the department is taken back volunteer, so be it. The ISO rating hasn't increased since the union got involved, only the cost has.

I'm willing to pay allstate a little more in the meantime if that is even necessary. We had an excellent rating before, we'll get an excellent rating after.

18. Brucev

Brucev

Relax. A man like you can pay a tax like that.

If you don't like it, do something about it. Go out and find enough people like you to go to the polls and vote a different approach. If you're so hip on volunteer F.D., fine. Convince other people. Of course... if most of the voters are property owners who get all bent over the portion of their property tax that goes to fire services, then you'll get your way. If the majority of voters are not so inclined to go ballistic over such penny ante stuff, then you will have the happy opportunity to learn to accept what you cannot change. What's not to like about that? Hum?

19. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

I know CF, and yes he can pay a difference of $500 without even noticing..

I think that his concern is..
    a) $500 increase now, but where does it end?
    b) The principal of not having your basic self-interests held hostage by union influence when past history proves that the community can provide for itself without a "public service employee union".

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  20. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

The trick here is to not act on emotion and examine what has hapened.

Look at the rating your area has for insurance based on yoru current fire coverage, then look at what that rate will be when you go back to volunteer,

See what the difference in your Insurance will be each year, if it makes fiscal sense for you all to vote it down then do so.
    If it is cheaper to pay the taxes use your best judgement..

I doubt you have a real union I am thinking your state is a right to work state.