Denied a intoxicated idiot tonight a firearm purchase

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by rolltide_pisco, Feb 7, 2013.

1. rolltide_pisco

rolltide_pisco

About two hours ago cleaning up the department, a guy was standing at the gun counter. He asked me to help him. I came over and he said, "what do you recommend?"

For what?
    "Anything?"
    What are you looking for sir?
    "Uhhh, lemme see that Marlin 45-70 lever action".

About the time I handed the firearm to him, I could smell the alcohol on him. I ended up getting it back in my possession but not before he argued with me of why I refused to take the trigger lock off.

"Man how am I supposed to buy a gun with a trigger lock on?" "Ok screw it, I'll take it."

Walked into the office, called the manager in, told her the story and said, "I ain't selling him nothing." She called the store manager and I talked to him for like 15 minutes. By the time I was told how to handle the situation, he got fed up and left.

I have no sympathy or soft spot for public drunks. He did try to tell me he wanted it because he was going to Alaska and wanted it in case a bear attacked him.

Oh the joy of working behind the gun counter.

2. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

3. JimBean

JimBean

He might have drank to work up the nerve to take a chance on the Remington manufactured marlins which are a gamble lately. He put on his beer goggles.

4. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Good on you. Years ago when I worked in a convenience store I refused service to drunk people all the time. Thier arguments were "Im already drunk, whats the big deal?" I would try once to explain the "Persons Prohibited" statute, then ask them to leave. If they didnt, call the cops. At best Public intox, at worst DUI.

5. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

So was he stumbling drunk, or coherent and had some booze/beer breath and carried on a normal conversation?

6. boxer01

boxer01

Or was he drunk but that special kind of drunk? Where you're a better driver 'cause you know you're drunk. You know, the kinda' drunk where you probably shouldn't drive but you do anyway because, I mean come on, you gotta get your car home.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  7. JLB768

JLB768 Old & Grumpy Lifetime Member

And he probably hopped in a vehicle, and drove off drunk.

8. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I hate it when people won't sell me guns or more booze after a three day bender.

9. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I don't drink and drive, however I occasionally go out with friends. Might have a beer or two, not get three sheets to the wind. What if after dinner I wanted to stop by cabelas and pick me up a new 22?

10. boxer01

boxer01

That would mean you're a dangerous criminal. Especially if drove up there not wearing your seat belt.

11. NMG26

NMG26

I got cut off at a Christmas party once. Times they have changed.

:rofl:

12. rolltide_pisco

rolltide_pisco

Don't know about stumbling but he was slurring his words. You could smell it on him. It wasn't one of those I had a beer with my pepperjack burger at Applebee's. Smelled like Jim Beam to me.

I doubt he had the $600 bucks to buy the thing anyways. He even ventured into the other departments asking the associates to cut him a deal on other things.

13. okie

okie GT Mayor

Good job for saying no my friend:supergrin::wavey:

14. jpa

jpa CLM

Dude probably was talking on his cell phone while driving too.

15. Gallium

Gallium CLM

You really would have had to been there. From how the story was depicted, it is my impression the dude was a feather smack from falling over.

- G

16. LawScholar

LawScholar

Hahaha I got it Peter.

What, do they want you to take the bus?

YOU take the bus!

17. VCoupe376ci

VCoupe376ci

I have actually seen this a couple times at the range. Once with alcohol and once with pot. The one with pot was actually kind of funny.

Two girls in their mid twenties walk in and you could smell the pot immediately. They walked to the counter and asked to rent a pistol and buy some ammo. The clerk explains that he can smell marijuana on them and they would have to leave the premises. They actually went on about how they did not although it was obvious. First they said they were just in the car while their friends were smoking and when that didn't work explained that they were not smoking now, so it was fine.

The clerk was enjoying the stupidity and finally had to explain that if you were out drinking and get in the car and drive after your last drink you will still get a DUI. The fact that you aren't drinking when you are pulled over does not mean you are not still impaired. They said "Oooooh, ok." in what had to be the funniest expression I have ever seen. It was as if they had both just been enlightened by some divine revelation. They said thank you and left as the clerk was laughing and shaking his head.

It just boggles my mind the times people want to handle and/or shoot a firearm. The last thing I ever want to do after drinking is handle something that has the ability to kill me or someone else with the slightest mishap in judgment and care. I feel the same way about driving impaired and have zero sympathy for anyone who has received a DUI.

18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Huh? Not much experience with drunks, while you're sober, I take it.:upeyes:

19. Bruce M

Bruce M

Good job to get the gun away from him.

:rofl::rofl:

20. Longtooths

Longtooths

How much was the 45-70?