Dentures

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Detectorist, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Detectorist

Detectorist

So, this year will be the year I'll have the rest of my teeth pulled out to be replaced by dentures

How much do they cost these days? How was your experience?

Not looking forward to it.

2. amd65

amd65

I got my dentures about five years ago, and I’m happy I did.
    Definitely takes time to heal and get used to them. Figure a month without solid food. Soup, Wendy’s Chile, baked sweet potato swimming in butter and brown sugar...you get the idea.
    Now, I can eat corn on the cobb, and a thick juicy stake offers no issue at all.
    It was a big advance in my health, and I can smile again!
    It was pretty amazing, though.
    I got to the dentist at about 8am. Local anesthetic and a little happy gas. Extractions were easy as pie, and
    by 9:30am, I was at home, laying on my recliner floating on a Percocet high, recovering.
    Don’t sweat it, you’re going to be happy you get them. Life changing.

3. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Sorry, but gotta doo it.....
    [​IMG]

B C, AdamRodgers, pittpa and 3 others like this.
  4. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

Mexico. Many winter Texans will have dental work done in border towns. Progresso near McAllen. Sister even knows a guy that flew down from Michigan for work you are describing. Sister and brother in law's dentist was educated in US, lives in McAllen, but practices in Mexico. They have had excellent care.

tuica and TBO like this.
  5. Zonny

Zonny

Are implants out of the question? Cost prohibitive for many but a much better choice if you can swing it. I just got had two implants to replace four teeth (bottom central and lateral) cost was over 8K after insurance. I think they do an entire reconstruction with 8 implants. I've known several people that go to Mexico and it's a HUGE savings and they've been very happy. The guy that does my nails, (lol) has flown to Vietnam twice to get his done. He claims he can pay for the flights + the work and still save money from what it would cost here.

Joshhtn and TBO like this.
  6. scattershot

scattershot

They have dentures now that are secured to implants. Expensive, but you only do it once. Once you get used to your dentures, you will be glad you did it.

tuica, AdamRodgers and Zonny like this.
  7. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Was it lack of dental care for life? What caused dentures?
    I had tooth broken in car accident. Implant $$$$

Andy P and syntaxerrorsix like this.
  8. amd65

amd65

I was average in dental care, my wife was anal about hers, and had a lot of care.
    As it turned out, she got dentures about a year before me.
    As for implants...
    I’ve known a few who have had them. All eventually broke one and had to have it fixed or replaced for a few thousand.
    Dentures may be old school but I find them unobtrusive and easy to deal with.

9. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

Not knocking those who go to Mexico, but I always heard “don’t even drink the water” there and with the crime, drug cartels, etc...I am lacking the intestinal fortitude to want to go to Mexico for ANY reason.

not to mention their gun laws- I pack, even in the dentist chair. :flag:

best of luck to the OP on his dental procedures.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    AdamRodgers and Caver 60 like this.
  10. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

11. Adjuster

Adjuster

This is something I don't normally like to discuss because of all the naysayers but I am 52 years old. Never been to the dentist since a young child. Never had a toothache in my life. Have all my wisdom teeth etc. Brush every morning but have never flossed. Several years back I was biting some fishing line and put a pretty big chip in my front tooth. I saw a dentist office on the side of the rode and just pulled into the parking and walked in. Asked them if they could grind the chip out. They ground it out as low as they dared and I paid and walked out. Not a single issue with my teeth ever. Now they are not perfectly straight or anything, I'm sure I could have used braces as a kid. So am I just a freak and getting lucky with my teeth? Or are all my teeth problems from lack of professional dental care getting ready to catch up with me as I get older?

/

12. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

<--- dentist.

The fee for dentures can vary WIDELY, even within the same geographic area. Likewise, the QUALITY of the result can vary widely.

The old saying about "getting what you pay for" is really quite true (with some exceptions). I also like "pay once, cry once." There are TONS of miserable denture patients out there with cheap dentures they cannot use.

I would caution you about seeking care by the lowest bidder. Look around and ask around for a dentist who does GREAT DENTURES. I would NOT, NOT, NOT go to Mexico.

I agree with the other comments that if you can swing paying for some implants to secure your denture, it improves the function and comfort quite a bit.

Where are you in Missouri?

BlackhawkFan and nursetim like this.
  13. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    My dentist says only floss the ones you want to keep.

The plaque hosts bacteria so teeth and gums eventually suffer and as I understand it, the bacteria can even eat at the bones supporting the teeth.

"Gingivitis, if left untreated, can progress to periodontal disease. According to the Anaerobe Journal, the bacteria from periodontal disease can enter the bloodstream and travel to other parts of your body like your heart and respiratory tract. Periodontal disease has also been linked to diabetes"

tuica, Caver 60, Andy P and 1 other person like this.
  14. amd65

amd65

I know everyones results vary, but I've experienced zero function problems or discomfort...my wife is the same story.

Caver 60 likes this.
  15. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I have a full set of teeth but all but two are either crowned or a bridge. A few years ago I got two implants to avoid a removable partial plate. There is a bridge between the two implants. The implants with a bridge is by far the most comfortable, solid area of my teeth.

Caver 60 likes this.
  16. OXMYX

OXMYX

My Granddaddy told me, looking up from his lunch which was mush "If you have one tooth in your head KEEP IT."

17. Detectorist

Detectorist

Franklin county.

18. 686 AR15 G17Fan

686 AR15 G17Fan

Friend of mine got implants a couple years ago, solely to help prevent bone loss, and just kept his dentures because "they work so well I didn't want to mess with something new". Me, on the other hand, I got full dentures 2 years ago and hate them. Biggest problem for me was the top dentures were touching my gag reflex and I couldn't eat without gagging or even throwing up sometimes, so I took off a good portion of them. Of course doing that I lost a lot of the suction that holds them in so I have to use adhesive on top and bottom. Man I envy my friend !

And, as someone else said, keep any teeth you can. You'll have better biting power and it gives them something to index the dentures to so you'll get new teeth very close to your originals.

Yes, implants are ungodly expensive ! If you decide to go that route and $$ is an issue, and even if not, you can likely get them done at a dental school. I haven't gotten them but the school in Baltimore checked me out and cost would be about 1/3 the normal rate.

Caver 60 likes this.
  19. Andy P

Andy P

Can I ask how old you are, this also goes for the other posters with dentures?
    I am a little puzzled that so many of you has dentures.

20. 686 AR15 G17Fan

686 AR15 G17Fan

I'm 55.

The reason I have full dentures is because of complcations with cancer

Andy P likes this.