Glock Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Sir Arthur if you Puh-leeze!
3,086 Posts
I believe Texas DPS (highway patrol) still carries 357 Sig.
Don't know which pistol.

· Registered
11,396 Posts
Think .357 Sig is fine round, but cost per round is high,

Reactions: Jonah77

· Registered
4,154 Posts
We switched to gen3 31s back in 2008. In 2018 we were debating new guns and the chief forbade red dots so we went with the gen4 31s. In 2020 he read an article in a chief's magazine and mandated red dots. So we did the stupid way and used Trijicon's RM44 rear dovetail mounting slot to mount the RMRs. I had sent my slide out to Maple Leaf for an RMR cut and they already cut it before the chief forbade slide milling. So I am the only one that has it mounted correctly.
If he's still around in 2027 when it's time to get new guns again and he is still mandating red dots then I will switch our agency to the Glock 45 MOS and use either the chpws or fcd plates. whichever company will give me a group buy. lol

I haven't been able to get ammo in since 2020. We're running out. Winchester is supposed to do a 357sig run in April of this year so hopefully my orders from 2020 and 2021 and 2022 will get filled.

I haven't updated the wiki page in forever, I'll go update it now.
--updated and I added the RMR stuff too.

· Registered
39,779 Posts
Federal Air Marshalls last I heard.
I thought I'd heard the FAM's went to Gen5 G19's starting in 2020.

I stopped keeping up on what the fed umbrella agencies did in duty weapon selection, because it shifts with the tides.

The only agency local-ish to me that issued .357's for 12-15yrs started changing over to 9mm back 3-4 years ago.

In my last couple of armorer recerts for a couple of the gun gun companies, the instructors couldn't remember having any students in armorer classes in the last several years whose agencies issued .357's. (One guy in one of the classes came from the agency I mentioned above, but they were already in the process of transitioning from .357 to 9.) One of the Glock instructors said he'd been teaching armorer classes for several years and had yet to have someone come through one of his classes who carried a Glock .357 as an issued duty weapon.

It's been fading in LE circles for some time. Private owners are going to keep it alive on the commercial market, though, like has been done for .357MAG.

· Registered
39,779 Posts
We switched to gen3 31s back in 2008. In 2018 we were debating new guns and the chief forbade red dots so we went with the gen4 31s. In 2020 he read an article in a chief's magazine and mandated red dots. So we did the stupid way and used Trijicon's RM44 rear dovetail mounting slot to mount the RMRs. I had sent my slide out to Maple Leaf for an RMR cut and they already cut it before the chief forbade slide milling. So I am the only one that has it mounted correctly.
If he's still around in 2027 when it's time to get new guns again and he is still mandating red dots then I will switch our agency to the Glock 45 MOS and use either the chpws or fcd plates. whichever company will give me a group buy. lol

I haven't been able to get ammo in since 2020. We're running out. Winchester is supposed to do a 357sig run in April of this year so hopefully my orders from 2020 and 2021 and 2022 will get filled.

I haven't updated the wiki page in forever, I'll go update it now.
--updated and I added the RMR stuff too.
I was surprised that .357 was actually on the last CA state ammo contract. New one ought to be coming down the pike. Vista was awarded that last contract, with both Federal and Speer being listed, except for .357SIG. Only Speer GDHP was available in .357. Federal HST .357 wasn't available. And yep, the .357 was more expensive than any of the other handgun calibers on the contract (9, .45, .40, .38SPL & .357SIG). Overall, Federal HST was less expensive than the Speer GDHP offerings across the board for the major calibers. Then again, HST is generally Federal's budget LE line, so, it's pretty affordable when compared to Golden Sabre, T-Series or Gold Dot.

Fingers crossed Winchester makes that production run for you. ;)

· Sir Arthur if you Puh-leeze!
3,086 Posts
Texas adopted Sig P320 in in 2018, 9mm about 2015.
Texas allowed troopers too keep 357 if they preferred it.
I know for sure they carry the P320, have since 2018, I believe the 357 Sig is still their caliber of choice.
Correct. Been doing a bit of reading. 357 Sig and 357 Magnun outperform 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 Auto.
As you said, 357 Sig still the handgun of choice.

I am guessing the the 308 Win would also be preferred over the 556 NATO.

· Registered
4,154 Posts
Fingers crossed Winchester makes that production run for you. ;)
It's in Ohio's state contract too. It's $171 for a case of 500 practice ammo. A case of 9mm is $110. So it's a little more expensive. A case of 357 Ranger JHP ammo is $234.

I'm finally going to sell my old gen3 Glock 32 and replace it with a gen4 Glock 32 for off duty carry since there's no signs of Glock making 357 in gen5 yet.

· Registered
39,779 Posts
It's in Ohio's state contract too. It's $171 for a case of 500 practice ammo. A case of 9mm is $110. So it's a little more expensive. A case of 357 Ranger JHP ammo is $234.

I'm finally going to sell my old gen3 Glock 32 and replace it with a gen4 Glock 32 for off duty carry since there's no signs of Glock making 357 in gen5 yet.
In the previous CA contract (thru 2017?):
Speer Ball CCI-53919 was 1000rds for $281.20
Speer JHP CCI-54234 was 1000rds for $371.40
Speer Lead-Free Frangible CCI-53368 was 1000rds for $431.50

I can't get the new contract data to load, but I found a bid specification for the calibers and testing required for submissions for the new contract that's supposed to have been released last Dec. Interesting, if unsurprising. Looks like .357 is still on it.

· Registered
39,779 Posts
Certainly could be. Last contact I had was probably before then…
While on the one hand it seems like time has dragged during the pandemic ... but on another hand it seems like time has been speeding up and slip-sliding away. Sigh.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.