close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Deposit on a new bike...(opinions?)

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by hankhan, Sep 13, 2006.

1. hankhan

hankhan Guest

With the exception of a couple of years of craziness with a loud "Motor Company product", I've ridden BMW's since 1970. My most recent one was a '04 GS1150 Adventure - which was a great road bike but it sucked big time off-pavement (too heavy and especially too top heavy) so I got rid of it. Where I live and ride most of the roads are dirt. I've been looking at the GS1200, supposedly BMW lowered the center of gravity and knocked some weight off it - I'm supposed to ride on tomorrow at my dealers if it's not raining. But that's not what I put a deposit on. After talking with dealers, friends and reading various internet forums I thought the 650 Dakar looked like the bike for me, and I put a deposit on an '07 yesterday. It should be in Seattle in about a month. Problem is, I've never looked at one. Sure, I've seen them around from time to time, but I always thought a BMW should have two cylinders or not have the BMW badge on it. No one within 600 miles of where I'm located has one for me to try, as they appear to sell before they even hit the dealers floor.

Anyone know anything about the 650 Dakar? Is it ok on pavement? dirt roads? fire trails? reliable?

2. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

The Dakar 650 looks pretty cool, a bit heavy, but still dirt worthy.

I did recently see a link to this:
    http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/bike.jsp?b=hp2
    $21K dirtkike and you probably only get to drop it once.

Additionally, if a set of tires lasts 250 miles on my 40hp and 220 hp off-road bike. How long does a set of knobbies last on a 105hp and 400lb bike??

I suspect that most riders could chunk the rear tire in one ride.

3. Markcuda

Markcuda A gun a month

Is your money refundable?
    Ain't no way in the world I would put money down on something that I can't test ride:nailbiting:

4. hankhan

hankhan Guest

It's refundable - and when they bike arrives they said I could take it out for a ride before handing over more money.

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The only way I would consider having an F650GS is if I were to try to do a world tour. That damn thing is bulletproof and you can fix the engine with nothing more than some bandaids and toothpicks. That's why the hard core world adventure riders use the F650GS.

But let's look at it objectively:

a. It's fairly hefty for its class.

b. The suspension is really neither dirt nor road. Unlike the R1200GS which have great road manners and OK offroad manners, the F650 has atrocious road manners and not too great offroad manners.

So, the only thing that's truly outstanding on this bike is that it's extremely rugged and reliable. The KLR650 would kick its butt all over the place as far as offroading is concerned.

Now, if you want something exotic and at around the same price range, go with a KTM 640 Adventure. If you have enough legs to ride the Dakar, then you should have enough legs to ride the 640 ADV.

I'm a BMW guy, but when it comes to dual sports and adventure bikes, nobody can hold a candle to KTM.

6. hankhan

hankhan Guest

I tried to buy a 640 earlier this year when a few of them came in - couldn't get one. My local KTM dealer didn't get any. I've heard next years will be the 690. I've got a KTM now ('04 250 EXE RFS) that is a great dirt bike. I like them too.

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

There's only a handful of 640 ADVs that get imported into the US per annum, and then only a handful KTM dealers (the best ones) get a small allotment.

It's a damn shame that I didn't know you were looking for one because I knew a couple of dealerships that have them available.

This joint had one a couple of months back. Maybe they still have it. That is if you're still interested in having one. http://www.missionmotorsports.com/miscpage_001.asp