close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dismiss Notice

You are browsing the classified section of GlockTalk.com, by doing so you agree to follow the terms of service.

http://www.glocktalk.com/pages/classifieds-tos/

Desperate help needed!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Smart Shopper' started by Hackit25, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Hackit25

Hackit25

I have been trying to get an FFL dealer (Hoffmans' Gun Center, Scott Hoffman) to complete a transfer for me for a pistol that I had sent to him from an individual (another glocktalk user). The FFL agreed to do the transfer before he sent his FFL to him and now after recieving the gun he is refusing to do so. He claims it is against the law to transfer a gun he recieved from an individual out of state and transfer it to me. I know this is total B.S. because I have done this type of transfer before with a pistol at another dealer.

His excuses have been that its against ATF regulations to do this transfer which I proved to him was wrong. Then he said it was against against his store policy when I came back the second time. Now today after faxing him a letter stating my position and the facts so far on both him not comming through on his verbal contract and the fact that this is legal he now claims its against connecticut law to transfer the pistol to me.

Has anybody ever delt with this guy before here? He has been nothing but stubborn and not willing to find common ground to solve this problem. He said he would only transfer the firearm if it is shipped back to the senders FFL and then back to him (scott hoffman). That would cost me $120 total to do including the transfer fee's. I am definitly going to be bringing this to small claims court. The seller has the FFL that was sent to him saying how its a transfer from himself directly to me and it was signed by my dealer. I feel that this is a breech of contract and I know ill win. I cannot understand his stubborness and his willing to "shaft" a customer.

Oh yea BTW this is a glock pistol and he also sells glocks but not this model (20C). I think that has a lot to do with it.

Any help and info on this guy or the laws saying how its legal in Connecticut to do this transfer would be appreciated. Please spread the word! He is holding my Glock and essentially stole it from the seller and my self.

-James

2. Hackit25

Hackit25

Silvertip was the one who sold me the Glock 20C and he has been so extremely helpful in all of this! He has been researching with me and helping me build a strategy.

3. Pardoner

Pardoner

I am sure you can file a complaint with the ATF and some other state agency that regulates his business in CT.

Just the threat of this should get him back in line. This guy is an idiot. I don't know why he is trying to rip you off when in the end he will have a lot of headaches to deal with.

4. McGee23

McGee23

You know, just thinking about this, if he says it's illegal because it didn't come from an FFL dealer, than he just broke the law. By accepting it he has broken the law and I would think the ATF would want to speak with him. If he was to comply with the law, he would never have accepted the package to begin with. See if that jostles his nerves into shaking it loose or else call the ATF and enlist their help. I'm sure they would be very willing.

5. Glock Dave

Glock Dave

I just posted on the other thread concerning your problem and now I read this one. I am even more suprised now than I was before. I won't be going to that store anymore. I don't go there that much any way since I'm rarely in that part of the state. I agree with the other posts about contacting the ATF or the CT department of public safety. Like I said on the other thread. There are plenty of other good stores in your neck of the woods.

6. charleym3

charleym3 E5C4P3!

You can try this though logic probably won't work.
    It is legal for him to receive a firearm from any individual. He can do that an enter it into his books. He can then transfer it to you.
    If that doesn't work, and it probably won't. Your next step is to call the ATF from his lobby. BTW, don't ever plan on doing business with him again. If that fails to produce results, you can always call the police and report a stolen firearm. Once it is shown that it is legal to do the transfer and he refuses, he is keeping your firearm illegally. That's called theft.
    What an ***** Hole. Good luck.

7. Hackit25

Hackit25

Silvertip and me have thought about going that route. I sent him a letter with a copy of my states statutes for firearms. Of course there is nothing there saying he cannot transfer it to me. The last time I talked to him he claimed that it was now State law that prevented him from transfering it. The second time he said it was because it was store policy and the first time he said it was because of ATF regulations. Nice stall tactic huh?

8. Glock Dave

Glock Dave

What does this jerk plan on doing with the gun? Keep it? You need to make a call.

9. charleym3

charleym3 E5C4P3!

So what's the latest?

10. Hackit25

Hackit25

I mailed Scott Hoffman a copy of all the Connecticut State Statutes as proof to him that it isnt against state law. Just works out better on my side when I go to court and show I have made many attempts to resolve this and prove to him its legal. Ill be waiting for a call from him as his last chance to resolve the issue.

Thanks all! Ill keep you posted.

11. ray9898

ray9898

Man...what a nightmare. I would call the ATF now, he is not abiding by the regulations they have set forth when he got his FFL.

12. bigrob215

bigrob215 Rock Star

I am from MA, the motherland of handgun regulations. From what I have experienced here, it is not against the law to transfer a legal handgun to a FFL dealer from a private individual's residence. However, the FFL can make his own rules up on accepting the firearm, and doesnt have to accept from a private owner if he doesnt want to. It is up to the private individual to call the FFL dealer and ask if he accepts handguns from private individuals before the handgun is shipped. Most say yes, some say no (a small 5%). The guy is not breaking the law at all, by not accepting your firearm...AS LONG AS HE DOESN'T OPEN THE BOX. If he breaks the seal on the box and opens up the firearm case, he must transfer it to you. If he doesn't he will mail it back to you and pay for the shipping himself.

