close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Destroyed Glock finish

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by hapuna, May 13, 2002.

1. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

I was using the spray on product that cleans an action and immediately evaporates so as not to leave any residue(like GUMOUT or something) I can never remeber the name but its very popular stuff. I was using it in the barrel but accidentally shot the outside of the slide(actually it dripped there). It left a huge area that was stripped of the black finish that comes new. In order to even it out I sprayed the rest of it and in fact got a fairly consistant look. However its like a light charcoal color instead of black.
    2 questions: Is this detrimental to the gun & can I get the original finish back somehow. Should I care??? Thanks

2. Pred8tory

Pred8tory Retired Copper Lifetime Member

that was just the outer oxide finish that you removed.. the tenifer coating is permanent.. if you want to have it refinished you can, but it's only cosmetic..

3. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

Have you tried wiping the outer surface of the slide with a quality lubricant such as BREAK FREE ? Try it...I think your "problem" will vanish!

4. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

5. Quail Fat

Quail Fat Member

6. JGO

JGO

Sounds like "Gun Scrubber" It left white streaks on the synthetic stock of my REm 1100. Tried several different things. Fionally, black shoe polish!. It won't work on your Glock. We both learned a lesson from this stuff. You might try wiping your slide down with oil and see what that does. Maybe the gray finish is more attractive anyway.

7. PACKIN' PLASTIC

PACKIN' PLASTIC 4,500+ posts

8. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

The finish is not bad but I was afraid that I had started something that would cause problems downstream. I will try the wipedown but now that I know there is no serious issue I will just tell folks I shot the finish off it. Thanks for the help.

9. Shiro_tengu

Shiro_tengu

I strongly suggest you dont leave it like that. Take the advice. It wont take you five minutes.

10. Steve in Az

Steve in Az Walther PPQ

I've used Gunscrubber on my Glock's for years, all over including the plastic components--and never had any problem. It makes the metal parts look ugly as hell until you relube, but never any "damage."

11. bill clancy

bill clancy

The same thing happens to me when I use Break cleaner. It strips all the oil off, leaving it clean, but dry. Applying Breakfree lightly restores it to it's original luster. Scary at first, but no damage done

12. badbilly429

badbilly429

ive never had a bit of problem with gun scrubber on my glock 27 scrubbed the plastic, and the slide and everything with it. works great until you relube. however do not try to use it to scrub the grips on your beretta tomcat clean. it will ruin your day i gurantee it. ;g

13. IPSC G34

IPSC G34 Sparky

I've worn a good deal of my finish off my 34 with dry-fre. The gun has between 5000 and 10000 rounds trough it in a about a year and a half. I'm thinking about stripping whats left of the finish, leaving it like that, or having it hard chromed.

14. Quail Fat

Quail Fat Member

If one of my Glocks get too scruffy, I simply re-parkerize it. Yesterday I sanded off all the black stuff from my Glock 32, degreased it and put it in some boiling Zinc Phospate (Brownells) and let it get really black by sitting in the pan for about 4 minutes. I then immediately removed the slide and put it in hot water, then I rinsed it for 5 minutes, dried it off while still hot then packed that sucker in Cosmoline. I put it in my deep freeze for half and hour, then using one of my wife's good towells, I rubbed the slide really hard to remove most of the Cosmoline. I then rinsed the rest of Cosmoline in hot water to melt it, then I applied some Prolix oil, and now the G32 has a super dark greenish flat texture that looks pretty good. In a year or so, when it is scuffed up, I will simply repeat the above scenario.

BTW, I didn't have to remove the sites (non-nite site) nor did I have to remove the channel liner.

15. bountyhunter

bountyhunter

But, you do have to hide the remains of the towel if you value your life.

16. Quail Fat

Quail Fat Member

Don't we all?