Glock Talk banner

Desert quail food plots

933 Views 7 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  CanyonMan
I've got 3 species of quail (valley, gambel's and scaled) on my place and in the surrounding area. I've seen several coveys and there appears to be a good amount. Enough to put some work in to keep them happy. I've already done my part of the predator population ;), but I'd like to put in a small food plot as well.

Thing is this country I'm in now is quite a bit different than what I was in up around Phoenix and I haven't hunted any of the southern AZ quail thus far, so I'm not sure what they're after. I know they're taking off the mesquite, which I already have acres of. I'm wondering if a supplemental forage like corn or sunflowers would also be beneficial?

I've got 2 small water holes I put in that see constant action from dang near everything, but I'd like to set a special place for the birds. Both quail and doves.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Feral Member
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If nothing else the reassurance is good. I'm going to put in some sunfowers about 40 yards into the pasture from the mesquite downhill from the northern waterhole. This should give them everything they need come fall. The water especially. The only other liquid around is 2 cattle tanks and they don't have much cover with all the traffic.

I don't think I'll hunt them this season. I'd rather get the habitat set right to grow the coveys right now. I'll put a little pressure on them around the area and the bowl where I live be. Low predator population, cover, food and water should bring them in.

· Feral Member
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CanyonMan,

You asked about this project in the HP club. Here's the update. My plan went over like a lead balloon. I hogged out a lane about 200 yards into the mesquite then tossed out my sunflower seeds. Well, I picked the exact wrong time, because shortly after they went in we had a monsoon storm that washed pretty much everything away. So someplace in Old Mexico, there's a nice patch of sunflowers. :)

The good thing is that there has been a mess of rain here. Mother Nature picked up where I failed. The grass is high and the birds are happy. That lane I cut should be perfect come shooting time. It doesn't look like I'll need to wait on the habitat. It's everywhere.

I figure I'll just take a walk a couple times a week, make one loop around the place and see what flushes. A lazy morning stroll... with a shotgun. ;)

I'll be putting in sunflowers again next year, earlier though. Just 'cause the wife thinks they're pretty. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.