This dealer your working with is the biggest dick though. If he tells you that he will transfer the firearm, then when you get there, he says NO, hes an a**, and I would never do business with him. I would also tell your buddies or police coworkers not to do business with him either. Word of mouth is the strongest weapon against a business.

13. G17Man

G17Man Millennium Member

I have to know why in the heck you havn't called the ATF yet?

Call them. Ask to have a case agent assigned and meet you at the store during business hours. GO IN WITH THE AGENT. Explain the situation to the agent in front of the dealer, make sure you have copies of all relevant statutes and regulations. The store policy thing doesn't hold water, he sent out the FFL, thus he comitted to do the transfer.

FFL's like this guy give all FFL's a bad name.

Bring the heat, big time.

For Your Reference:

ATF New Haven Field Office
    150 Court Street
    Room 211
    New Haven, CT 06510-2055
    (203) 773-2060

ATF Hartford Field Office
    450 Main Street
    Room 610
    Hartford, CT 06103-3002
    (860) 240-3400

14. Hackit25

Hackit25

When I called the ATF and told them the situation they said that if he put the weapon down in his books there was nothing they could do because it basically becomes his firearm. Doesnt matter tho. I have decided to have this guy send the pistol back to Silvertip and he is going to send it to a very nice dealer I found north of me. The chance is very good that this guy would sell the gun in the mean time while I wait for a court date which can be up to a year in small claims court.

15. G17Man

G17Man Millennium Member

I find this hard to believe, because its simply wrong. The log book is simply an inventory control and tracking procedure. A bill of sale from Silvertip to you is all you need to prove ownership.

16. charleym3

charleym3 E5C4P3!

What a pain. My prediction, though I hope I'm wrong, is that the dealer won't ship it to "silvertip" even though that's legal too, but he will bill you for handeling, shipping, and insurance to ship it to a dealer that Silvertip designates once he is provided a valid FFL signed in Blue ink only. And he can stiff you for any amount he wants. Unfortunatley you could wind up $150 lighter, most of it going to UPS. I truely feel for you. This dealer draws a full 32 inches of vacume.

17. Hackit25

Hackit25

Well thats what is going to happen. Hoffman(the jerk) is going to send it to silvertips dealer and then that dealer is sending it to a dealer I found north of me. He is a really nice guy and pretty much does FFL transfers for his business and nothing else. Name is Vic Benson in New Milford, CT. Nice guy.

18. Hotrod

Hotrod

I am currently involved in the exact same situation. I bought a glock 19 from an indivdual in CT and had it shipped to a local FFL dealer. The local dealer called me a few days later and informed me that he received the gun but that I counld not have it since it was shipped from an individual. I also called the local ATF office but to no avail. I finally broke down and am having the gun shipped back to CT to have it shipped back to a different dealer. The whole thing has ended up costing me almost $200 more than I expected, not to mention all the agravation.

Does anybody know of any good legal recourses I might have. It really bothers me that dealers are apparently getting away with this $%*@!

Thanks for letting me rant a bit, I feel a little better now.

Hotrod ;t

19. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I would consider small claims court for your costs. Make sure you include your phone and shipping costs. Also figure in your time. Odds are your time will get thrown out but maybe not. Spread the word. TRY to talk to POS with a tape recorder running. (If legal in your state) Say stuff like. "Ok to try to work this out lets go over what has happened. I asked you if I could have a gun that I bought via the web transferred to your business that I bought from silvertip. You agreed for $30 to pay for your time. RIGHT?" Odds are he will fixate on the $30 and agree.
    I did this on a NEW pickup the dealer screwed me on. Thing is he was so stupid I put the recorder on his desk and clearly recorded the time,date,location,who in office, AND asked if he minded if I recorded the conversation. Well he didn't last there long and when I was dealing on another truck last yr at another dealership and saw him I asked if it was *&^%%. When told he was their best truck salesman I got up saying that I will NOT deal with a dealership with a crook like that for best salesman.

20. Westsider

Westsider

Have you considered charging the dealer with mail fraud? YOu can if any part of the transaction was made by mail OR internet. He has received something you paid for and refusing to let you have it. If you go to the USPS web site you can download a form for the Postal Inspector to accept a claim. Fill it out and take it to your post office as well as filing it online. It doesn't matter how the gun was shipped. The deal was made over the internet and the funds were sent by mail with the intent of completing the deal which the dealer is refusing to do. The transaction is not complete until you get your gun. You may not win but much more frivolous complaints have been made to the Postal Inspector and gotten results. Just the idea that the agency is sniffing your underwear drawer gets some people to comply.
    This POS is obviously ripping you off. Why not post his phone numbers so we could call and help explain things more clearly to him?

Westsider
    Willing to make a long distance call for you at my expense.