close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Desktop Computers -- Why?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by certifiedfunds, Apr 29, 2012.

1. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Excluding a purpose-driven reason like CPA or photog, why do you have a desktop computer today instead of a laptop?

I find it much more pleasant to sit on the couch with a laptop unless I'm doing serious work, at which time the laptop goes on the desk.

We have 5 computers in our house and not one desktop. I can't think of a reason why I'd want to sit at a desk to use a computer "casually".

What about you?

2. BobbyT

BobbyT

Less functional. A full-sized keyboard, mouse, and huge monitor (or multiples) are much easier to use and let you multitask a lot more easily than a laptop.

You can kinda-sorta replicate that with a laptop (my work computer is a laptop docked to keyboard/mouse/dual monitors), but you're still compromised. It'll be slower, hotter, and louder, while also being less portable than a tiny web & email machine.

I'm posting this from a desktop with a 30" 2560x1600 monitor that also has a TV show playing and my music program in the corner. I also have RAIDed hard drives for my media collection, so a hard drive crash won't cause me to lose everything.

When I'm on the couch, I don't want a hot laptop on my lap (but that is a legit place for a tablet).

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012

3. spork

spork Caffeinator

My primary desktop is built for competitive gaming. I keep a laptop on the side for streaming video/surfing web while using the primary rig.

For casual use around the house, I normally use the IPad; however, I prefer to be at my desk when I am using a computer for whatever reason.

4. okie

okie GT Mayor

Laptops suck dirt, you couldn't give me one:supergrin:

5. KG4IDA

KG4IDA

More bang for the buck, much easier to upgrade or replace a bad component. I actually see little need for a laptop. Use the desktop when at home and a tablet or smart phone when not. My thoughts anyway.

6. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I much prefer a mouse, surround sound and a proper keyboard with real key feedback. That, and laptops don't play the occasional game. I have both and would much rather sit a a desk with a desktop than lounge with a laptop. My old Toshiba Satellite will cook your nads in a short time with all that heat. HH

7. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

A top of the line Asus laptop couldn't even power one of my video cards let alone handle the heat. Hell my desktop is liquid cooled to keep the processor clocked @ 4.5ghz.

Laptop just can't give me what I want in terms of speed.

:wavey:

8. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

we got 2 desktops , 3 laptops. all have their own functions .

9. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

What do you need that for? Gaming?

Honest question

10. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Yeah, I'm not knocking. I'm honestly curious.

11. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Also, I don't need my readers with a 21" or larger monitor. That would be one big-assed laptop. HH

12. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

multi-monitor is the shizzle for getting things done. Multi-terabytes is the bomb for storing rips of my DVD's. Big multi-core desktop CPU makes processing video a LOT faster.

I have and use and love my laptops around the house, and they're great. But the minute I'm really looking to work hard, I want the screen real-estate to have a bunch of things up on the screen at once, and to be able to assemble pieces from various sources into my project easily. Hard to beat a desktop for this.

I use an i7-based 27" iMac with an older 24" Dell monitor next to it in a vertical position. My main window (browser, Word, Excel, Final Cut, Photoshop, InDesign, etc.) goes right in the middle, which is the left side of the iMac screen. My email window, calendar and iTunes ride on the vertical monitor, with some open space at the bottom which is where I put progress windows or other 'dashboard' displays. The right side of the 27" monitor has whatever sources I'm using to feed into the main window. I only rarely need to swap which windows are on top, and looking at e-mail or making an appointment doesn't take focus away from what I'm working on.

I can also draw from the 3 terabytes of drives attached, and be confident it's backed up every hour to the 3TB backup drive daisy-chained in.

I can rip and convert a DVD to h.264 in about 20 minutes... way slower on even a very fast laptop.

It's ludicrous overkill for web-surfing, or other basic tasks. However, I use my computer to WORK, and it's a giant efficiency win set up this way.

I loooooove my macbook air, and it's very fast and excellent for most tasks. But trying to assemble complex projects on a 13" screen gets old fast. It works, but I get COWS (Cluttered Overlapping Window Syndrome) very quickly.

13. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

I still prefer a desktop for the reasons stated...though my next computer will probably be a tablet of some kind. A tablet and a desktop and you're set.

14. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

I guess what I'm gathering for the most part is that I don't do serious work on a computer or game.

.....and my eyes haven't gone yet.

15. raven11

raven11

Games mainly, it's easier and cheaper for me to upgrade a desktop than laptop

16. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy Silver Member

I just like PC's better than other types. :supergrin:

17. Blast

Blast 'nuff said

Desktop compared to laptop is like comparing...

12 gauge to .410 gauge

10mm to .22 cal.

BMW to a Dodge

:whistling:

18. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

Exactly! Though I guess I should say it just depends on what KIND of work you're doing. If you're mostly working on one thing at a time, and authoring it on the spot, the kind of setup I'm doing is much less important.

I just happen to be mostly bringing a lot of different content together into one place, and working with some HD video, for which my desktop is arguably underpowered (really need a true 6, 8, 12 core machine if you're going to be hardcore into video).

If what you're doing is working great, you're set. You'll know if/when you want/need a desktop.

19. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

What I do need to do is figure a way to bring all of the data on these 5 laptops and 3 ipads floating around my house, together.

20. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

sounds like you need a server