GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
11,964 Posts
America would get behind term limits for congress
Be careful for what you wish for. If we have a good justice, it could get replaced with one we dont like. The way it is right now, they CAN get rid of any one of them if they really wanted to. They just dont want to. But Trump could make it happen in his second term if carefully done.

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
Ok, then be consistent and have term limits for both houses of Congress, 6 yrs for Representatives and 12 yrs for Senators, no more disgraces like 51 yrs for Richard Byrd a former KKK big wig, 40+ for Fat Teddy Kennedy, Daniel Inouye (spelling?), 30+ for the obnoxious Nancy Pelosi and Yuckie Chuck Schumer. Won't happen. Don

·
RIP Stan Lee.. . .
17,154 Posts
Seems unconstitutional to me....
If they ever pack the Supreme Court with radical leftist, they can claim the Constitution says whatever they want, and the court will back them on those claims.

i.e. As long as you can own a Red Ryder, your right to own guns is not infringed.

Reactions: n2g and hogship

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
"How long is the term of a Supreme Court Justice?

The Constitution states that Justices "shall hold their Offices during good Behaviour." This means that the Justices hold office as long as they choose and can only be removed from office by impeachment.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/about/faq_general.aspx#:~:text=How long is the term,removed from office by impeachment. "
Thank you, I was actually wondering about that.

In light of that this bill seems like a waste of time and taxpayer money.

I vote "naye" and yield to the gentleman from Kentucky who resembles a turtle

·
Registered
11,596 Posts
Seems unconstitutional to me....
Article III states that these judges “hold their office during good behavior,” which means they have a lifetime appointment, except under very limited circumstances - like being impeached and removed from office.

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
If you can't win, change the rules. Sounds like they are admitting defeat.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-u...court-justice-terms-to-18-years-idUSKCN26F3L3

"Democrats in of the House of Representatives will introduce a bill next week to limit the tenure of U.S. Supreme Court justices to 18 years from current lifetime appointments, in a bid to reduce partisan warring over vacancies and preserve the court’s legitimacy.

The new bill, seen by Reuters, would allow every president to nominate two justices per four-year term and comes amid heightened political tensions as Republican President Donald Trump prepares to announce his third pick for the Supreme Court after the death on Sept. 18 of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, with just 40 days to go until the Nov. 3 election."
They may be blowing smoke. Doesn’t the Constitution say lifetime?

But if this is a reasonable thing, maybe term limits should apply to all federal judges.

·
Registered
15,280 Posts
Be careful for what you wish for. If we have a good justice, it could get replaced with one we dont like. The way it is right now, they CAN get rid of any one of them if they really wanted to. They just dont want to. But Trump could make it happen in his second term if carefully done.
No Supreme Court Justice has ever been removed from office through impeachment.

I suspect even this crop of Democrats is not willing to try to impeach a Justice without a super-majority already in the Senate.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I don't like messing with the Constitution. But I think term limits on all of them is sure tempting.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
All these years the right never proposed increasing the size of the Supreme Court in order to achieve a conservative majority. Power shifts from time-to-time, and when you're on the outs, you just have to sit back and accept it until the tide turns again.

Reactions: Bish1309

·
Registered
15,280 Posts
If that were to pass it would surely end up in the federal courts. Wonder how that would go?
The law allows Congress to set the size of the court, however the Constitution sets the criteria for the limitation of the term. Congress has nothing to say about it. It would require a Constitutional Amendment.

·
King Doofus.
5,473 Posts
Oh, they'd love that. Then 18 years from now, if they have a dem majority, they could have an all liberal court. That's assuming they don't destroy the country before then.

·
Registered
30,836 Posts
Sounds like a great idea. Term limits for congress.

·
Registered
27,147 Posts
I wonder if the Dem's proposing the bill realize that legal challenges to its constitutionality (if ever passed and signed) might put it before the supreme court?
:headscratch:

Reactions: n2g

·
Registered
27,147 Posts
Sounds like a great idea. Term limits for congress.
Some of the guys were talking about this over cigars ... except they decided to improve upon the idea by extending such a limitation to serving any political office, meaning once you've reached your limits in any elected office you couldn't run for any other office. No more "political careers". When you finished your allotted "service to the People" in one elected office of your choice, you had to go back to having a real job for the rest of your life, and couldn't just flit from one political position to another.
:animlol:

Hey it makes as much, or more, sense than some of the weird stuff that comes out of quite a number of state and fed legislators, right. :p

41 - 60 of 72 Posts